Author Topic: Newbie setup  (Read 381 times)

Offline mrlp

• Kudos: 0
Newbie setup
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:24:08 AM »
New to FPP the previous two years I used lightshow pi. Trying to step up my show this year and wondering if I can get a few pointers on my setup. I have a raspberry pi 3 hooked up to a 8 channel ssr and an 8 channel mechanical relay through gpio pins. I have managed to get 7 of the ssr to blink but I have run into a dead end with the rest. Using vixen to sequence I will attach a couple of pictures for show.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 117
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Newbie setup
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »
That looks like a SainSmart Relay board.

If it needs a 5vdc or higher trigger voltage, then the 3.3v supplied by the GPIO may not be sufficient.

Some type of level shifter board may be needed.

There are other posts on here where people have gotten that board working.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/395

Offline mrlp

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 02:28:57 PM »
so it would probably be easier to replace the mechanical relay with another solid state relay?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 02:50:50 PM »
so it would probably be easier to replace the mechanical relay with another solid state relay?

I know I'd prefer an SSR to mechanical to begin with. The clackety clack drives me crazy.

Offline mrlp

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 03:02:56 PM »
Thank you for your help just to make sure I understand this though. Again very new to this. The solid state ones run on 3.3v and therefore would be able to run off the pi with no problem or would I still need the shifter?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 09:18:11 PM »
I don't have enough information about your SSRs to answer that.

But, if the others are working like you indicate, then just use the same type.

GPIO outputs are binary, though. You won't get any fading. Just ON and OFF.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 48
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 04:38:24 PM »
That relay board will work just fine with the PI.  You may need to use a separate power supply to power the relay coils because the PI may not have enough reserve power to power itself and 8 relay coils.  That is done by removing the jumper between the VCC and JD-VCC pins on the 3 pin connector and connect a separate 5V supply to the JD-VCC and ground pins on that connector.  As for the triggers requiring 5V, that is also true but the PI can supply that.  Just connect the VCC pin on the trigger connection pin group to one of the 5V pins on the PI's GPIO pins and the other trigger pins to the appropriate GPIO pins you configured to work with each relay.  Do not connect the ground pin on that connector to any of the PI ground connections as it is a relay coil ground and is not needed unless you are powering the relay coils from the PI.  When you configure the GPIO pins on the PI, make sure to select the inverse option on the output and you will be good to go.  The GPIO pins will be used to supply the ground for each trigger when activated which is the reason for using the inverse option when configuring the PI's outputs.