Author Topic: Pixel mounting methods  (Read 342 times)

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 0
Pixel mounting methods
« on: September 14, 2018, 04:24:45 PM »
One thing I have noticed is that everyone has to mount their pixels somehow, yet there isn't a dedicated forum topic for this but there is for just about everything else. I have searched and found a few methods, but I would think it would be convenient to have all the mounting methods in one location. There are so many creative people out there and everyone has a different set of needs and we could probably all improve our displays in one way or another. I would suggest that when you reply, put the type of display item you are mounting and what you are mounting it to in the subject line so that people can find what they need easily and maybe make this a sticky if there is enough response? I am in the middle of setting up my first animated display this year and I will post my methods when I can get pictures. The method I am using to mount my pixels to my eaves is going to be 1/2" PVC pipe drilled out every 3" with a 1/2" drill bit. The holes are snug but not tight and I don't think there will be a problem with them coming out. If so, I will just add a touch of hot glue. I want my display to be easy to set up and take down and to be some what easy to store. I have 1/4" hook eyes installed as needed to provide the support (I think 3 for a 10' section will be enough) and then I have 7/8" cup hooks (White to match the eaves) installed behind the eave. The hooks will stay year round and when it is time to install the lights, all I have to do is to hang the PVC on the hooks and done! I will elaborate as I get things more complete and show pictures of my installation.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 6
Re: Pixel mounting methods
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
FYI.....I use a 15/36 drill thru front and back (using a jig)  then I redrill the backs with easy bit to 5/8" - Press fit the pixel into the front hole.  Tight, but they will go in and lock in place.  Oversized rear hole makes it easy to insert pixel to front hole.  Then I cover back with a 3/4 PVC with 1/4 cut out the length.  Back screws on, but watch your pixel wires.

Offline johnonz2

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 03:22:42 AM »
I was thinking the same thing about there should be a designated spot for hanging lights. Im at that point now, a little bit behind on my first year of pixel lights in that I have to get a Renard controller to run my vast collection of retrofit LEDs then Im set. I guess my biggest problem with hanging the lights is to get them all in a row. I think Boscoyo has the only fix in town as far as thats concerned. I mean I guess you can get close by fidgeting with them under zip ties, but its such an expense already you know, then on top you have to get pvc to support the strips. I guess I just wanna know like everyone thats a noob if there is a cost effective way to get the same look as boscoyo without a drill press or nailing it to the wood like Griswald. Im using C9 rgb  on the parameter and around doors n windows, then the pixels to double up around some of the perimeter. My best guess is to run the c9s downward so you can see if any are off set, but Im open to what to do period with all of it. Best of luck to you all. It sure will be easier next year though.

Offline Lightsonthelake

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 08:10:30 PM »
I went with boscoyo chroma strips. Mounted to 1/2 pvc. Pvc is mounted using nutcerts on the house with 1/4 screws going through the pvc. Works great. Gives a smoother look when props are down. Easy install when season starts. This is my first year with pixels and I went through many mounting options before I decided on this setup.