Author Topic: Falcon Controller and 36V 30W flood lights  (Read 793 times)

Offline Xenia

• Kudos: 0
    • XeniaLights
Falcon Controller and 36V 30W flood lights
« on: September 03, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »
I am ordering a dozen 36v - 30W WS2811 floods from Ray Wu.  Is there a Falcon controller that I can directly power and control these units through running the 36V through the Falcon board.  I am going to be running these in two set of six floods.  If not, how would I wire a differential board to send data and power the floods separately?

Offline bgedney

Re: Falcon Controller and 36V 30W flood lights
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 07:05:18 PM »
Xenia-

Did you get the 36V Floods up and running?

I ordered 2 and tried to connect 'em to my F16V3, and it really doesn't like the data channel.  Did you have any issues connecting yours?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 09:13:06 AM »
I am ordering a dozen 36v - 30W WS2811 floods from Ray Wu. 

Do you have the link to these?  We can assist better if we know exactly which ones you have.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 10:30:51 AM »

I ordered 2 and tried to connect 'em to my F16V3, and it really doesn't like the data channel.  Did you have any issues connecting yours?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill, that makes no sense. Can you elaborate what you mean by doesn't like the data channel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 05:40:47 PM »
Make sure that when you power your devices from a separate power source that you make sure that the grounds from the separate source and the Falcon are tied together or the data line will not work properly.

Offline bgedney

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 08:46:09 AM »
Thanks for your prompt response all-

I am ordering a dozen 36v - 30W WS2811 floods from Ray Wu. 
Do you have the link to these?  We can assist better if we know exactly which ones you have.
I ordered 2 of these DC36V input 30W high power led WS2811 controlled RGB flood light

Thanks,

Bill
Bill, that makes no sense. Can you elaborate what you mean by doesn't like the data channel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I mean is that while I have a string of outputs mapped to a FPP Test fill of Green, the light flickers all kinds of colors but when I have pixel floods that are 12V and powered using inline power, they are a steady Green fill.

Make sure that when you power your devices from a separate power source that you make sure that the grounds from the separate source and the Falcon are tied together or the data line will not work properly.

So, I'm a little lost and I think I've figured out my answer [thanks to a session timeout here on the forum, so this is a 'rewrite', but here we go again]:

I'm thinking this isn't going to work because the lights are 36v lights (and the V16v3 only supports a maximum of 13V un-modified, and a max of 24V modified).  And because the ground from the Controller PSU is really 12v-, and the ground the light is expecting is 36V- and substituting one for the other is ill advised. So, unless I'm completely wrong and I'm supposed to be using true earth ground (I dont think so, but I'm clearly not the expert here), the idea seems to be dead in the water. 

Thanks all

Bill

Offline rposgood

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 08:59:17 AM »
I have 4 of RobG's 24 volt floods tied together. I have the grounds connected from my 24v PS to my 12v PS (also feeds f16v3). I have the data line plugged into a single port. No other connections are made from the floods to the f16. Power and ground are directly connected to the pigtail. Works for me.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 09:12:01 AM »
Despite the voltage, ground is ground and there is no issue tying a 36V and a 12V powers supplies grounds together.  If you were to tie their positives together then you would have both an issue and some of that magic smoke but not on the grounds.  The problem is that with a single data line, it is referencing to ground.  The voltage to ground potential can be different from one power supply to another and a shifting load can cause the ground potential to vary over time as well and more than you might think.  If your data is coming from 1 power supply and the power is coming from another, the data is line will be referencing to a ground that is not at the same potential which can and in many cases does corrupt the signal.  Tying the grounds from the two power supplies together keeps them at the same potential and removes that corruption to the data signal.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 09:34:39 AM »
Here is a diagram I put together for using 36Vdc floods.  The controller can be any controller. I use a 12Vdc power supply to the controller.  The 36Vdc power supply feeds the floods and can be located next to them if you want.

Offline bgedney

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 01:26:54 PM »
Thank you all very much. 

I never would have thought to try that (out of fear that the V-/Grounds were too different). 

But alas- it works.  Thanks so much.

On to more planning.

Thanks,

Bill