Author Topic: Hmmm...this is new...  (Read 681 times)

Offline Stormyblade

• Kudos: 1
Hmmm...this is new...
« on: October 30, 2018, 06:16:04 PM »
I've got my playlist up and running, but something interesting is now happening:  I play a sequence just to see how everything looks. This sequence has embedded video. The next sequence also has embedded video. When that 2nd sequence starts, there is no video playing on my matrix. Stop the playlist, go to MultiSync and check on the Remote and it shows it is there, and idle, same as the Master. Try going back to playlist and playing a different sequence, again, with video -- again, no video on the matrix. Play any sequence that has audio and lights/effects and they play just fine.

What could cause this?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Hmmm...this is new...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 06:52:06 PM »
What "encoding" is used in your video?  It should be H.264 to use the Pi's hardware decoder.

Offline Stormyblade

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 09:40:46 PM »
It's actually just a video capture off YouTube, as are all my video clips. Oh lord...*smacks head*...could it be that simple? How can I find out what encoding, if any, is present on them?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »
I have PowerDVD player on my computer. Looking at many of my MP4 files, they all seem to come up as "MPEG-4 AVC"
According to one online article, H.264 and "MPEG-4 AVC" are equivalent.

I know that videos I create myself (I use Adobe Premiere Elements) generally use H.264 compression but the file still has an *.mp4 extension and PowerDVD shows them as MPEG-4 AVC.

Offline Stormyblade

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 10:46:57 PM »
Gotcha...

My daughter is telling me I need to buy some sort of video editing/enhancing software. With the ability to grab clips off movies I own and use those instead of the ones off YT.

Far too late to try that today, but maybe I can get better videos for upcoming Christmas display. Thing is, I don't even know what others here use and whether or not people here do any cleaning/editing/improving of video clips for their shows.

I also went back and tried playing that sequence again...the video is slow and not synced well to the lights and music. However, after rebooting, I tried a different one and it seemed to do okay. Maybe just that one sequence has some corruption in it making it disable my matrix? No worries...there's still most of the day tomorrow...right?  :-\

Offline Stormyblade

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 02:10:12 AM »
Well, did some more fiddling around late at night...

...having a sequence with a video playing 1st in the playlist results in slow/laggy video that does *not* fully finish before the end of the sequence. I had to perform a shutdown and reboot of the system. I then re-arranged the playlist to have a sequence that is lights and audio only - no video - to play 1st. I put a sequence with video in the 2nd and 3rd positions with a 3 second pause in between all 3 entries. The Pi/FPP successfully played the 1st entry and went into the 2nd with only a small amount of slowness/lag but by the time the sequence was about 1/2 done, the video was synced back up to the lights. The video, lights, and sequence all ended together. The playlist then went into the 3rd entry, another sequence with video and played that just fine - only a couple speed corrections.

The only thing I didn't do is let it run through the entire playlist and see if it repeated without a hitch, but I'll just have to chance it tomorrow when I fire it all off for Halloween.

FYI, I am running the latest version of FPP, 2.3, and running the master branch (I believe the description shows something like v2.x-master branch-742-xxxx) -- hopefully this is the correct version and/or branch to run to get the smoothest playback.

If there's any thoughts or hints, I'm open to them. I was doing a preview tonight and had neighbors commenting that I'm the only one in the entire neighborhood with blinky lights, let alone adding video, and that everything looked very impressive.  ;D

Offline Stormyblade

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 12:48:39 AM »
Okay, now that the Halloween rush is over, I thought I'd do more testing...

I went and re-imaged an SD card with the latest v2.3 image. After booting up the Pi, I went to /developer.php and set it to master - FPP reports it is running -755 (or something super close to that). Uploaded several sequences and ran them in a playlist after doing the Multisync; they all play quite nicely, with very few speed corrections during video portions on the P10 matrix, and the lights and audio stay in sync. I was really amazed at how smooth the video output was today.

However, despite all that, I am still experiencing the issue that when I do a Stop, Stop Gracefully, or when the playlist ends, the P10 matrix (BBB running FPP) goes to Remote Idle as it should, but will not ouput anything  further when a sequence that has video starts up again. Trying a Restart FPPD does not work, nor does a Reboot. The only thing that works is doing a Shutdown and power cycling the system. The other controllers/lights work, as does the audio, just no P10: video, text, or whatever.

Any ideas?

Offline Babybear

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 03:59:37 AM »
What I have done is gone back to 1.9. works like a dream, no matter what I toss at it.
Almost seem like there is so much going on the Pis cant handle it.
JimmyG
Rochester, New York

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 68
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 06:24:47 AM »
I went and re-imaged an SD card with the latest v2.3 image. After booting up the Pi, I went to /developer.php and set it to master - FPP reports it is running -755 (or something super close to that). Uploaded several sequences and ran them in a playlist after doing the Multisync; they all play quite nicely, with very few speed corrections during video portions on the P10 matrix, and the lights and audio stay in sync. I was really amazed at how smooth the video output was today.

However, despite all that, I am still experiencing the issue that when I do a Stop, Stop Gracefully, or when the playlist ends, the P10 matrix (BBB running FPP) goes to Remote Idle as it should, but will not ouput anything  further when a sequence that has video starts up again. Trying a Restart FPPD does not work, nor does a Reboot. The only thing that works is doing a Shutdown and power cycling the system. The other controllers/lights work, as does the audio, just no P10: video, text, or whatever.

How are you running the videos on the BBB/P10?   Are they fseq files?   mp4's with a overlay model?   
Dan Kulp

Offline Stormyblade

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 11:26:53 AM »

How are you running the videos on the BBB/P10?   Are they fseq files?   mp4's with a overlay model?

Ah, forgot that detail... 

They are fseq files with the mp4 embedded into the fseq - on seeing some responses here, I stopped loading the Pi with the mp4 files as well as the fseq. So now, the Pi has the mp3 for audio and the fseq (just FYI, my fseq files average about 200M in size) files. I perform a Multisync function every time I load a new or updated fseq to the Pi.

Am I supposed to load the mp4 file onto the BBB? Doesn't Multisync do that, or does it load *just* the fseq onto the BBB?

Offline Babybear

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 05:23:23 PM »
If your FSEQ file has the Mp4 imbedded into it then you don't need the mp4 loaded on the Pi or BBB.

Offline Stormyblade

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 08:30:53 PM »
If your FSEQ file has the Mp4 imbedded into it then you don't need the mp4 loaded on the Pi or BBB.

I was hoping that was the case - Dan asked about that just above so I was clarifying to make sure I'm not doing something to confuse FPP playing on either the Pi or the BBB.

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 68
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 08:23:40 AM »

Couple things:
1) If you could update master/remotes to the "master" branch (go to /developer.php and select master) to see if it's still reproducible?  We've fixed a bunch of things already so I don't really want to chase something that's already fixed.

2) If it IS still reproducible, go to FPP settings on the remote, turn off all of the log checkboxes other than "MultiSync" and "Channel Outputs" and turn the log level up to Excessive.   Reproduce (as quickly as possible) and then send fppd.log file.   That may help determine what it's doing. 

Offline Stormyblade

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 10:41:34 AM »

Couple things:
1) If you could update master/remotes to the "master" branch (go to /developer.php and select master) to see if it's still reproducible?  We've fixed a bunch of things already so I don't really want to chase something that's already fixed.

2) If it IS still reproducible, go to FPP settings on the remote, turn off all of the log checkboxes other than "MultiSync" and "Channel Outputs" and turn the log level up to Excessive.   Reproduce (as quickly as possible) and then send fppd.log file.   That may help determine what it's doing.

1) The Pi is running on the 'master' branch - I think it is running version -766 as of last night.

2) I will have to lower my matrix to get to it and make the log changes - it's hanging over the garage and because it's set to a 192.168.5.xxx address vs my "normal" home network of 192.168.1.xxx, I can't seem to access it using any other device (PC, tablet, etc) to change settings.  Is there some command that lets me tie in to my BBB so I don't have to lower it?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 12:20:37 PM »
I can't remember, but do you have an ethernet cable going to the BBB?  If so you could just go to the non BBB end and plug it into a laptop. set the laptop ip to the .5 network and connect up.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5