Author Topic: DDP info  (Read 462 times)

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 0
DDP info
« on: November 01, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
I have seen people use the DDP functionality in zoom sessions but I think I must have missed something. I tried searching for info on the DDP functionality and its uses, but I haven't been able to find anything. Is there somewhere that I can see how to use it and how it functions? I know this is both an FPP and Xlights issue so I am not sure where to post this.

Thanks
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline PeteyHall

• Kudos: 3
Re: DDP info
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »
I have seen people use the DDP functionality in zoom sessions but I think I must have missed something. I tried searching for info on the DDP functionality and its uses, but I haven't been able to find anything. Is there somewhere that I can see how to use it and how it functions? I know this is both an FPP and Xlights issue so I am not sure where to post this.

Thanks
From Dan

1) DDP output - on the e1.31/Artnet output page, you can now specify that a line can be DDP output instead of the e1.31/Artnet options that were there before.   If DDP is selected, the "size" field is no longer restricted to 512 channels.  If sending data to another FPP 2.x instance, I would strongly suggest using DDP as it's more efficient and nothing needs to be setup on the receiving side.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 9
    • The Miller Lights
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 01:22:21 PM »
This is only useful in FPP if it is running in Bridge Mode and not as a player itself.  Currently, Falcon Controllers don't support it and are instead focused on adding ZCPP which is similar in efficiency with additional features for auto configuration straight from xLights.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 01:41:12 PM »
Ok, looking at the DDP option for some testing (compared to E1.31)

(question - online, I see "Dynamic Drive Pool" using the DDP acronym.  Is it the same thing or related at all?)

In FPP v2.x.... , Output Channels, there are two DDP options

DDP Raw Channel
DDP One Based

What is the difference? and if I'm sending data from a RasPi3B+ over Gbit ethernet to other FPP instances running v2.x, which should I use?
They don't offer any different parameters for setup, just Start Channel, Universe Size and IP Address.

For my planned testing, I'll be sending to 5 devices, so there will be 1 entry for each IP address. 5 entries for 255 "universes" of data versus 255 entries.
Hearing nothing beforehand, I'll probably just try both DDP options and see. :)  (should happen on Monday if I can't do it tomorrow - Friday)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 02:35:18 PM by JonB256 »

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 68
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »

http://www.3waylabs.com/ddp/

Basically, when the data is sent, the packet also includes the starting channel for the data in that packet.   FPP controllers and xLights, in general, would use the "Raw Channel" option as the channels number would most likely match up.   However, if you have an FPP instance setup to start at channel 1 (for example, you just configured a matrix on that FPP instance and no idea what starting channel you need), you can select the "One Based" option and the sender will make the channel number in the data packet one based from the start of that outputs configuration.   So it may be channel 12354 in the fseq file, but it's sent out as channel 1.

Dan Kulp

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 02:42:10 PM »
That helps, so it is just for stand alone operations? If you are using FPP as a Master/Remote you will still have to set things up the regular way?

Offline PeteyHall

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 03:14:01 PM »

http://www.3waylabs.com/ddp/

Basically, when the data is sent, the packet also includes the starting channel for the data in that packet.   FPP controllers and xLights, in general, would use the "Raw Channel" option as the channels number would most likely match up.   However, if you have an FPP instance setup to start at channel 1 (for example, you just configured a matrix on that FPP instance and no idea what starting channel you need), you can select the "One Based" option and the sender will make the channel number in the data packet one based from the start of that outputs configuration.   So it may be channel 12354 in the fseq file, but it's sent out as channel 1.

Dan, do you know of an easy way to switch from e1.31 to DDP within Xlights so I don't have to rebuild all of my ports for a test or how to configure fpp to make it work?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:27:51 PM by PeteyHall »

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »
Dan (or anyone else using DDP successfully)

I have a Pi3B running v2.3. It is in Bridge Mode. It has a PiMatrix hat connected to a 3x3 P10 panel. (Channel Test lights up the appropriate pixels)

Start channel is 20481 so it uses channels 20481 thru 34304

On my Pi3B+ Master (running v2.x-master), I have Channel outputs configured for DDP Raw Channel with a start channel of 20481 and the correct number of channels, and output set to the correct IP address (Ping is good)

When I play a sequence (FSEQ) the Bridge Mode counters tick up like they should (packets and bytes) and shows the correct channels being received on the target P10 panel.

BUT - no lights.  Very sad.

Feels like I'm missing a check box somewhere but I can't find it.

Update - I changed my P10 controller from v2.3 to v2.x-master-771 and it is working. Made no other changes.

Works in v2.0 and v2.1 but died somewhere in v2.2 and v2.3.  Reported in github.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:16:48 PM by JonB256 »

Offline PeteyHall

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »
Dan (or anyone else using DDP successfully)

I have a Pi3B running v2.3. It is in Bridge Mode. It has a PiMatrix hat connected to a 3x3 P10 panel. (Channel Test lights up the appropriate pixels)

Start channel is 20481 so it uses channels 20481 thru 34304

On my Pi3B+ Master (running v2.x-master), I have Channel outputs configured for DDP Raw Channel with a start channel of 20481 and the correct number of channels, and output set to the correct IP address (Ping is good)

When I play a sequence (FSEQ) the Bridge Mode counters tick up like they should (packets and bytes) and shows the correct channels being received on the target P10 panel.

BUT - no lights.  Very sad.

Feels like I'm missing a check box somewhere but I can't find it.

Update - I changed my P10 controller from v2.3 to v2.x-master-771 and it is working. Made no other changes.
I had the same problem, that my lights wouldnt activate but I saw the counter going up.  I wasnt going against a p10, I was just trying it against a string of lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 12:16:58 PM »
This is only useful in FPP if it is running in Bridge Mode and not as a player itself.   Currently, Falcon Controllers don't support it and are instead focused on adding ZCPP which is similar in efficiency with additional features for auto configuration straight from xLights.
You may be underestimating DDP's usefulness.   ;)   

Its true that Falcon E1.31 controllers (F4V2/F4V3, F16V2/F16V3, or F48) don't support DDP directly.  But DDP is still VERY useful for any FPP that is driving pixels with a hat or cape, such as a Falcon PiCap, Falcon F4-B/F16-B, and any of Dan's Beagle-Capes as well as RonP Hats, Hanson Hats, Crockett Hats.  Add to that, any P5/P10 Panel Matrix hat/cap/cape.  And all those in addition to the case  you mentioned (a DDP bridge to an E1.31 controller).

I'd say that's pretty useful.  ;D

xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 12:20:37 PM »
One useful feature - if you were driving a P10 panel in Bridge mode, either just for testing or full time, you had to make a LOT of Universe output entries on the sending FPP (27 for my 3x3 panel)
With DDP, you make a single line entry to cover the start channel and total channels being sent to that IP address.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 12:22:18 PM »

DDP is an alternate choice versus E1.31 or Artnet for sending channel data across a network.  DDP is much more efficient and easier to configure/set-up than E1.31/Artnet

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 01:17:01 PM »

DDP is an alternate choice versus E1.31 or Artnet for sending channel data across a network.  DDP is much more efficient and easier to configure/set-up than E1.31/Artnet

I am a very recent convert to DDP (Mark / Pixelpuppy tried to get me interested last month but I didn't see the benefit at the time).

Last several years, I ran a LOT of Remotes. It worked well but pushing updates when you make xLights/FSEQ changes can be a chore. What I'm looking at right now is changing the Beaglebones driving my P10 panels from wireless Remotes to CAT5 connected Bridge mode. I'm in the process of testing it now to see just how many Universes I can send via DDP to these P10 panels. The plan is to use a RasPi3B+, located just inside my garage. I will connect it to a nearby 8 port Gigabit switch, then run CAT5 to the bridge mode Beagles (4 of them, total of 76 panels, therefore 228 Universes). I've been told that the RasPi3B+ can drive more than that.

That workshorse RasPi will actually be a Remote, so I'll have to keep it updated, but it eliminates 4 more Remotes to keep updated.
In the Channel Output section, there will be just 4 line entries, one for each Beagle, instead of 228 lines if I was driving with E1.31.

As noted, DDP seems to be down in v2.2 and v2.3 (on the receiving end) but v2.x-Master is working fine. (v2.0 and v2.1 also, but I'm not using any with that install)

A side benefit is that you can run the Beagles (or Pi) with next to nothing for storage capacity since they are just processing data, not actually playing files. A 4gb uSD card works great. For a BBB or BBG, you could probably run with just eMMC and store the minimal settings in that eMMC memory.

Offline Stormyblade

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 05:01:07 AM »
Jon,

Do you have a nice little setup list you followed, or is it super simple to figure out?

I saw the option for DDP in xLights Setup, but I didn't pursue it - maybe it's worth trying.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 05:23:01 AM »
Jon,

Do you have a nice little setup list you followed, or is it super simple to figure out?

I saw the option for DDP in xLights Setup, but I didn't pursue it - maybe it's worth trying.

I haven't set up DDP within xLights (I'll have to look at it). I don't drive my show at all from xSchedule so hadn't considered it.
All my DDP setup has been within the Channel Outputs of a RasPi3B+ running v2.x-master

Currently, all the receiving instances of FPP should also be running v2.x-master. 

(my xLights "setup page" is pretty simple - Since I just use FSEQ files to play everything, I create "NULL" channel entries that cover specific large elements like P10 panels or Megatrees, very much like using DDP to consolidate the list. As long as setup's total channel count covers all my outputs, it is happy when I do Test Sequence)