Author Topic: P10 panel interference with household  (Read 187 times)

Offline djmc2002

• Kudos: 0
P10 panel interference with household
« on: November 01, 2018, 08:30:59 PM »
So Ive gotten my wife to her wits end with my display.  We are issues with tv remotes, garage door openers etc not operating or having a huge delay.  Tried a few different fixes but Today when I switched off my p10 (7x7 panels)  located in my front yard about 15 feet from my house and about 30 or more feet from the effected tv and garage doors the interference seemed to go away.  I know that pixels cause interference but is it possible that my p10 are creating such a disruption in the force that it is effecting tv remotes or just a fluke that it stopped when I powered down the panels?   Assuming it is the panels is there anyway to make some
shielding or something to reduce interference or should I just get a old school wired remote for the tv!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: P10 panel interference with household
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 04:36:07 AM »
Installing ferrite cores over the power cables may make an improvement.  Having the shortest possible power leads and keeping them paired (red and black close together) could also reduce the interference. The choice of power supply can also affect the amount of rf and conducted interference. As far as the remote control for the tv being affected that puzzles me somewhat. TV remotes have been infrared for decades now and generally it is only light shining directly on the receiver that will cause them to become unresponsive. Fluorescent lighting and led lighting off an unregulated power supply are known to blank out infrared remotes but I've never heard of RF or conducted interference taking out tv remotes, wireless garage door remotes are fair game.

Offline djmc2002

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 01:10:03 PM »
Installing ferrite cores over the power cables may make an improvement.  Having the shortest possible power leads and keeping them paired (red and black close together) could also reduce the interference. The choice of power supply can also affect the amount of rf and conducted interference. As far as the remote control for the tv being affected that puzzles me somewhat. TV remotes have been infrared for decades now and generally it is only light shining directly on the receiver that will cause them to become unresponsive. Fluorescent lighting and led lighting off an unregulated power supply are known to blank out infrared remotes but I've never heard of RF or conducted interference taking out tv remotes, wireless garage door remotes are fair game.

I might try the ferrite cores on the power cables.  The remote issue with the garage doors is a long standing issue but the TV remotes are  a new on to me as well.  Thanks for your ideas.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 07:30:53 PM »
A good satellite or cable remote is RF now not IR.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 01:47:58 PM »
Garage door interference is a long standing known issue.  While I have not had much of a problem in the past this year I have pixel icicles on the whole front of the house which includes the garage door and also new pixels around the garage door.  Proactively I ordered this wifi contolled link to my opener https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075H7Z5L8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  which a lot of folks have recommended in the past.  Works good, but I do not have all my lights up and powered yet so I have no real experience yet.  I can also monitor my garage door when I am not even home.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline djmc2002

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »
A good satellite or cable remote is RF now not IR.

I believe our remotes are RF