Author Topic: FPP 2.0 & hidden WiFi networks?  (Read 260 times)

Offline cmanucy

• Kudos: 0
FPP 2.0 & hidden WiFi networks?
« on: September 16, 2018, 08:49:46 AM »
I'm looking to setup my FPP, but the wireless network I use for managing the show network is hidden.  The FPP doesn't want to associate to the AP unless I broadcast the SSID.

I'm good with Linux, so I don't mind CLI - I just don't want to step on files that might be managed via the web interface or get smashed in an upgrade.  And advice on this one?

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 54
Re: FPP 2.0 & hidden WiFi networks?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:38:20 AM »

You could try editing the SetupFPPNetworkConfigViaConnMann function in /opt/fpp/scripts/functions and where we add the Passphrase/SSID to the config file, add another line of "Hidden=true" .  If that doesn't work, I'm not really sure.  You'll need to research how to do it via connman.   
Dan Kulp

Offline cmanucy

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 11:57:48 AM »
Thanks I'll give that a go next time I drag the monitor out :)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 107
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »
Thanks I'll give that a go next time I drag the monitor out :)

That can be done using SSH (see Help / SSH Shell) or use something like PuTTY.
ID/Pwd is    fpp / falcon

Offline cmanucy

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »
I know - but if I mess with the WiFi and it doesn't come back, I have to get hands-on-keyboard.  I don't have the eth0 plugged in while I'm in this testing phase (basically this is a wireless P10 setup at the moment while I test/play with it).

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 9
    • The Miller Lights
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 12:20:13 PM »
I'm looking to setup my FPP, but the wireless network I use for managing the show network is hidden.  The FPP doesn't want to associate to the AP unless I broadcast the SSID.

I'm good with Linux, so I don't mind CLI - I just don't want to step on files that might be managed via the web interface or get smashed in an upgrade.  And advice on this one?
I'm not trolling, just trying to help, but there isn't really such a thing as truly hidden wifi SSID's as even those are easily scan and discoverable.  It's an old practice that not really used any more because of that.  This article popped up in a quick Google search, and there are hundreds more out there...there are basic tools that give even the least technically skilled the ability to find your *hidden* wifi SSID.

With that said, my suggestion is to save yourself the headache and unhide your wifi SSID as it isn't buying your *any* additional security and giving you more trouble in getting your FPP working over it :)

Offline cmanucy

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 12:58:27 PM »
I'm not trolling, just trying to help, but there isn't really such a thing as truly hidden wifi SSID's as even those are easily scan and discoverable.  It's an old practice that not really used any more because of that.  This article popped up in a quick Google search, and there are hundreds more out there...there are basic tools that give even the least technically skilled the ability to find your *hidden* wifi SSID.

With that said, my suggestion is to save yourself the headache and unhide your wifi SSID as it isn't buying your *any* additional security and giving you more trouble in getting your FPP working over it :)

Thanks for the thoughts.  And yes, I realize it's not helping security.  What it does is reduce the ridiculous list of wireless networks I have and reduce confusion amongst friends and family :)  You know, happy wife, happy life? 

But you've got a point - it's all about how much friction you want to deal with where, eh?

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 9
    • The Miller Lights
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 01:27:23 PM »
I can definitely appreciate the "happy wife" reasoning :) Especially when she already has to put up with all the time this hobby consumes :)

Offline cpnbnanamn

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 07:48:01 AM »

You could try editing the SetupFPPNetworkConfigViaConnMann function in /opt/fpp/scripts/functions and where we add the Passphrase/SSID to the config file, add another line of "Hidden=true" .  If that doesn't work, I'm not really sure.  You'll need to research how to do it via connman.
I'm looking to do this to my pi's as well.  My SSID's are hidden as a rule, but I wanted to make sure that I'm editing the correct part of the file. 
This is under my SetupFPPNetworkConfigViaConnMann function.  I'm guessing that I'm just going to add a line under the echo "Passphrase....." like I have placed in red.  Is this correct?  Or would it be better suited to put in the /var/tmp/fpp.config file, as is referenced in the function?

for f in $CONFIGS; do
        . ${f}

echo "[service_$INTERFACE]" >> ${TMPFILE}
        if [ "x$SSID" != "x" ]
        then
            echo "Name=${SSID}" >> $TMPFILE
        fi
        if [ "x$PSK" != "x" ]
        then
            echo "Security=psk" >> $TMPFILE
            echo "Passphrase=${PSK}" >> $TMPFILE
            echo "Hidden=true"

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 54
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 08:36:57 AM »
Code: [Select]
        if [ "x$PSK" != "x" ]
        then
            echo "Hidden=true" >>  $TMPFILE

Make sure you direct the output of the echo to the TMPFILE

Offline cpnbnanamn

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 10:58:13 PM »
Code: [Select]
        if [ "x$PSK" != "x" ]
        then
            echo "Hidden=true" >>  $TMPFILE

Make sure you direct the output of the echo to the TMPFILE
That seems to have got it..  Now if I could get the rest of this working..  LOL   :-[
Thanks, guys.