Author Topic: Problem uploading .fseq leading to locking up FPP  (Read 87 times)

Offline jumblinjim

• Kudos: 0
Problem uploading .fseq leading to locking up FPP
« on: November 10, 2018, 08:12:08 PM »
My main issue is I cannot upload .fseq files. No error, the file just never displays in the Sequence tab. I infer its a space issue.
I have a 16gig SD card for the FPP image and a 16gig USB plugged in.
In the FPP Settings if I select the external storage I see an unmounted drive. If I select it I brick my FPP install. The webpage no longer comes up, and the SD card can no longer be seen in Windows, DISKPART, anywhere.
So, I try again On a single partition 16 gig SD card I format it FAT32. I then image FPP2.0 to the SD Card. Put it into the Pi and load up FPP. All looks good. If I go to FPP Settings and select the external drive I see one with 3.7gig (I infer the SD card) and a second that has ~14gigs, free (infer the USB drive). I select that one and reboot. At this point I can no longer get into FPP, and the SD card is toast. Windows no longer recognizes it. DISKPART in doesnt see it. As far as I can tell Ive bricked a second SD card.
So my issues are twofold.
1.      Can I unbrick these SD card?
2.      And, how do I accurately mount external storage, so I can upload all of my .fseq files?
Thanks for any help provided.

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Problem uploading .fseq leading to locking up FPP
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:19:06 PM »
more info needed

Are you on a RasPi or Beagle? (probably Pi since a USB drive is mentioned, but more info is always better)

If RasPi3B+  are you using the latest image? (must be v2.x or higher, preferred is v2.3)

Ethernet or WiFi ?

Offline jumblinjim

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 09:31:37 PM »
Yes, Pi. Sorry, not sure which exact model. It's two years old. (i'll try to find out).

I'm using FPP image 2.1 .. I'll try to download 2.3

Ethernet

I can upload one .fseq, but uploading a second fails. No error, nothing is even written to a log. If I delete the existing .fseq and then upload a different one it works. So, I'm inferring some sort of space issue or me failing to correctly tell FPP somehow the space is available.

Is the correct process to go to the Setting page and select the external USB drive?  Or, should I leave the default value?

I'll keep gathering info and post back shortly. Thanks.

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 09:41:28 PM »
It does sound like you are running out of room.

By default on a Pi, it is using the uSD card your installed v2.1 on for storage. Even though you used a 16gb card, it isn't available until you go to FPP Settings / Advanced (at the bottom left) and choose "Grow File System."  After a reboot, you will have a LOT more space on that uSD card.

If your plan is to use a USB drive, be sure it is totally blank. By blank, I mean only ONE partition (no hidden ones). Usually done by Wiping the drive. I use either SDFormatter or dotNet Disk Imager.

When put in a USB slot, the drive will show as sda1 and unmounted. When you select it, you will be given the option to Not Format or Format as FAT32 or EXT4.  Your choice, but I've been using EXT4 .   

After a reboot, the full capacity of that flash drive (sda1) will be available.

Offline jumblinjim

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 09:57:00 PM »
Very helpful information. Thank you!

The grow feature is what I think I was looking for. I was bewildered why I only had .7 gigs left of my 16 gig SD Card.

I think I may have had a unique issue too. Upgrading to FPP 2.1 seemed to resolve the issue whereby I would select the unmounted drive from the External drive dropdown menu, reboot and FPP seemingly crashed. I could never get back to the browser page.   Once I applied 2.1 it worked like a champ.

Thank again for the other information.