Author Topic: Null pixels in middle of string  (Read 209 times)

Offline astrosnapper

• Kudos: 0
Null pixels in middle of string
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:26:15 AM »
Hi everyone, I am trying an alternative method of wiring up my Boscoyo Large 360 Mini Tree Coro and star this year and I am running into some setup problems trying to configure it in the F16V3. I using 2 strings of 100 WS2811 bullets with 85 pixels (as 5 runs x 17 pixels) on one side of the tree, a gap of 2 pixels to bridge the gap up to the star (which I want to be nulls/off), 20 pixels around the star and then another gap of 2 pixels after the star (also to be null) before the other set of 85 pixels on the other side of the tree.

I am confused how to setup the F16V3 string ports as to whether the null pixels should be included in the pixel count. The way I have the virtual strings is 85 pixels (no nulls), followed by 20 pixels with 2 nulls and then another 85 pixels with 2 nulls. I don't seem to be able to get the right pixels to turn on in xLights on the back side of the tree (the final 85 pixels); the last 4 pixels don't turn on and if set a horizontal bar effect running up the tree, then the lighted pixels are misaligned and don't form the proper bars. I've configured the tree as 2 180 degree trees in xLights since the start location is bottom left and top left for the front and back halves of the tree respectively. I added the star as the range of channels in the middle.
Is it actually possible to do this in this manner ? If so, what is the correct way of specifying the pixel count and no. of nulls in the controller ? I guess related to this is whether null pixels consume the same 3 channels as a "normal" pixel does in the controller and xLights so the channel numbering is correct ?
Thanks in advance for any pointers - I have 6 of these trees I am trying to get right...

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 9
    • The Miller Lights
Re: Null pixels in middle of string
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 09:56:52 AM »
First off, which version of firmware are you running on the F16v3?  I seem to recall a null pixel bug in version 2, I believe.  As far as counting Null Pixels, you only account for them in the controller, not in the sequencer.  So you tell the controller how many null pixels you have, in addition to the "real pixels" in the string and it will do the math to pad the data so that your first "real pixel" will get the data you intended for it.  It is explained the in the manual very well with image examples as well https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S67ZVLgQRYsdqPhgfPkQucnFXvu1FmQAME9qnK5RixU/edit

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 75
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 12:42:01 PM »
Include null nodes them in the pixel count but not in the addressing. It has been fixed in the next release.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline astrosnapper

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 02:57:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure I am running the V2.00 it came with. I did see references to a later firmware but the implication was it was mainly for F48 support.

Offline astrosnapper

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 11:35:00 PM »
I have updated to the v2.01-fal firmware (I couldn't find it at first as it's only linked from the bare board on the store, not from the ready-to-run page which is where I started). In the controller, I know have the port set as:
UniverseStartPixel countEndNullsElement
81852550Tree Front
8256203152Star
831689#9:722Tree Back
Setting more than 20 pixels for the star, such as 22 to include the nulls, results in the 2 nulls after the star lighting up. Setting less than 89 for the last virtual string results in some of the last pixels on the back of the tree (at the end of the string) not lighting up.

In xLights, I have the two tree halves defined as 180 degrees, 1 string, 85 nodes/string and 5 nodes/string and a 20 pixel star with the same universe:channel starts as in the controller. Originally I found that if I send blue & yellow bars up the front half of the tree, I was getting the first four pixels on the back of the tree flickeringly random colors but then it stopped and it hasn't done it since...  ???

If I am feeling brave, I might try rewiring and amending the virtual strings to skip and null out the two pixels at the bottom of the Boscoyo trees that don't reach with the standard pixel spacing and save having to do the 4 cuts and 8 joins/heatshrinking to add in a short 3-wire extension wire.