Author Topic: FPP 2.3 now available  (Read 3600 times)

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 68
FPP 2.3 now available
« on: October 24, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »

New Features:
  • Implement prev/next for "fpp -c"
  • Enable use of external drivers (Realtek) on Raspberry Pi's to match Beaglebones (requires re-imaging)
  • BBBSerial (DMX on Beaglebone Capes) - allow setting start channel to 0 to disable that output
  • Support for Hidden Wifi networks
  • Double buffering of Pi Matrix to reduce tearing
  • Allow reducing the "color bits" for Pi Matrix to increase refresh rates on longer chains
  • Add username/password settings for MQTT
Bugs fixed:
  • Null pixels on BBB strings and Pi strings causing sequences to not play
  • Fix multisync of videos not working at all due to full path names being sent
  • HDMI output of video on remotes should sync better with master (new omxplayer binary) (requires re-imaging)
  • Bunch of updates to Multisync code to get remotes syncing with master sooner after start
  • Update status display if just a sequence is running (not in a playlist)
  • Prioritize wlan0 gateway setting
  • Move SDL decoding (audio/video) to background thread to allow main thread to process commands
  • Fix video frame buffering to Pixel Overlay Models on remotes
  • Allow decoding of videos if no audio device is present
  • Fix issues with playlists containing filename that have %
  • For outputs that use a background thread, fix a race condition where data can be overwritten while outputting
  • Split "loading" the media and "starting" the media so it can send the start packet to the remote to start loading as well
  • In SDL, occasionally the current time would drop a second and then come back up. This really messed up remotes
  • Bunch of updates on remotes to properly report their position/status
  • omxplayer output crashes and speed adjustments
Upgrade instructions:
If you have a system running 2.1/2.2, you can go to the FPP about page (about.php) and click on the "Manual Update" button. At that point, a big green "Upgrade" bar should appear. You will get all the improvements above except those marked with the "requires re-imaging" note.

New images can be downloaded from https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/2.3
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:39:39 PM by dkulp »
Dan Kulp

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
Re: FPP 2.2 now available
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 02:10:19 PM »
Thanks for all the hard work Dan!   One question tho.... still no btrfs image for Pi?  ???
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Online dkulp

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 02:40:00 PM »
Thanks for all the hard work Dan!   One question tho.... still no btrfs image for Pi?  ???

No for a few reasons.  For one, Pi images take forever to create for some reason so creating two of them would suck even more.   On the BBB, I "create" a single image on the eMMC and then use the "flash" tool to flash it to two separate SD cards.   It's relatively quick, but not something I can do on the Pi.  It really would be two complete image builds.

Second, the initramd thing that is needed for btrfs booting on the Pi slows down the boot process by 20-30 seconds at least.   The Pi kernels don't have btrfs built in (like the BBB's do) so it needs to have an initramd to hold the modules and utils and such.  It boots from the initramd, then once booted, it swaps out the root partition and restarts everything.     

Third, because the initramd is specific to the target kernel/architecture, I couldn't get a single btrfs image that is bootable on both the older armv6 single core Pi's and on the newer armv7 Pi's.  Thus, I would need TWO btrfs images, so back to point one.

What I'm PLANNING on doing, just haven't had time, was to add a new option on the Advanced settings page that instead of expanding the filesystem on the card, it would allow creating a new partition on the card to cover all the unused space.  You could then select that as the storage location and format it btrfs.  The root/os partition would remain ext4, but the sequence storage and such could be btrfs.

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 02:55:26 PM »
What I'm PLANNING on doing, just haven't had time, was to add a new option on the Advanced settings page that instead of expanding the filesystem on the card, it would allow creating a new partition on the card to cover all the unused space.  You could then select that as the storage location and format it btrfs.  The root/os partition would remain ext4, but the sequence storage and such could be btrfs.

Well that would be a cool option, but unfortunately won't help my primary intention - which was to be able to read/write the root/os partition on a Windows machine.  I have not been able to find any tools that read/write ext4 (only read) under Windows, but I do have one that can read/write btrfs.   Not a huge huge deal and after reading your explanation about the differences in the build between Pi and BBB I understand why you didn't.

Online dkulp

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 03:06:45 PM »
Well that would be a cool option, but unfortunately won't help my primary intention - which was to be able to read/write the root/os partition on a Windows machine.  I have not been able to find any tools that read/write ext4 (only read) under Windows, but I do have one that can read/write btrfs.   Not a huge huge deal and after reading your explanation about the differences in the build between Pi and BBB I understand why you didn't.

Here is the next question: why do you need to read/write the root partition?  If all the configuration and sequences and music and everything is on the btrfs partition, what is needed to be done with the root partition? 

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 03:09:38 PM »
Here is the next question: why do you need to read/write the root partition?  If all the configuration and sequences and music and everything is on the btrfs partition, what is needed to be done with the root partition?

You're right, I was referring to the ability to modify the config files by mounting the SD card in a Windows machine.  We lost that ability with the switch to ext4 (which, overall, has been MUCH better than FAT32  :)  ).  So your plan may work for this, but I'm not sure because I don't know if the tool I have will recognize the card if an unrecognized FS (like ext4) is in the first partition .   Maybe it will, I don't know  :-[

And, of course, it somebody ever comes out with support for ext4 under windows that solves it too  ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 03:27:07 PM by pixelpuppy »

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 3
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:19:54 PM »
Upgrade of both of mine failed according to the pop-up after about 10 minutes from when I started the upgrade.  However, they both appear to have worked:
Version Info
FPP Version:v2.2
FPP OS Build:v2.0
OS Version:Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Kernel Version:4.14.62-v7+
Git Branch:v2.2
Local Git Version: fc0e5a7 ChangeLog               
Remote Git Version: fc0e5a7               
Disable Auto Update: 
System Utilization
CPU Usage:1.75%
Memory Usage:14.14%
Uptime
14:18:34 up 1 min,   load average: 1.75, 0.87, 0.33
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »
Upgrade of both of mine failed according to the pop-up after about 10 minutes from when I started the upgrade.  However, they both appear to have worked

I noticed that too.  Got the "upgrade failed" popup but I just closed the window and it seems like its all there

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 04:38:41 PM »
Also something is a little wonky with the image build (at least the Pi one).

Attempting to load a fresh new image on SD card boots fine and comes up as V2.2 and it says "update available".  Click on manual update, it goes through the motions, says update successful.   Go back to the about screen and its still says "Update Available"  ???    Lather-Rinse-Repeat......

Online dkulp

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 05:26:56 PM »
Upgrade of both of mine failed according to the pop-up after about 10 minutes from when I started the upgrade.  However, they both appear to have worked

I noticed that too.  Got the "upgrade failed" popup but I just closed the window and it seems like its all there

Yep.  Missed a commit off the 2.0 branch.   Basically, after the upgrade, it's rebooting before it can send back the "OK" response so the browser reports a fail even though it worked.   Just pushed a fix to the 2.1 branch for that so anyone updating now should be OK.   

Offline Loopz

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 08:55:22 PM »
Thanks for all that you do. it can never be said enough... 8)
"It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. I've outrun Imperial starships. Not the local bulk cruisers mind you, I'm talking about the big Corellian ships now. She's fast enough for you old man. What's the cargo?" - Han

Online dkulp

Re: FPP 2.3 now available
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 09:25:56 PM »

Just updated the images to 2.3 level. Pi image is up.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 09:35:26 PM »
Note that the image link in the first post actually points to the 2.2 images, not 2.3.

Online dkulp

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 09:39:56 PM »
Note that the image link in the first post actually points to the 2.2 images, not 2.3.

Fixed.  Thanks.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 11:00:46 PM »
2.3 seems to be working fine for my purposes.
Sure would be nice if a Backup and Restore would actually backup and restore my configuration (never has).  A few things get saved, but most of my config requires that I manually rebuild it every time I re-image...