Author Topic: P5 Panels - Newbie Questions (Mainly power related)  (Read 341 times)

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 9
    • The Miller Lights
P5 Panels - Newbie Questions (Mainly power related)
« on: October 09, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
I just received my P5 panel kit from Crockett.  It's a 4x4 panel kit that came with all the cabling needed, a Meanwell LRS-350-5 power supply and a Matrix PiHat.  I have a couple questions before I get started to make sure I properly understand *overall* power requirements:
Thanks in advance everyone!

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
Re: P5 Panels - Newbie Questions (Mainly power related)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »
One more question to add:
  • If I powered my Matrix PiHat / Pi and P5 panels off of different power supplies, do I need to share grounds anywhere or anything like that?  I don't know what involvement the Matrix PiHat has in any mixing of power to the P5 panels themselves so I wanted to make sure.

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 12:00:17 AM »
why not just create an all white sequence and measure the current with a meter on a single panel. Then you would have exact figures. You could even dim it and see the corellation of brightness to amps drawn? I tested my strings and they match very closely to factory specs.

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 12:48:21 AM »
why not just create an all white sequence and measure the current with a meter on a single panel. Then you would have exact figures. You could even dim it and see the corellation of brightness to amps drawn? I tested my strings and they match very closely to factory specs.
Sure, be logical about it :) I haven't had a chance to hook everything up yet on my panels so I was hoping there was some general guidance out there around averages before I start spec'ing things out only to find out later it was under spec.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 05:55:36 AM »
A Meanwell LRS-350-5 (350watts, 5v) is PLENTY of power for the P5 panels and the Pi.  Plenty. Adding a second supply in that setup is not needed.

But - if you were closer to your power limits and used two power supplies, it is a good practice to tie the DC grounds (-) together.
On the Pi, if you were using a 5vdc supply with a micro-usb end, you would find it harder to make that tie because it isn't very convenient.

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:06:31 AM »
A Meanwell LRS-350-5 (350watts, 5v) is PLENTY of power for the P5 panels and the Pi.  Plenty. Adding a second supply in that setup is not needed.

But - if you were closer to your power limits and used two power supplies, it is a good practice to tie the DC grounds (-) together.
On the Pi, if you were using a 5vdc supply with a micro-usb end, you would find it harder to make that tie because it isn't very convenient.

Thanks Jon!  Any idea of the average max amp for a panel at full white / 100%?

One more note, that's actually a 300W power supply...I was also confused because I saw its max amp output is 60A.  Then I looked up the specs...no idea why they called it 350 :)

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 01:02:19 PM »
One more note, that's actually a 300W power supply...I was also confused because I saw its max amp output is 60A.  Then I looked up the specs...no idea why they called it 350 :)

350 watts IN @ 85% efficiency = 300 watts OUT (+50 watts of heat generated)
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 01:15:13 PM »

350 watts IN @ 85% efficiency = 300 watts OUT (+50 watts of heat generated)
Ahhh. Makes sense. Learned something new, thanks.  But they arent consistent in that naming :( as my Meanwell RSP-500-12 power supplies are 500.4 watts out.  Thoughts?

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 10:53:58 PM »
Sure, be logical about it :) I haven't had a chance to hook everything up yet on my panels so I was hoping there was some general guidance out there around averages before I start spec'ing things out only to find out later it was under spec.

Sorry was'nt trying to be condesending. It looked like you already had the panels in hand.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 69
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 12:49:33 AM »
The power draw of the panels also depends a bit on the "driver".   ColorLights drive the panels a bit brighter and thus draw a bit more.   

Last week while setting up my 3x2 P5 TuneTo sign, I was using a KillOWatt kind of thing to measure the power draw with the PocketScroller.   With the 2.1 code, full white was drawing about 85 watts.  I made some code changes for 2.2 that will drive the panels a little bit brighter which has increased the pull to about 95 watts (so 16W per P5 panel).   That said, since most of use only use the display at night, we tend to turn the brightness way down.   And we also rarely display pure white on the entire panel. 

Dan Kulp

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »

Sorry was'nt trying to be condesending. It looked like you already had the panels in hand.

Haha, never took it as condescending, was making jokes...but as my wife often says "Only I think I'm funny" it's all good, your response was a good / logical one!

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 10:48:07 AM »
The power draw of the panels also depends a bit on the "driver".   ColorLights drive the panels a bit brighter and thus draw a bit more.   

Last week while setting up my 3x2 P5 TuneTo sign, I was using a KillOWatt kind of thing to measure the power draw with the PocketScroller.   With the 2.1 code, full white was drawing about 85 watts.  I made some code changes for 2.2 that will drive the panels a little bit brighter which has increased the pull to about 95 watts (so 16W per P5 panel).   That said, since most of use only use the display at night, we tend to turn the brightness way down.   And we also rarely display pure white on the entire panel.

Thanks Dan!