Author Topic: Which controller to buy  (Read 554 times)

Offline bdowling

• Kudos: 0
Which controller to buy
« on: September 18, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »
I'm trying to figure out which controller to buy. I recently built a 16 channel relay with outlets controlled by a Pi and bought a bunch of dumb LED strips but because of the delay they didn't work properly so I had to use regular LED Christmas lights. I would like to get a controller that will run the dumb strips I already have as well as pixels I plan on purchasing. I know on Xlights you can make strips a single color but wasn't sure if that outputs properly with controller. Also, can any controller power the RGD flood lights? I'm assuming the dumb strips and flood would be similar for that. I was looking at the f48 differential but don't want to order anything until I know it will run everything I want it to.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
Re: Which controller to buy
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 11:41:00 PM »
You need a pixel controller like the F16V3 or F4V3 and also buy a dumb controller. Dumb controllers can be as little as 40.00. No one controller can run both smart and dumb.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline bdowling

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 09:48:16 PM »
Can I run both controllers with a single Pi?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 06:55:55 AM »
Can I run both controllers with a single Pi?

If one of your controllers is the F16v3, then you can daisy-chain the E1.31 output from it to your E1.31 based dumb controller

Or if the dumb pixel controller is DMX (most likely), you can drive that controller from the DMX output ports on the F16v3