Author Topic: 2.x question  (Read 339 times)

Offline hedrickbt

• Kudos: 0
Re: 2.x question
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 06:17:57 PM »
@Santacarl,

You might want to check out the CanispaterChristmas YouTube channel. He just recently put out an "Installing FPP 2.x Series".  Here's the playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X95Rv4JGG_Y&list=PLFyrAfJ-kKd70zujml8t3agTNJuYce92b

Offline Santacarl

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 06:28:43 PM »
@Santacarl,

You might want to check out the CanispaterChristmas YouTube channel. He just recently put out an "Installing FPP 2.x Series".  Here's the playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X95Rv4JGG_Y&list=PLFyrAfJ-kKd70zujml8t3agTNJuYce92b
Thanks Hedrickbt.....I'll take a look.....I need all the input I can absorb...otherwise I'm likely to blow something up....   ;D

Offline Santacarl

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 07:37:55 PM »
Woo Hoo.....
Got 2.1.1 up and running.....Haven't started configuring yet....need to let my poor old 'punkin' rest a bit first!   ;D
Sure is easy once you understand what you're trying to do and have all the steps.....Thanks for all the help and links guys!   :) And....BTW....it does announce the IP if you have speakers connected!

Offline Loopz

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »
ip scanner works good. but you can always log into the router and see what's attached. it should name itself fpp
"It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. I've outrun Imperial starships. Not the local bulk cruisers mind you, I'm talking about the big Corellian ships now. She's fast enough for you old man. What's the cargo?" - Han

Offline Santacarl

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »
I do have a question now that I'm up and running..... Should I leave the check mark checked to "Disable Auto Update" in the "Help>About" tab?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 08:40:52 PM »
I do have a question now that I'm up and running..... Should I leave the check mark checked to "Disable Auto Update" in the "Help>About" tab?

I leave it checked. While I almost update when I see it is available, when it updates during a reboot it always makes me wonder if something isn't working right because it boots more slowly.

Offline Santacarl

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 10:46:43 PM »
Okay....now I went to upload audio and fseq files.....the first few uploaded fine but now the upload appears completed but the file isn't in file manager....
I took the Memory Stick out and checked....it is blank... no files or folders (I had formatted before powering up 2.0).  In the past versions when you installed the OS it created the folders on the memory stick......now nothing.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:55:53 PM by Santacarl »

Online Bwinter

• Kudos: 5
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 11:25:30 PM »
Okay....now I went to upload audio and fseq files.....the first few uploaded fine but now the upload appears completed but the file isn't in file manager....
I took the Memory Stick out and checked....it is blank... no files or folders (I had formatted before powering up 2.0).  In the past versions when you installed the OS it created the folders on the memory stick......now nothing.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you're using an external USB.  Did you configure for this in setup?

Offline Santacarl

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2018, 11:39:30 PM »

Any ideas?

Yep....using external USB stick........didn't realize I had to configure it.......How the heck do I do that?

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2018, 11:48:00 PM »

Any ideas?

Yep....using external USB stick........didn't realize I had to configure it.......How the heck do I do that?

Go to FPP Settings, External storage device, select your USB.

Offline Santacarl

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 12:32:48 AM »

Any ideas?

Go to FPP Settings, External storage device, select your USB.
Okay....thanks for the response.... So...it wants me to select a format type for the USB stick....which one do I need to select?
Also...in advanced settings  I notice there is a section called "E1.31 Bridge Mode Transmit Interval"....  It allows 1 timing selection.  So what happens if I have 25ms and 50ms sequences created in Nutcracker/Xlights....will the Pi play both or only the one that uses the timing selection that is selected here?  I saw that was there in version 1.x also but I had only run 50ms sequences prior to this year.....  Or is this something other than sequence timing and either 25 or 50 ms sequences in XL/NC will run?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:30:43 AM by Santacarl »

Offline Loopz

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 09:25:12 AM »
I dont know exactly about the bridge question, but.... what you have been doing is essentially putting the media or fseq files on the micro usb.  I would format and re image the 2.1 software before you get any further.  then first thing is set the flawsh drive (mount) to the default media drive.  this is my ocd but i don't want the media or fseq files anywhere near the fp operating system. then I use the most stable format the second option because I have no intention of using the flash drive for anything else.  I also only upload to it through the FPP gui.

Offline Santacarl

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 09:59:58 AM »
I dont know exactly about the bridge question, but.... what you have been doing is essentially putting the media or fseq files on the micro usb.  I would format and re image the 2.1 software before you get any further.  then first thing is set the flawsh drive (mount) to the default media drive.  this is my ocd but i don't want the media or fseq files anywhere near the fp operating system. then I use the most stable format the second option because I have no intention of using the flash drive for anything else.  I also only upload to it through the FPP gui.
Thanks for the response Loopz......  After thinking on it, and not wanting to clutter up my SD (where my OS is) so as to not risk slowing performance (not that I know that would happen....I'm just paranoid that way...haha) I had already re-flashed my SD with a fresh install..... I used, as you recommend, the 'most stable format'.....
Now.....If I find out about the bridge issue I can hopefully breathe easier!   ;D
I hope someone, with knowledge about the bridge, will weigh in.....  What I'm basically asking is can you place a sequence with 25ms timing in the playlist with sequences using 50ms timing and have both play properly with the 'bridge' set to 50ms as it appears to default to.....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:11:41 AM by Santacarl »

Online Bwinter

• Kudos: 5
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 10:33:34 AM »
Is there an official recommendation NOT to load your media on the microSD card now in v2.x?  Or are people injecting their own....beliefs...?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »
When you switched the Settings storage from Boot (uSD) to USB Flash, you were probably given a choice of

Don't Format
Format Fat32
Format EXT4
Format BTRFS

If your flash drive already held setting info, then you'd choose "don't format" Otherwise, it would all be lost

If you wanted the drive to to be "blanked" you would choose one of the next three
FAT32 is very standard formatting across virtually all computer platforms. But it has a stability problem related to power loss. If the FPP was actively writing to the Flash at the time of power loss, it will corrupt at least that file and possibly the entire drive. If you have any Logging boxes checked, there are things being written to the drive all the time. Power loss is like Russian Roulette.

EXT4 is a Linux format. It is very stable from a corruption standpoint due to the way it "journals" data. Much, much less likely to corrupt. BUT - and its a killer for some - your Windows PC is not going to like or even see the contents of that USB stick. There may be utilities that will let you mount the drive to view or edit but I haven't found them (haven't looked really hard, though). Disclaimer - I use the EXT4 format instead of FAT32.

BTRFS is also a Linux format. Like EXT4, it is a journal type format and stable, but it supports and uses ZIP compression for everything in the partition. Since FSEQ files are HIGHLY compressible, that means smaller drives can hold more FSEQ files. I've used this some. Same problem with reading on a Windows PC though.

If you do need to see or edit the content of an EXT4 or BTRFS drive, leave it mounted on the FPP and you can view it from your Windows PC using SAMBA. In the "Type here to search" window, usually bottom left of your screen, just type in \\192.168.xxx.xxx  and hit Enter. (you supply the xxx values). A window will open showing you an FPP folder. Inside that folder is the contents of your EXT4 or BTRFS or FAT32 drive.