Author Topic: Brace yourselves...  (Read 2835 times)

Offline toozie21

• Kudos: 0
    • My website
Re: Brace yourselves...
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »
Ditto to twooly, that is how I did it as well.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 12:33:39 PM »
Ok.  So you viewed and accessed the system from the network on another machine?  Wow.  So I  might need connect a monitor via pi's hdmi for initial software loading?

Usually not. The loading is all done automatically. Most people just load SD card with software put it in the PI, connect PI to home network, plug in some head phones or speaker, power pi and wait for it to set itself up and announce the IP address over the speakers. Then just log into the webpage.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
i dont have a speaker or a keyboard or a monitor.

just a raspberry pi, sd card and a usb flash. everything else i do from the web page.

open a browser and type "fpp" as the web address, the web page comes up.

Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »
Depending on speed of sdcard it takes aprox 10 min on mine to install and update software to latest when it reboots.  I use a class 4 sdcard

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 199
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 03:25:33 PM »
Depending on speed of sdcard it takes aprox 10 min on mine to install and update software to latest when it reboots.  I use a class 4 sdcard

This definitely makes a big difference in install time.  I have a few newer Class 10 cards and it's like night and day how much faster they are compared to the 4GB Class 4 cards I am mainly using for testing.
-
Chris

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
Sean,
What is the purpose of the Behringer between the Pi and the transmitter?
I can't tell if it is plugged into the USB, or the audio out on the Pi.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »
it allowed me to adjust the level of sound coming out the 3.5mm audio jack on the pi  going into the edm input jack. i could also adjust the equalizer. i like having physical sliders for audio. i could have probably made adjustments to the sound levels using software.

It has worked great for the last couple of years having the mixer/equalizer between the pi and edm.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 05:04:20 PM »
After seeing Sean's reports and layout, I picked up one of those mixers as well, and it solved my issues of the Pi seemingly overdriving my FMT02 transmitter no matter how low I set the volume.  I tried baluns, audio isolator circuits, etc. and finally tried the mixer solution as one last shot before I decided whether to replace the transmitter or not.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 117
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »
So I  might need connect a monitor via pi's hdmi for initial software loading?

No, you will not need to connect a monitor. I've worked with all the beta versions and have never connected a monitor. Don't need it for setup or full production.

I use a Browser (usually Chrome but others work equally, even my Galaxy Note II browsers) for most everything.
I use PuTTy.exe for some troubleshooting (under direction from C.Murdoch or someone literate in Linux)
I use Windows File Explorer to access as "\\fpp" and it will let me easily add files or delete files in the Media folders.

but - no monitor. or keyboard. or mouse. ever.

(the "no monitor" thing may change with the Master/Slave/video out possibilities coming up)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:03:35 AM by JonB256 »

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 08:20:07 AM »
Viewed the tutorials and was quite surprised how much simpler the FPP is than I thought it would be...  Thought I had to learn linux, etc.  Pretty cool stuff! 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
It's a remarkable piece of equipment/software.  We would have used it last year except we had some sound issues with the FM02 transmitters - not the Pi as originally suspected.  My dad (PK) has figured out a solution that will allow us to use our Pis this year.  The user interface is super friendly and easy to use.  And you can remote into it while on your network or with VNC if you're out of network.  It's the simplest and cheapest dedicated "show computer" money can buy.

Dave and the rest of the team have done an amazing job - and are cool guys to boot!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2014, 10:11:10 AM »
Viewed the tutorials and was quite surprised how much simpler the FPP is than I thought it would be...  Thought I had to learn linux, etc.  Pretty cool stuff!

Part of David and Tony's original goal was to make it so that you didn't even know it was running LInux. :)  You shouldn't have to know what's going on under the hood to know what's going on out in the yard.  We're trying to make things as easy as possible while remaining flexible enough for power users to be able to do what they want as well.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »
My goal back in the beginning of all this was to have it as simple and fool proof as possible and that I could monitor it remote and still have my 70+ yr old mom be able to run it :)

Tony

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
This is a relief for me.   I barely understand the conversations here sometimes but it is quite interesting to me as I never had the opportunity to study computers/electronics.  I wasn't entirely sure I was welcome here until I watched the FPP videos... 

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 02:22:39 PM »
Oh please Sam, let your band hair out from under the hat and have a beer.  You won't get RJ barking at you here that you are too technical!

Now where's that video  or last years show   :'(