Author Topic: New show router suggestion  (Read 516 times)

Offline vcuncg

• Kudos: 0
    • Busbee Christmas
New show router suggestion
« on: August 29, 2018, 11:09:01 AM »
My current (cheap) router is lagging and needs to be replaced.  Before just buying a new one, I was curious if anyone has had success with a specific model or if there are ones that should definitely be avoided.  I have 2 F16v3s, one Renard TR24 and am using FPP 1.10. Thanks!

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
Re: New show router suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 01:45:16 PM »
My personal suggestion is Ubiquity XRouter. This can act as both home and show router in one.  If wireless is required, appropriate AP's can be added. Personally I have an AC-PRO and AC-Mesh on my home network, and two nanostation loco M2's doing wireless with a handful of ESP controllers on my show side.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 04:01:21 PM »
How do you know it is the router causing lagging?  I use a Dlink router for my show that is at least 10 yrs old and it works fine.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 05:45:28 PM »
EdgeRouter X is a great router, but if you are not a network person, you will need help setting up.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 05:59:49 PM »
How do you know it is the router causing lagging?  I use a Dlink router for my show that is at least 10 yrs old and it works fine.

I'm with Jim. You may be trying to send too much data (bridge mode) over wireless.

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 05:56:25 AM »
I use an Asus router with wrt firmware installed.  It has been very stable for me.  I have an Ubiquity UAP-AC-PRO-US access point installed in the attic which gives me a good signal in all my yard.

Offline vcuncg

• Kudos: 0
    • Busbee Christmas
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 09:07:37 AM »
Thanks for all your help. It turned out that it probably was the router. It finally gave up the ghost and died last night.  :-\ Will not turn on again. I am glad to know that a simple one will work just fine, so I will go pick up a new one and get back to the fun. Thanks again for always providing help for my silly questions