Author Topic: FPP EDM FM RDS  (Read 364 times)

Offline focusedonsound

• Kudos: 1
FPP EDM FM RDS
« on: October 07, 2018, 09:47:12 PM »
Can anyone either provide directions or point me in the direction of how to connect my EDM+RDS to FPP?

I have read a number of threads but none provide definitive instructions on how to get this up and running.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Offline TNF250

Zane
Springfield, TN

X-Lights - RPi3 - FPP - Falcon - DLA Lynx

Offline focusedonsound

Re: FPP EDM FM RDS
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »
I actually just came across the first thread you linked a few moments ago. But the best response there states ...

[Mostly] Comprehensive guide to get FPP to send RDS info to the EDM-RDS

I was looking for a more definitive guide on how to set this up. 

Offline Reys Dad

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 01:17:26 PM »
I just did this a few weeks ago and if you are using 2.x it's not very user friendly at the moment. Probably your best bet is to build your cable and ask the developers to put the updated code from https://github.com/drlucas/fpp-edmrds into FPP GUI "Plug-in" page. Then you could just install it and be done as long as you use the default pin headers.
However, I think they are pretty busy with other things at the moment so not sure when they will get to it. If you need it sooner I don't believe there is a more definitive guide out at the moment so unfortunately it will be a bit of a struggle. Especially if you are like me and didn't know a sudo from a nano from a hole in the ground. Googling Raspberry Pi commands was helpful just to be able to navigate inside the SSH shell.

Offline focusedonsound

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 07:43:03 AM »
I was able to get this working last night. 

I had already (the night prior) installed the plugin, which appeared to install fine.  I thought I would just be able to make the suggested changes and be ready to go.  Unfortunately that wasn't the case.  I had to uninstall, and re-install following these directions.

Once I did this it was fairly effortless.

If I have ten minutes to day I will make a post with updated instructions.

Thanks again for the help

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 9
    • The Miller Lights
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 10:27:45 PM »

I had already (the night prior) installed the plugin, which appeared to install fine.  I thought I would just be able to make the suggested changes and be ready to go.  Unfortunately that wasn't the case.  I had to uninstall, and re-install following these directions.

I would love to follow your new instructions as well :)

Offline Cjlocey

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 07:03:55 AM »

I would love to follow your new instructions as well :)
I second that.  I have a module and I have not been able to get it working so a good walk through would be greatly appreciated
Running display on pi's with picaps.....no controllers
Some said it could not be done!  4245 pixels and growing!
xLights & FPP - marriage made in pixel heaven

Offline focusedonsound

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 10:43:48 PM »
Responding to this here ..... Here is a link to the instructions I used to get my EDM transmitter working

EDM FM FPP Instructions.

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 11:07:48 PM »
Responding to this here ..... Here is a link to the instructions I used to get my EDM transmitter working

EDM FM FPP Instructions.
This is awesome.  Thank you so much for putting together such a nice guide!  I'm going to test it out this weekend!

Offline focusedonsound

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 08:51:09 PM »
Let me know if you have any questions ....Good luck

Offline Santacarl

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 05:28:24 PM »
Let me know if you have any questions ....Good luck
Thanks for doing this focusedonsound..... Those of us who are 'technology challenged' really needed something this detailed.
I have my EDM on order and once it gets here and I build it I hope you won't mind if I ask some questions then.....  Reading through your instructions I see places where your knowledge level is beyond my current knowledge and I'm not sure of some of the specific pieces/parts and what some of it means or I'm not familiar with some of the steps enough to get through it without a little clarification.....that's my shortcoming as I've just never ventured very far past a basic plug and play application.....

Offline focusedonsound

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 05:48:26 AM »
I should have sometime early this week to go through and add some pictures of my completed setup.  Along with some additional explanations.

Offline Santacarl

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 11:16:48 AM »
I should have sometime early this week to go through and add some pictures of my completed setup.  Along with some additional explanations.
Thanks focusedonsound....  Any help along these lines is greatly appreciated as it assists in understanding and learning this approach.....  I do have 1 question that I could ask at this point (hopefully won't take but a line or 2 and not require you much time per se as I don't want to interfere with the main effort to get out more info) that would get me started while I wait for your additional 'how to'.....and while I wait for my EDM to show up.... 

You mentioned in your "how to" instruction the following:  "Provided that your songs are tagged correctly, you should see the current song title next to the words "Now Playing:"

My question is where or how do you "tag correctly"?  Is that just the file name or is it some type meta data?  Once I know this I can start checking my mp3's for usability/compliance.

Offline Aaron Maue

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 02:42:57 PM »
He's talking about the id3 tags in the .mp3 file.  You can edit these with lots of different software packages.  Audacity, for instance, works well.

Here's a link to a page that describes it.  Super easy.  Other tools can do it too and would likely use similar menu structure...

https://www.dummies.com/education/internet-basics/create-edit-id3-tags-audacity/

Offline Santacarl

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 03:15:31 PM »
He's talking about the id3 tags in the .mp3 file.  You can edit these with lots of different software packages.  Audacity, for instance, works well.

Here's a link to a page that describes it.  Super easy.  Other tools can do it too and would likely use similar menu structure...

https://www.dummies.com/education/internet-basics/create-edit-id3-tags-audacity/

Thanks Aaron....I use Audacity so it should be fairly easy not that I know what the RDS looks for.....