Author Topic: 2.x - Rasclock RTC no longer working  (Read 719 times)

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
Re: 2.x - Rasclock RTC no longer working
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 07:58:36 AM »
doesn't it leaving it on the network cause flooding? or delays because I have a lot on my home network already
That all depends on how you have your network set up.  I don't send "show data" out on the home network.   All my FPP's send show data out their eth0 ports to dedicated controllers, or to hats/caps/capes and they are set up to use the WiFi to for Internet access to get the time and for me to get to the FPP web interface.

But even if you did send show data out on the home network it shouldn't cause flooding unless you use multicast for everything.  If you use direct IP addressing instead of multicast you wont have flooding.
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline brichi

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 08:00:58 AM »
doesn't it leaving it on the network cause flooding? or delays because I have a lot on my home network already
That all depends on how you have your network set up.  I don't send "show data" out on the home network.   All my FPP's send show data out their eth0 ports to dedicated controllers, or to hats/caps/capes and they are set up to use the WiFi to for Internet access to get the time and for me to get to the FPP web interface.

But even if you did send show data out on the home network it shouldn't cause flooding unless you use multicast for everything.  If you use direct IP addressing instead of multicast you wont have flooding.

thats a good point, I think my show outputs through eth0 to my F48 and other remote Pi's

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 69
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 08:26:26 AM »

I kind of went a different route, but more expensive.   (I work from home so having a good network is worth the investment).   My network is COMPLETELY made up of Ubiquiti Unify equipment.   My "router" is a Unify Secure Gateway, all switches (5 of them) are managed Unify switches, and all access points are Unify (one dedicated for the show devices).   With the Unify stuff, it's TRIVIAL to setup a separate VLAN for the show devices.   For ports where I have show devices connected, I set them to the show VLAN.   The one access point is set for the show VLAN, etc...   Thus, the network itself keeps all the show traffic away from the home traffic.   When a "show" device starts up, the switch sees it on a "show" port and it gets the right dhcp address.     All my show devices ONLY use one network adapter (either wifi or ethernet depending on location/function).

However, the best part is that since the Secure Gateway is the "gateway" for both networks and it automatically sets up the routing for the vlans, I can directly login to all the show devices from my home network.    All the show devices on "vlan 2" are assigned 192.168.2.x IP's (dhcp) and my home devices are all 192.168.1.x, but I can still get to all the 192.168.2.x IP's from my home devices.  (I also have a separate 192.168.3.x vlan for various other IoT type devices like my smappee monitor and solar panel monitor and irrigation controller, etc...)
Dan Kulp

Offline brichi

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 08:34:19 AM »
thats awesome, so I shouldn't have any issues if my show is on its own isolated router thats not on my network and the Pi is pushing out the data over the lan port BUT I have the wifi on the Pi connected to my home network router just to pull time and updates?

Offline jbskelton

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 09:02:24 AM »
FPP DS1305/DS1307 clock working on Pi-Cap with update v2x-master-654

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 69
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 09:05:35 AM »
FPP DS1305/DS1307 clock working on Pi-Cap with update v2x-master-654

Cool!  Thanks for the confirmation.

Offline brichi

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 12:16:41 PM »

I just pushed some changes for the RTC configuration to try and streamline things between the BBB and Pi.  I hope that fixes the issues.  I can confirm that the RTC is working on the BBB.   I don't have an RTC for the Pi so I'm not sure if  it fixes the Pi stuff as well. 

That said, I still think it's crazy that people are running their devices without internet access.   It's called "Internet of Things" for a reason.

Tested,

FPP DS1305/DS1307 clock working on Pi , Rasclock still is not but I think that may be the rasclock being it never shows up in command lines either
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:24:32 PM by brichi »

Offline jbskelton

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 02:22:35 PM »
That said, I still think it's crazy that people are running their devices without internet access.   It's called "Internet of Things" for a reason.

What about middle of cornfield no internet connection Standalone mode.  ;)

Offline mac50

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2018, 01:05:08 AM »

What about middle of cornfield no internet connection Standalone mode.  ;)
Straying off subject so apologies in advance,
got a rtk gps base receiver and a weather station with web cam in a soybean field internet connected by ubiquiti network wireless hardware, so that can be done.
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KILNEOGA2
Wireless thru forest is hard to do, satellite too. Thats why the gps base is out there

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2018, 11:26:19 PM »

Believe it or not, there are still places that do not have internet! 

Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline bpos

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 01:32:00 AM »

Believe it or not, there are still places that do not have internet!

Amen. There are actually a few good reasons that one might not be using internet connection.