Author Topic: Using 3 Pin LOR Pixels Strands  (Read 513 times)

Offline Camphouse

• Kudos: 0
Using 3 Pin LOR Pixels Strands
« on: August 12, 2018, 09:07:48 PM »
I am converting most of my show over to use a Falcon F16v3 and have my old LOR controllers working off that so that part of my setup is good. What I really need help with is getting the Cosmic Color II controllers to work with it. I've searched through all the forums and cannot find an answer. If anyone knows the answer please let me know.

To work around it I'm hoping to maybe just use the pixel strings that came with the CCC II controllers. All are 12v 2811s but I can't see to get them to work when hooking them up to the Falcon. Strings work when I hook them up the the CCC II but do not work when I connect to the Falcon. Thinking it's something with the Pin Outs - V+ D G between the pigtails on the Falcon and whats on the LOR pixel string. Not sure how to figure that out. Know what the wires are on the LOR strings but all combinations I've tried to connect it to the Falcon using the pigtails that came with the prebuilt Falcon controller don't seem to work.Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Just don't want to buy new pixels if I don't have to.

Thanks,Chester
Thanks,
Chester

Offline andyaz

• Kudos: 3
    • Bentley Lane Holiday Magic
Re: Using 3 Pin LOR Pixels Strands
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 10:32:07 PM »
Cosmic color controllers are DMX devices. They plug into the DMX ports on the F16 and use a straight thru CAT5 cable when you set the DMX port jumpers to the "LOR" position on the F16.
I normally just leave the LOR unit ID as 1 on the CCC which equates to the starting DMX channel of 1.
Then in the F16 you map the universe you want to send to that DMX port. It will come out of the port starting as DMX channel 1 regardless of the E1.31 universe you map to that DMX port.

I hope that made sense...

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 111
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 06:18:38 AM »
I don't think that LOR's CCR are WS2811. They are something "else"

Offline Camphouse

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 06:24:09 AM »
Mine are bullet pixels not ribbons and according to LORs website they are 2811 which is why I cant really figure out why they wont work as just another string of bullet pixels.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 08:02:49 AM »
Mine are bullet pixels not ribbons and according to LORs website they are 2811 which is why I cant really figure out why they wont work as just another string of bullet pixels.
Do they have a clear or semi-clear encasing where you can see the wires and markings inside? If so, can you get a clear, close-up picture of the bullets showing some of the markings?? 
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline Camphouse

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 04:47:14 PM »
On my way home from work. Can get it once Im home. Case on the pixel is clear and I can see what each wire is and the direction.

Will upload some photos soon.

Offline Camphouse

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 08:21:42 PM »
Here are some photos of the bullet pixels from LOR

Chester

Offline 1983ss454

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 10:28:42 PM »
Here are some photos of the bullet pixels from LOR

Chester

You can clearly see the markings, you need to check what pins in the connector are what and verify they are gong to the correct spot on the other end of the pigtail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Camphouse

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 10:31:26 AM »
Here are photos of the pigtail sent with the prebuilt Falcon controller.

If someone could tell me how to correctly connect to the Falcon controller I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chester

Offline Dennis Laff

• Kudos: 2
  • Retired Machinist
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
the 3 wire pigtail is that the one you connected to the lor controller  if so look at the lor controller to see which color wire went to positive ,negative and data and then connect to the falcon the same way.

Offline Camphouse

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »
Hey Dennis - That's what I though too but it doesn't seem to work with the Falcon pigtail. Do you think they could just be incompatible?

The female pigtail on the Cosmic Color II device is wired directly to the board in in the enclosure. My concern is not knowing what the pins on the Falcon pigtail are - Can I assume that (if looking at the male plug) that the red wire goes to the bottom left pin - the yellow wire goes to the upper middle pin and the blue goes to the lower right pin?

Should be simple but it's not working when I connect the pixels to the pigtail to the controller. 

Offline Dennis Laff

• Kudos: 2
  • Retired Machinist
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 01:06:29 PM »
do you have an ohm meter to check the wires with because you really can't assume anything  isn't the lor board labeled  How far is Bartlett from Midway airport I'm a few miles from  the airport take a ride down here on the weekend and i'll figure it out for you Dennis

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 01:46:29 PM »
DO NOT TRUST THIS - But...

Under "normal" wiring, Brown would be your V+, Blue would be your V-, and Yellow would be your Data.

ONCE AGAIN, CHECK, CHECK and CHECK again.

Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline Camphouse

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 11:22:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for your ideas, suggestions and patience - Dennis took your suggestion and went back and reviewed everything - tracked how it ran into the CCP II and found what I was doing wrong. The connection for the pigtail connecting to the Falcon ended up being the issue - red ended up having to connect to ground and blue to V+ and yellow remained as the data connection. Tried it with all the LOR pixels - bullet and C9 and it worked. Even tried on one of my differential expansion boxes connected to the expansion board on the Falcon and all good.

Your ideas and suggestions saved me from having to purchase more pixels and now I can sell my CCP II controllers and not spend it on more lights....yeah right!  8)

Thanks again everyone!
Chester