Author Topic: Use Red Differential Expansion board with F16V3 (White)  (Read 182 times)

Offline Michael

• Kudos: 0
Use Red Differential Expansion board with F16V3 (White)
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:51:38 PM »

Can someone confirm if the red F16V2 4 port Differential Expansion board can be connected to the white F16V3 controller?  The F16V3 manual has conflicting information.

F16V2/F16V2R Differential Expansion - Connects to F16V2/F16V3 via ribbon cable with ability to drive four differential receivers. The receivers can be located up to 250 ft (76m) from expansion board. The new expansion boards will have two 40-pin IDC connectors to daisy-chain two expansion boards. Both differential or local expansions can be connected together.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pfd9Wxm8Asw2FAdOMr8-Nda2d8eqW-mp7sF7ticACeI

From Page 21 in the user manual:
Only the white PCB boards which match the F16v3 are recommended for use with the F16v3.  Use of previous expansion boards (red or blue in color) with the F16v3 may result in damage to the controllers.

[/size]

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Use Red Differential Expansion board with F16V3 (White)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 06:05:01 AM »
There is an "problem" wire in the ribbon cable, introduced when the Expansion board capability went from one board to two boards.

In my case, I have a "blue" expansion board for the F16v2. To make it work, I cut the #4 wire in the ribbon cable (counting from the red stripe)
Prior "fixes" involved removing the specific pin from the socket - I elected to just modify the ribbon cable.
This was info that I got from David Pitts.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 07:51:20 AM »
Can someone confirm if the red F16V2 4 port Differential Expansion board can be connected to the white F16V3 controller?  The F16V3 manual has conflicting information.
The old (red or blue) expansion boards are only compatible with the old (red or blue) controllers - unless you modify the pin/wire like Jon said.   The new (white) expansion boards will work with either new or old controllers
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 08:11:34 AM »
To piggy back on this question.  I pulled that pin out a couple years ago when the white came along one my red expansion 16 port board.

Now I want to daisy chain a white differential before the red 16 port expansion.  But having some issues with differential.  Not seeing it fully take the node counts etc.

Since the white differential has the selector for channels it's set for 33 to 48 and the 16 port not having a switch I assume is going to be 17-32, but as I say some strangeness for some nodes not following the quantity right out there on expansion land.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »
To piggy back on this question.  I pulled that pin out a couple years ago when the white came along one my red expansion 16 port board.

That's why I elected to cut the wire rather than pin pulling. I can always splice the wire back together (or use another cable)