Author Topic: F-Amp not getting data passed through  (Read 493 times)

Offline rjhodgefamily

• Kudos: 0
F-Amp not getting data passed through
« on: September 27, 2018, 07:24:21 PM »
So I am trying to get all of my new F-Amps wired up for a bunch of new props (31 in total) the first three worked fine with no problems so I continue making new cables and make another three before I try testing again. All 3 of these new amps are not getting data passed through.

When I go to do a line/sound test using a multimeter I get tone on both ground and on voltage but nothing on data. But my understanding is that should be fine. So the question is, is there a way to test the data line without hooking it up to a bunch of lights i.e. a multimeter or something else?

If it helps I am using Crocket 3 core pigtails on both sides of the F-Amp, and all of the F-amps came out of the same bag of 10 from PixelController. And I am using Solder Heat Shrink Butt Splice for tying them together.

Thanks,
Richard
Welcome to my insanity:
25 Lynx Expresses, 14 ESPixelSticks, 9 Falcon PiCaps, 2 Hanson RPi-28D PiCaps, 14 Raspberry Pis, 1 BBB with Optoscroller, and 2 Routers. Running 25 sequences and about 250,000 lights across 11 houses.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 75
Re: F-Amp not getting data passed through
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 07:38:34 PM »
Having three in a row not working is suspect. I have had no reports of trouble with them. They are a very simple device and not much to go wrong. I would check the wiring and make sure the data is flowing in direction of the arrow.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 07:47:39 PM »
Yeah I am sure I screwed up the wiring somewhere.  I am still pretty new to the whole pixel game. Things were much easier when I was just using Lynx Expresses. Ill tear one of them apart and double check all my wiring.

Thanks

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 07:51:51 PM »
Duh I feel stupid!!! I flipped the ground and voltage on all three of them. I wish these Crockett pigtails used standard colors instead of blue/brown/yellow green. Oh well live and learn. Thanks David.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 75
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 11:39:33 PM »
Duh I feel stupid!!! I flipped the ground and voltage on all three of them. I wish these Crockett pigtails used standard colors instead of blue/brown/yellow green. Oh well live and learn. Thanks David.

I carry 4 different types of pigtails including Paul zhang/CFOL. They are all

Brown = V
Yellow/Green = Data
Blue = Ground

So that seems to be the standard. :)

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 04:51:08 AM »
Yeah I realized after I opened my big mouth that those colors might be standard somewhere else. Looks like most of the world uses those as standard colors for electrical and the US are the odd ball ones. Funny how we always think the US is right and everyone else is wrong.

Thanks Again for the the help.

Richard