Author Topic: Is there a Step by Step guide for using FPP to control a projector?  (Read 174 times)

Offline toml8345

• Kudos: 0
I just acquired a new (to me) projector and want to use it to run Virtual Santa.  I also just came to the realization that I can probably control this projector using a FPP so I can automate the turn on and turn off times, as well as running the video.

My question is: Where do I find the basic step by step instructions on what I need to do/add/install/acquire to make this happen?  I don't want to ask a lot of basic question now, but I would like help finding a good source for the information.

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 9
    • The Miller Lights
Re: Is there a Step by Step guide for using FPP to control a projector?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:44:29 PM »
Well it really depends on whether your projector has the ability.  Please list your projector model.  Also, read http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,2182.0.html for a lot of support info on the projector plugin.

Offline toml8345

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 02:54:28 PM »
My projector definitely has the capability.  It is a Sharp XR-32X and has an RS-232 port.  As I understand it at this point, I use adapters to go from USB to round 8 pin RS-232 port on the projector.  I will also need to go from HDMI to DVI for the video into this projector.  You set up the projector using the Projector Control Plug In for FPP, set up the communications with the projector, and then have FPP run the scripts as needed.

Does this sound like the basic process?

I will definitely be diving into the referenced thread to learn more details, Thanks for the link!

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 9
    • The Miller Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 02:59:24 PM »
Yep, you've got it.  It looks like the only Sharp projector Ben has setup in there is the Sharp PGD2500X but it may take the same commands.  If not, just post in the thread I mentioned requesting it be added.  From what I've seen, Ben is pretty quick to add them in.

Offline centauri61032

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 04:19:56 PM »
Just curious...
Is your show running strictly off the Pi, or is it running off a computer?
Just asking because I also use the Virtual Santa. But my show is running on a computer. (with Pi's out there as remotes.)
Instead of having the Pi turn the projector on and off, I just have the VS projector connected to the PC serial port.
Then I run simple scripts on the PC to turn the projector on and off at certain times.
If you are interested in more info about this, let me know.

Offline toml8345

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 04:59:58 PM »
Thanks for the thought, but I think running off the Pi will work better for my application.

Offline trkeenan

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 07:58:20 AM »
Question:
If you are running master and remote PIs with the projector on a remote, how do you get the master to send the on and play command?

Thanks
Tim

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 12:11:41 PM »
I use:
Category:
RemoteControl
Filename:
Remote-TriggerEvent.sh
Description:
Trigger an event on a remote FPP instance

Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!