Author Topic: 2500 Pixels  (Read 711 times)

Offline need_help

• Kudos: 0
    • Digital Marketing and App Development Agency
2500 Pixels
« on: October 19, 2018, 06:14:37 AM »
I'm about to order multiple Falcon products, but honestly I don't know what I need.  Can I power 2500 pixels (50 Strings) using one controller with an expansion board?  Do I need multiple Controllers?
I was thinking of this: (Controller)
https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=50&controller=product (Parent Controller)
Connects to: (Differential Controller)
https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=52&controller=product
Then: 3 or 4 of these: (4 String Differential Receiver)
https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=45&controller=product
I'm able to connect up to three strings per one channel correct?
Thanks for any help!
Falcon F16V3 / 16 Expansion Board (2) / WS2801 Pixels (50 per String) (5V Pixels) / 3 Raspberry Pi's / 2 8 Channel Relays (GPIO Pins)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: 2500 Pixels
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 06:28:16 AM »
The Falcon F16v3 can control A LOT of pixels (up to 1024 pixels per output, so a total of 16,384 pixels from the 16 outputs on a single F16v3) so that is not the issue.

It comes down to Layout (what will those 2500 pixels be doing) and power.

Yours are in 50 pixel sets and you can connect them "end to end" in longer strings. Way more than 3 (as you mentioned)

The Differential Receiver setup is a good option if you want the controller to be inside a garage, a long way from where the pixels are located.
If the controller and power supplies will be located together, the Differential concept is not needed.

To quickly answer - you probably will need just one controller. You will need multiple power supplies.
But for more complete advice, you will need to post a good layout description or sketch.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:36:26 AM by JonB256 »

Offline need_help

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 07:37:02 AM »
Wow that is awesome.  I will make up a sketch and send it over soon.  How many strings can you connect per channel?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »
Do not confuse channels with ports.  Channels are on a pixel.  Strings connect to a port.  Multiple strings can be connected together to make a long string with only 1 connection to 1 port, but than may mean that you have to start doing power injection.  Strings can also be cut to smaller lengths ( as small as 1 pixel - 3 channels).  Sounds like you need to do a lot more reading.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline need_help

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »
Jim,
That I do.  Last two years I used Raspberry Pi's and Relays, but this is all new.  I really want to upgrade my system.

Offline need_help

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 04:28:57 PM »
I'm still learning so I don't know how to group / sequence yet, but I'm in the purchasing portion of this project.  I ordered 2500 pixels and still have 50 incandescent strings. I can mix match, but I would like to just use smart led.  Here is what I'm thinking:

{attached}
I ordered the lights from China and they should be here in 3 weeks.  I'm going to order all of the Falcon equipment on Monday, but I just need your inputs on what I actually need and what books to read.  I'm watching movies now.  I'm amazed how different leds are from incandescent tech. All of the knowledge I know is rather useless.
Thanks for any information. I want to make sure I order all the correct equipment and scale back accordingly.  Every year I will grow, just need to know the best resources to read.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 03:41:37 PM by need_help »

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 05:13:33 PM »
You didnt mention which sequencer you intend to use (xLights, Vixen, HLS, etc.)

While youre waiting for equipment to arrive you should take this time to start choosing an learning the sequencer.  You can make a complete show in software before connecting any equipment.
-Mark

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 06:15:41 PM »
In your forum signature and your profile put your location.  You never know when you may find someone, or vice versa, nearby that you can visit with and get some face to face advise.

Check out the videos on
xlights.org
and
youtube.com for
- canispater christmas https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCby1v6Kbi8AHMkV2yMyF1MQ/videos
- gil jones https://www.youtube.com/user/AzGilrock/videos
- Keith Wesley https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVOKeP2mWsBEKqqHkT0QndQ/videos
- Clyde Lindsey https://www.youtube.com/user/leechburglights/videos

there are lots more, but there are some good ones in the above list.

Offline need_help

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 06:49:17 PM »
I'm playing around with Xlights mainly because it's cross platform and I don't need windows, but I'm pretty much up for anything really. 

That's a great idea about the signature.  I will have to set one up and see if I can find any locals.  I'm assuming there are people near NY / NY area.  Not too many in the country where I'm from.
For me to place the best order, should I just get one controller and some extra power boxes?  Do I need any 4 String Differential Receivers?  If not I will just order the https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=50&controller=product tonight to get the manufacturing started.  Of course I still have to order some power boxes and waterproof containers, I'm sure.  Then, a lot of learning!
Thanks for all the advice.  I will keep learning over the next month; i'm sure.

Offline need_help

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »
Wow, I really had no clue what I was getting into. I think I'm going to build a megatree this year and use incandescents for the fence.  My fence is way to large to continuously power inject. 

That leaves me with one major question, what power supply should I buy for a 5v pixels using the Falcon controller and expansion board?  The manual says I can go up to 32AMP.  So this should work: https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-Transformer-Converter-Security-Computer/dp/B078RXZVDH/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1540084954&sr=8-5&keywords=30+amp+5v+dc+power+supply
I don't want to burn out the expansion board before using it.

Offline Lightsonthelake

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 08:46:27 PM »
This is my first year using pixles. I'm so glad I did and you will too. I'm running just under 2500 pixles like you. I just ordered an expansion card for my f16v3. I however went against what many do. I ran my controller and psu's from a central location in my garage. I think I'll be at 26 channels between the houses, 3 props, mega tree running 12 strips, and a mega tree star. So I've still got 6 channels left. If you plan out your setup right you'll do just fine. Watch canispater Christmas on YouTube. Hes got alot of great info. Check out boscoyo studios for props and accessories. I do however think your too late in the year to order and set everything up in time. I started mine in Jan ordering and I'm still behind. Falcon is about 3 weeks out on delivery same with boscoyo.

Offline need_help

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 04:34:12 AM »
I'm afraid of that as well.  The ball is fully rolling now and I have a lot of work ahead of me.  As long as everything is up by December; I should be fine. Next year it will be up in July!  Just so I can get my moneys worth.  I never realized the total cost for everything and I'm not even done yet.

Offline Lightsonthelake

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 05:55:06 PM »
Order more then you need, because you'll always want more lol

Offline need_help

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 09:07:46 AM »
Falcon is working overtime!  They shipped everything 3 days after order...   :D