Author Topic: FPP Beaglebone Green Universe Limit?  (Read 136 times)

Offline bythewall

• Kudos: 0
FPP Beaglebone Green Universe Limit?
« on: November 07, 2018, 11:29:30 PM »
Hi,

Short version: Can FPP handle receiving 16 universes of e1.31 and output 32 lines of -2812 pixel data, with each line occupying 1/2 universe (85 RGB nodes)?

I'm Using a Beaglebone green loaded with this image:

FPP-v2.0-BBB-ext4

... and saved to local eMMC.  Output is a self-built cape with pinout matching the 32F.  PCB is known-good with fuses, proper line drivers, etc.  Pixel strings are 85 nodes long.

In 'bridge' mode, how many universes of e1.31 can I convert to pixel data? Best case I'd want 16 universes @ 1/2 universe per string, 32 outs total.

I have managed network switches with IGMP snooping enabled, so each controller only receives its own 16 universes.  I can also choose 'unicast e1.31' so packets leave my computer and go directly to each controller.

My issue thus far is that complicated crossfade / gradient sequences turn into a flashing, flickering mess on the string outputs.  Wireshark captures are pretty clean.

Thanks for your time.

John

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: FPP Beaglebone Green Universe Limit?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 07:26:43 AM »
The Pi (with its faster processor and Gigabit internet) can handle over 200 universes.
The Beagles (black or green) shouldn't be much less, if any.

There have been big improvements in handling input and output with v2.0 and up (now at v2.3, which has had even more improvements)

Even with the older versions v1.9 and v1.10, 128 Universes were not a problem.

Offline bythewall

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 03:10:55 PM »
An update, and bread crumbs for whoever wanders this way next...

The line drive resistors on our board were incorrectly loaded at 10 ohms, rather than 150.  The ringing in the lines was causing all the interference.  We edited the hardware and all is well.

Photos here for reference:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YpN2JUgbInsRspPks-wGCXK6cHWwQo8h?usp=sharing

Side note: the captchas required to post and edit here are really, really hard to read.  Ugh.

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 3
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 03:54:18 PM »
An update, and bread crumbs for whoever wanders this way next...

The line drive resistors on our board were incorrectly loaded at 10 ohms, rather than 150.  The ringing in the lines was causing all the interference.  We edited the hardware and all is well.
Impressive difference!  People often forget that things like line drivers and terminations really DO make a difference.  Thanks for posting the photos.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 68
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 04:01:47 PM »
Not that I've ever seen any issues with my boards (F8-PB/F8-B/etc...) using the 100ohm, but after seeing your pictures I almost want to grab the oscope and see.  :)

Nice job.
Dan Kulp

Offline bythewall

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 12:52:18 PM »
We often forget that once the dust settles, *everything* is analog.   :)