Author Topic: LED Matrix Configuration Questions  (Read 413 times)

Offline NullMaster

• Kudos: 0
LED Matrix Configuration Questions
« on: November 05, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »
Looking for some assistance with the following questions.
I am using a F16v3 with Xlights. I have the following elements that will be sequenced

1. I have 2 LED matrices. 32 horizontal strings by 36 pixels. Starting at the top-left with a horizontal zig zag pattern. I will be using outputs 1/2 for one Matrix and 3/4 for the second. I have been reading how-tos and watching the different tutorials, but the information is always presented differently so Id like to get some input on the following assumptions and questions.

I would like to use absolute addressing and configure the F16v3 myself rather than use Xlights. Maybe because I can grasps the different variables, so if I am thinking out loud it is so that someone can correct me if my logic is wrong.

A. I will have 1152 pixels equaling 3456 channels. Since I am splitting the board into two sections, this will lead to 576 pixels per output, 1728 channels. I am assuming I will need to  4 universes addressed 1-432, 433-864, 865-1296, 1297-1728 for Output 1. Is this correct?
If so then Output 2 will continue Universe 5-8 and channels 1729 - 3456. I would continue the next 8 universes across Output 3 and 4 using the same channel enumeration.

B. In Xlights, I assume in the setup page I just add E.131 setup my universes duplicate the same configuration as above? In the layout portion of the configuration would I set it up as 16 strings with 36 lights and 2 strands?

C. In Xlights, will putting the 2 matrices in the same element group allow me to output my sequence(singing animations) to both matrices at the same time? or will I have to duplicate the sequence for each element?

D. Will adding additional elements to the F16V3 be as simple as adding more universes and continuing to enumerate the number of channels needed per output?

Thanks for your time
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:52:52 PM by NullMaster »

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: LED Matrix Configuration Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 11:14:36 AM »
I'll try but am no expert although I have been doing this a long time.
good for you to learn how to use absolute and manual configurations, I think that will help you in the long run.

A. You can just configure the Falcon and xlights to have 512 or 510 channel  and the Falcon will just continue to use the number sequentially.  falcons internally run on absolute as I understand it.  So output one becomes 576 pixels starting at whatever your start channel is.  I split my large props across the two power supplies I connect to the Falcon so the second output for me would be number 9 and also have 576 pixels.  If you look at the string ports scree it will tell you the end channel of output 1 so just add 1 and make that the start channel for output 9.  You say you are using absolute but you keep talking about universes.  Do not confuse the two and work in one or the other.

B. In xlights you just add e1.31 universes such that the channel numbers you are wanting to cover are showing in the setup page.  You can start at any universe number so just figure out what you need.  My P10 matrix starts at universe 200 and I add 50 universes to cover that (which is just slightly to large, but no problem.

C. Two matrices does not get two sequences, but two models in one sequence.  I would not keep them as the same channels as you may wish at some time to have two different effects playing.

D. You are correct.

If you are new to this and do not have much I would just figure out my maximum channel needs divide by 512 and make that the number of universes you need.  Then put that number of universes in every program, FPP, and controller you use.  People will complain that this is not efficient, but it will not be a problem and it will be efficient for your learning and getting your first show up.  You can learn to tailor things (for efficiency?) in subsequent years when you have more experience.

Good luck.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Online Poporacer

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:49:42 AM »
Looking for some assistance with the following questions.
JNEALAND is VERY knowledgeable and provides great advice but thought I would add a little to your situation to help you understand.

I would like to use absolute addressing and configure the F16v3 myself rather than use Xlights. Maybe because I can grasps the different variables, so if I am thinking out loud it is so that someone can correct me if my logic is wrong.
As Jim mentioned, understanding the addressing methods is beneficial, especially for troubleshooting and absolute addressing is just a channel number from 1 to whatever the last channel is in your show. If you use absolute addressing, then you will have to keep track of all of your models, the order they are in, the number of pixels and the respective starting channels. As Jim mentioned, XLights and the controller really operate with Absolute addressing behind the scenes. Using Universe/Channel and relative addressing is to make things easier to manage. But using universes is not Absolute addressing. Let me see if I can clear it up. Absolute addressing will start at your first pixel, first channel and just go sequentially to the end of your pixels, you can't have gaps, it just follows pixel, by pixel. Universes are a method of breaking things down for us humans to manage things a bit and how YOU decide to mange things is up to you. You can set up your universes to be all 512 channels, all 400 channels or whatever number you want, you can set them up to be all different, it is up to you and what makes it easy for you to understand. There are several different thoughts on how to assign Universes and it is totally up to you. The only caveat is that one Universe can only address a max of 512 channels. Some people will start a new Universe for every prop beginning with Channel 1 and then start a new Universe (one higher than the ending Universe of the previous prop) for the next prop. Some people will start a new Universe for each controller (this I what I use)
   A. I will have 1152 pixels equaling 3456 channels. Since I am splitting the board into two sections, this will lead to 576 pixels per output, 1728 channels. I am assuming I will need to  4 universes addressed 1-432, 433-864, 865-1296, 1297-1728 for Output 1. Is this correct?
If so then Output 2 will continue Universe 5-8 and channels 1729 - 3456. I would continue the next 8 universes across Output 3 and 4 using the same channel enumeration.

You mention universes so I think you don't really want Absolute addressing? You don't need to break up the universes like that. I am not sure why you stopped the Universes as 432 channels when they can handle 512 but think you might be overthinking the addressing issue? I did at first as well. 3456 pixels will need 6.75 Universes (if you use 512 channels per universe) to handle the number of pixels so set up 7 Universes in XLights for each matrix. Let's assume that your first Matrix is the first prop. Then in Xlights, you will set up the starting channel for the matrix to be Channel 1 (or Universe 1, channel 1 if you are using Universes and not Absolute addressing) and then set it up for 1152 pixels and then set the number of strings to 2 and then the appropriate other settings. In your controller, you will set port one to start at channel 1 (or Universe 1, channel 1) and set the number of pixels to 576. The controller will tell you what the last channel used for that port is, either absolute (1728 in your case) or Universe/channel number (Universe 3, channel 192 in your case) so you will set your start address for Port 2 on your controller to be the next channel (1729 or Universe 3, channel 193) If your second matrix is the next prop, you could set up another 7 universes and follow suit but you can start it at the next available Universe/channel if you want which would be Universe 6 channel 385 and set your controller port 3 to start at 3457 or whatever Universe/channel you decide to use.

B. In Xlights, I assume in the setup page I just add E.131 setup my universes duplicate the same configuration as above? In the layout portion of the configuration would I set it up as 16 strings with 36 lights and 2 strands?
it makes things simpler if you use the same addressing in Xlights as you do in the controllers. In XLights, the # of strings is Controller connections.
C. In Xlights, will putting the 2 matrices in the same element group allow me to output my sequence(singing animations) to both matrices at the same time? or will I have to duplicate the sequence for each element?
I am not sure what you mean by putting the matrixes in the same element group. I think maybe groups in Xlights? If you put elements in a group in Xlights, and apply an effect to the group, then all elements in that group will have the exact effect. So if you have a singing face on one matrix, the other matrix will have the same singing face, the mouths will be moving exactly the same way. The elements in a group do not need to be the same type.
D. Will adding additional elements to the F16V3 be as simple as adding more universes and continuing to enumerate the number of channels needed per output?
That depends on how you are setting things up and how you are addressing the start channels. I would recommend using the potential of XLights and Referential addressing and letting XLights do all the work for you. Basically you will set up your first prop. Then in XLights, start the next prop after that and keep going. You will need to tell XLights what controller port the prop is connected to and it doesn't matter if different props are connected to the same port. If you set things up correctly in XLights, you can upload the configuration to your F16 and it will set up all of your port configurations.
I hope I didn't make things more confusing.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 08:21:59 PM »
Absolute addressing does not mean never skipping numbers. I did that for years with no problem primarily because I came from a pixelnet background where universes are 4096 channels and the hardware can force you to start on a different pixelnet universe if you do not have enough free channels on the current pixelnet universe.  I even left channels empty just because I was thinking of future expansion.  The problem that some folks perceive is that you must not skip addresses and that is simply not true.  I can be more difficult to renumber, but I will testify that this year I decided to try using universe and start channel and I still had to revert to using a spreadsheet to figure out all the overlaps and options.  Use whatever suits you best.  They both work.