Author Topic: New to FPP and Xmas light show  (Read 541 times)

Offline maverickAB

• Kudos: 0
New to FPP and Xmas light show
« on: November 15, 2018, 09:39:47 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I just got everything setup for the first time last night on my bench and I'm looking for the Xmas show book for dummies. Trying to find a good tutorial to bring everything together xlight, Pi3B+(FPP), F16V3 Pixel Controller, 1 x 12vdc 350w PS. Starting out small this year with 6 x 100 pixel bullet style WS2811 RGB's
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100pcs-DC12V-12mm-WS2811-led-smart-pixel-node-with-all-black-wire-20AWG-IP68-rated/701799_1932863171.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.27.5dc82c7cBL2GA0.

I'm planning on installing 1" PVC under my eaves to have permanent lights on the major lines of the house. Last night I was able to run the nodes in test mode from the Falcon webserver, the PI3 is working fine on it's own with FPP V2.4 installed, XLights installed on PC but I have much to learn on this. I have some questions I hope an experienced members can answer for me.

- Node spacing recommendations do you recommend between 1" or 2"+  spacing between nodes on house lines.
- I have a raspberry Pi3B+ setup, I assume I need to bridge this with the F16V3 to run a XLight sequence?
- Do I need xlights to control the bulbs or can I just do some simple control via FPP installed on the PI?
- After witnessing the voltage drop last night after the first string, it appears I need to inject power at the end of every 100 node string. Will the data signal degrade at some point? I had 3 x 100 node string hooked up and the only issue appeared to be the power.
- If I read the F16V3 manual correct I should be able to run all 6x 100pixel node strings on one F16 channel with power injection after every string, 1024 pixels max per channel. Correct?
- Intensity setup of the pixel lights for shows etc.. I have see 50% on some setups is this recommended?

Thanks,

Rick

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: New to FPP and Xmas light show
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 12:29:34 PM »
For house borders I normally see 3" to 6" and most leaving to the high end, smaller distances are for matrices where images and text are used.

I run 600 nodes off one port of a PiCap (in a matrix that is 20 wide by 30 high over a window)  I have power at nodes 1, 240 and 480. 

I also have a megatree where I can run 240 nodes per output from an F16v2r at 30% with no power injection.

I also have other ports for snowflakes and arches that use 196 nodes with no power injection and 4 mini trees each with 60 nodes off a single port with no power injection.

All my nodes are 12v.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline maverickAB

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the response Jim! Maybe I will start with the 30% and see how that works. I know that we have a fair amount light around our house from street lights, so we may need to increase it. I saw another post where someone mentioned they had their pixel spacing too close on their house and they could not do the spiral effect on xlights. I also would like to use the spiral effect eventually, do you know if the the 3" spacing is sufficient for this?

Regards,

Rick

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 06:00:32 PM »
I do not understand how you do a spiral on a single string of lights.  To move the lights along a string a spiral effect will work but it will not spiral.  Another effects will also move the lights along like bars and marquee.  A spiral requires a matrix type of prop - A megatree is a matrix with a pointy top.

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 11:11:50 PM »
I think he meant spiral effect on "whole house model"

Offline ChristmasBug

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 09:11:22 AM »
Jim
 How far do you run your pixel from your controller? This I have to do something different and half of my props are 150 from the controller. Do you think it will work ?
Raspberry pi - 1 Main
 1 x F16V2-R Pixel Controller

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 01:06:08 PM »
I keep my props right next to the controllers or the controller is right in the middle of them - 16 mini trees with controller between 8 and 9, etc  I have no experience with running more than 15ft from a controller.  If I had to go long I would be buying another controller or trying a differential receiver, but that would go against my philosophy of no data cables in my yard.  Power and data from controller to prop is usually less than 10ft at my house.