Author Topic: Are F8B and PocketScroller still available?  (Read 582 times)

Offline mello_roberto

• Kudos: 1
Are F8B and PocketScroller still available?
« on: November 12, 2018, 08:44:49 AM »
Can I still find F8B and PocketScroller to buy?
I have a couple F4B and F16B and with the new updates I really like them now :)

Thanks

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 78
Re: Are F8B and PocketScroller still available?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 09:12:28 AM »
Can I still find F8B and PocketScroller to buy?
I have a couple F4B and F16B and with the new updates I really like them now :)

PocketScroller : yes.  I do have these available.
F8-B : (for full size Beagle) yes, I do have these
F8-PB : no and yes.   I don't have any "fully working" versions left.  I DO have several of the "1.01" version that is fully working except for 2 things:
 a) ONE port on the expansion headers is wired wrong.  If you don't use the expansion header or is OK making a funky jumper, that is irrelevant
 b) It doesn't have the R17 resistor to remove for 24V support.   If you only use 5V or 12V, also irrelevant. 
Dan Kulp

Offline mello_roberto

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 09:28:19 AM »
Sorry, been gone for a while so I missed some posts, what is the difference of F8B and F8PB? Pocket?
I have normal size BBB and BBG, also 1 BBGW, so pockets is not need for me.
Does the F8B works on 24V? Or can the F4B work on 24V?

Can you let me know prices and paypal :-)

Thanks

Online dkulp

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 09:49:48 AM »
Sorry, been gone for a while so I missed some posts, what is the difference of F8B and F8PB? Pocket?
Yea.  The F8-PB is designed for the PocketBeagle.    You can see a picture at: https://www.tindie.com/products/dkulp/f8-pb-led-pixel-controller-for-pocketbeagle/

The F8-B is for the full size BBB/BBG.    BBGW is problematic.  The wifi on the BBGW consumes a bunch of pins.   With the F8-B v2 (what I have), you would lose four couple of the DMX ports (3-6) and output 21,26-28 on the expansion header.   BBBW is fine.   

PocketScroller is a "smaller" Octo with 6 outputs but uses the PocketBeagle.   See: https://www.tindie.com/products/dkulp/pocketscroller-led-panel-cape-for-pocketbeagle/  .  I sell these with the PocketScroller optionally pre-mounted since most people don't want to solder the headers onto the PocketBeagle. (I include headers if not)

I have normal size BBB and BBG, also 1 BBGW, so pockets is not need for me.
Does the F8B works on 24V? Or can the F4B work on 24V?
Can you let me know prices and paypal :-)
I don't believe the F4B can without swapping out the buck somehow.   The F8-B can by removing a single resistor (R17, but you'd lose the Fuse indicator lights).   

Non-tindie pricing:
PocketScroller:  $19 + $30 for PocketBeagle if needed
F8-PB v1.01 with "issues": $39 (while supplies last) + $30 for the PocketBeagle if needed
F8-B: $55

$7 shipping for up to 2, $11 for up to 4.

Paypal to dan@kulp.com
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:45:32 AM by dkulp »

Offline mello_roberto

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 01:57:28 PM »
ok, thank you. I sent an order.

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 06:27:42 AM »
dkulp ?
will the F8B or newer Controllers be available in 2019, as we are looking on some more of these Controllers

Jerry
Jerry Plak

Online dkulp

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
dkulp ?
will the F8B or newer Controllers be available in 2019, as we are looking on some more of these Controllers

Yes.   I'll likely do a group buy early in the year.  Not sure when yet.   The F8-PB/F8-B prices ARE going up.   There are a couple of components that, while made in China, are not available in China.  Thus, I'm getting hit with multiple tariffs thanks to Trumps trade war.  :(   (the 2amp buck is the main issue due to it's high cost already, add 50% to it and it's big jump) Either that or I order without those installed and add them myself later.  Need to figure that out.

I also sell the F8-PB and PocketScrollers via Tindie.   One of these days I'll try and get the F8-B up there as well.     I have about 10 PocketScrollers available right now with more on order.  I have another batch for F8-PB's that DHL should be delivering today.   I have about 10 F8-B's (v2) available right now as well, just contact me if interested.

Offline TypingOffKey

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »
Hi Dan -

I am also looking for an F8-PB, and wondering if you have any more available. I wouldn't mind one with issues, or one with some assembly required, as I'm (hopefully) baking it into a custom suit / cloak of lights anyway. That's a very cool cape, and I can't believe I missed it last year.

Online dkulp

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 04:12:53 PM »
I am also looking for an F8-PB, and wondering if you have any more available. I wouldn't mind one with issues, or one with some assembly required, as I'm (hopefully) baking it into a custom suit / cloak of lights anyway. That's a very cool cape, and I can't believe I missed it last year.

Yep.   Got a new batch in last week.  :)

PocketScrollers are an issue.... more on that tomorrow.

That all said, I do plan on running a group buy starting in a couple weeks.   Likely to have F8-PB's, F8-B's,  and PocketScrollers.   Also trying to decide if I want to price out F32-B's (I don't have any left) or create a F36D-PB (36 differential strings/12 ports for PocketBeagle) or what else might be interesting.

Offline Broomy111

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 06:33:31 PM »

Yep.   Got a new batch in last week.  :)

PocketScrollers are an issue.... more on that tomorrow.

That all said, I do plan on running a group buy starting in a couple weeks.   Likely to have F8-PB's, F8-B's,  and PocketScrollers.   Also trying to decide if I want to price out F32-B's (I don't have any left) or create a F36D-PB (36 differential strings/12 ports for PocketBeagle) or what else might be interesting.
Hey Dan, those sound intriguing.  I have two of your F8-PBs and they are awesome.  Question and forgive me if this has been asked/answered, will the F8 ever have the option to set up with universe/ start channel on the outputs vs absolute addressing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online dkulp

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 06:46:31 PM »

Hey Dan, those sound intriguing.  I have two of your F8-PBs and they are awesome.  Question and forgive me if this has been asked/answered, will the F8 ever have the option to set up with universe/ start channel on the outputs vs absolute addressing?

Likely no.  We're hoping to get completely away from universes entirely.  For the most part, everything should be completely usable from xLights without ever defining a universe. 

Offline Broomy111

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 06:48:08 PM »

Likely no.  We're hoping to get completely away from universes entirely.  For the most part, everything should be completely usable from xLights without ever defining a universe.
Thanks for the response and look forward to the boards. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TMerk

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 01:30:02 PM »

Thanks for the response and look forward to the boards. 

Will we still be able to enter absolute channels at least? I prefer to enter my data manually.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 205
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »
Will we still be able to enter absolute channels at least? I prefer to enter my data manually.

Even with all the enhancements, DDP, etc. you will still be able to manually enter what you need when you need.  FPP is used with quite a few different systems in E1.31/bridge mode, so we won't be getting rid of the universe and absolute channel configs anytime in the foreseeable future.  Dan's comment about getting away from using universes pertains to using more optimized protocols like DDP to send data from a player like xSchedule to FPP.
-
Chris

Offline aclarksr

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 07:55:21 PM »
Dan, what are the issues with the F8-PB v1.01? Do you still have any of them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk