Author Topic: Differential Receiver  (Read 611 times)

Offline Rmaddox

• Kudos: -1
Differential Receiver
« on: September 30, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »
[size=0px]On the 4 string differential receiver, can I connect it to my F16V3 with a Cat 5 cable and have it running lights that will be about 70' from my F16V3 controller?  I'll have 210 pixels that I currently have attached through the standard SPI connectors, but they are so far from my controller that I get a lot of flickering and just erratic behavior.  When I attach them 10 feet or so from the controller they work correctly.  If I can use the differential receiver, do I just daisy chain it from the F16V3 or run it from the #1 serial port?  Another question, would I then set the differential receiver up with its own Universe number?[/size]

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 75
Re: Differential Receiver
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 04:21:54 PM »
Yes. You can.
1)Connect the receiver to DMX port 1.
2) In serial port page set all 4 outputs to "Pixel Data" and choose the string to send out the port.
3) On string port page configure the strings.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Rmaddox

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 08:13:33 PM »
Thanks, that's what I was thinking.  I do have one additional consideration.  I'm using serial port 3 to drive a Renard TR 24 plus to control 4 strings of regular LED lights that I have outlining my roof.  Will I still be able to do that and have Serial port 1 control the differential receiver?

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »
Output port one uses all 4 of the serial port outputs - 1 per output on the remote receiver. So, you may not be able to use serial output 3 IF you are going to use all 4 remote receiver outputs.

You can, I believe, use a lesser amount of outputs on the remote and leave one of the 4 serial settings for your DMX/Renard.

I'll be setting up my remotes during the week and will try this.  I'll let you know.
(Of course, David and others know this for sure.  I offer just in case they don't respond.)
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 08:30:36 PM »
Correct. If you use one of the serial ports for something like DMX, then you loose a port on the differential receiver. 

Offline Rmaddox

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 08:57:25 PM »
OK, thanks.  I'll keep checking the forum.

Offline Rmaddox

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
I may not have been clear on the ports that I'm  using to connect the Renard TR24.  I'm connecting the Renard to port 3 of the Falcon F16v3 controller board, not to the 4 string differential receiver.  The only thing connected to the differential receiver will be the 210 pixels and I'll be connecting the differential receiver to port 1 ( or port 2 if that will work better) of the Falcon F16v3.  I'm only needing on port on the differential receiver.  Will that work? 

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »
I may not have been clear on the ports that I'm  using to connect the Renard TR24.  I'm connecting the Renard to port 3 of the Falcon F16v3 controller board, not to the 4 string differential receiver.  The only thing connected to the differential receiver will be the 210 pixels and I'll be connecting the differential receiver to port 1 ( or port 2 if that will work better) of the Falcon F16v3.  I'm only needing on port on the differential receiver.  Will that work?

Take a peek at the User Manual..... Section 3.2.2.2
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S67ZVLgQRYsdqPhgfPkQucnFXvu1FmQAME9qnK5RixU
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline Rmaddox

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 09:14:03 AM »
I did read that section of the manual and thought that I could set things up the way I intended. I was just a little confused about the terminology and wanted to make sure that I was setting things up correctly.  I ordered a 4 string differential board. 

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 04:35:52 PM »
Confirmed (what has been said here).

Offline Rmaddox

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 03:39:29 PM »
I still haven't been able to get these lights to work.  I've attached them to the 4 Port Differential Receiver that I just received from Falcon and set up the interface and xLights, but I've not been successful.  I've studied and studied sections 3.2 & 4.2 of the F16v3 manual and thought I understood how to set it up, but obviously, I don't.  I got attachments on how everything is set up.  I'll also attach pictures of the actual physical set up of the F16v3 & differential board, but the file will be to large for me to send in one post. Maybe a fresh set of eyes will notice what is probably the obvious and I have overlooked. 

Offline Rmaddox

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
Here's the attachments showing the physical set up of the Falcon & differential receiver

Offline Rmaddox

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 03:45:35 PM »
I forgot to add a couple of things.  When I attach the lights to receiver ports 1 & 4, the first set of pixels come on, just random colors, one time white, maybe the next time blue, ect.  When I attach them to ports 2 and 4 of the receiver nothing comes on.  No lights work (except the first pixel) when I test them on the Falcon interface page or in the test function in xLights.  I've got a Renard plus 24 configured to serial port 3 of the Falcon and it works fine. 

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 75
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 05:50:04 PM »
Looking at your setup...
1) You are connecting receiver to DMX#2 on F16v3 so only port one on the receiver will work.
2) You have specified string port #1 as source of pixel data for DMX#2 but you define string port #1 on the string port page to have "0" pixel count?

Offline Rmaddox

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »
Yes, I have 0 pixels.  I'll correct that tonight when I get home.  I'm on a limited data plan at home and am currently out of data and won't have any until Friday, so getting on the internet at home is almost impossible and I'm doing this at work during breaks, ect.  I'll let you know what happens.  Thanks!