Author Topic: Why default route on WiFi?  (Read 752 times)

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 3
    • Newburgh Lights
Re: Why default route on WiFi?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 10:04:53 AM »
I just pushed a fairly large update which includes a config upgrade.
Just did the update:
Version: v2.x-master-649-g37ba71fc (master branch)  Host: FPP-1 (192.168.131.81 169.254.178.51 192.168.203.81)
Base configuration has changed. Reboot Required -

I've never seen that before on a update...  Did the re-boot
Version: v2.x-master-649-g37ba71fc (master branch)  Host: FPP-1 (192.168.131.81 192.168.1.81 192.168.203.81)

Wow!  Came up exactly as it should!  Note that when I did the re-boot, it took about 30 seconds from "Yes" to the re-boot until pings restored.  There were only four missed pings on both eth0 and wlan0 (obviously I can't ping eth1 since the only thing connected to it is the ColorLight card.  Guess now it's time to update the other FPP installation (it got the new image last night).

Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 10:16:02 AM »
Woo Hoo!
On the second FPP installation, changed eth1 to static with IP of 192.168.1.82, Updated Interface but did not restart Network.  Then applied the latest update and the required re-boot.  Took a few seconds longer, but came up perfect:
Version: v2.x-master-649-g37ba71fc (master branch)  Host: FPP-2 (192.168.131.82 192.168.1.82 192.168.203.82)

Thanks Dan!

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 01:01:31 PM »
Crap.
After the update my pis are no longer communicating with xlights.
My eth0 has stopped working.
I wasn't having any problems until this update.

Every one I update it has the same problem.
I can't connect to the pi through the eth connection and under Network when I try to Ping the eth0 it fails

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 01:48:15 PM »
I have a simple setup using the Wi-Fi to connect to my home router with a static IP and a gateway.
I use the eth0 to connect to my Show Network with all static IPS and no gateways.
My show computer has two ethernet connections one to the home network and the second one dedicated to the Show Network. The home network is your typical 192.168.1.xxx
The show network is set as192.168.5.xxx.
At the moment I cannot communicate with the pis through the Show Network IP only through the Wi-Fi on the home network IP.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 111
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 02:15:35 PM »
I have a simple setup using the Wi-Fi to connect to my home router with a static IP and a gateway.
I use the eth0 to connect to my Show Network with all static IPS and no gateways.
My show computer has two ethernet connections one to the home network and the second one dedicated to the Show Network. The home network is your typical 192.168.1.xxx
The show network is set as192.168.5.xxx.
At the moment I cannot communicate with the pis through the Show Network IP only through the Wi-Fi on the home network IP.

I lost wifi (eth0) connections after one of these recent updates. Connected a CAT5 cable, got reconnected and did the another update Dan had waiting. Now wifi works again.  He moved a bunch of stuff around.

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »
Went to one of the pis that I didn't update and checked multisink and found that the ones I updated are using the Show Network but on a completely different IP then what they have set.
It looks like they're ignoring the static IP that I have there and going for DHCP.

Offline bpos

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »
Crap.

I can't connect to the pi through the eth connection and under Network when I try to Ping the eth0 it fails

etho in static is no longer the "forced first" address. The IP defaults to the first open address on the router?
Not sure how to get a static address any longer?

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 04:27:13 PM »

Also, it seems like we lost the "My IP address..." text message on the console output somewhere along the way   (or maybe it happens earlier and gets scrolled off the top - I don't see it at the bottom any more).

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 04:35:33 PM by pixelpuppy »
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 04:29:42 PM »
Crap.

etho in static is no longer the "forced first" address. The IP defaults to the first open address on the router?
Not sure how to get a static address any longer?
What, are we all forced to run multicast?

Offline bpos

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
I have wlano and etho both set to static and neither work any longer. May need to revert to back to where it was?

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 04:34:37 PM »
And another weird thing with this -649 release...

If I boot up with Eth0 connected, and then disconnect it while running, FPP still thinks its connected.  The Ip address and Ip routes via eth0 still remain.

However if I boot up with nothing connected to eth0 and then connect it after boot up, then FPP brings up the interface and eth0 routes. If I then remove the cable, the IP address and eth0 routes go away as expected.

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 04:40:24 PM »
What I don't get is why it needed to be changed I didn't have a problem with it the way it was at all, everything was running fine with the networking on 4 different pis.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 111
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »
What I don't get is why it needed to be changed I didn't have a problem with it the way it was at all, everything was running fine with the networking on 4 different pis.

It was to fix this problem:  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,9246.msg85983.html#msg85983

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 05:38:34 PM »

It was to fix this problem:  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,9246.msg85983.html#msg85983
Actually it was more a fix to a problem brought up several messages into this thread.  The issue I was seeing was that if I assigned a static IP to eth1, then the Pi was assigning that same address to both eth0 and eth1 - oops.  The fix is working perfectly for me now, but I have not tried changing eth0 to static (only eth1).  Work has interfered with my ability to do any further testing until later this evening.
Note that in my case, eth1 is only connected to a ColorLight card so it could not get a DHCP address - therefore it self assigned a 169... address which annoyed me (it does not matter to the ColorLight).

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 05:59:13 PM »

Actually it was more a fix to a problem brought up several messages into this thread.  The issue I was seeing was that if I assigned a static IP to eth1, then the Pi was assigning that same address to both eth0 and eth1 - oops.  The fix is working perfectly for me now, but I have not tried changing eth0 to static (only eth1).  Work has interfered with my ability to do any further testing until later this evening.
Note that in my case, eth1 is only connected to a ColorLight card so it could not get a DHCP address - therefore it self assigned a 169... address which annoyed me (it does not matter to the ColorLight).
I have a couple of colorlight cards and they were working fine the way it was with eth1 as DHCP I guess I hadn't even thought about setting them as static.

Actually I remember setting them as static briefly on version 1.10.