Author Topic: Ray Wu source for the FirePix  (Read 12424 times)

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
Re: Ray Wu source for the FirePix
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 12:22:35 PM »
Stuff u used was nylon strapping - wolven mesh, but when you made hole in it with heated spike it remelted around the spike and resealed the nylon so it would not come apart.

The plastic "banding" strapping that some used, will split vertically along the length of the banding....

with these new nodes from Ray, looks like 3/4" nylon strapping would be the best width.  Melt your hole, and then push node up thru strapping, and use a plastic nut on the stop side to mount it to the strapping, then node would never fall out of hole....

Myk

David,

Wasn't it nylon strapping - not the poly stuff as it would split lengthwise when putting a hold it in.

With nylon when a hole is melted, the edges form a hard edge and seal up from unraveling etc.

Myk

Well the stuff Rich used last year was the Poly and it still melted like you say. It was like a back pack strap material.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 12:31:40 PM »
This is what Rich used.
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Webbing/Polypropylene_Webbing/Webbing_-_Heavy__1_inch_Poly/index.html

It is very similar to Nylon if fact I thought is was Nylon. Behaves the same as Nylon when you burn the whole.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »
These light are the same as the indv pixel that DLA uses except everything is flat/waterproof, instead of wires getting pulled on and separate to let water in.

Those nodes have single chip per led, as these new ones from Ray do.  Holiday Coro calls them FirePix (trademark there), Ray Wu does not really have a specific name.

But up above, I linked to Ray's store the 50 ct and 100 ct versions.  Main difference in Ray's version is there is not 6' of wire from 1st core connector to 1st node.  Spacing is also a little closer (prob better for mega tree).

I am prob gonna get the 100 ct and fold in 1/2, the 100ct per node is $5 cheaper than 2 50ct.  16 100ct instead of 32 50 ct for my planned tree (1 falcon 16 controller).

Just make sure you don't order is current c9/c7 covers - they are the push on type - he has the new version which screw on to the threaded part of these new nodes.

Myk

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »
that Poly is nylon, made from same product - just called different :)

Myk

This is what Rich used.
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Webbing/Polypropylene_Webbing/Webbing_-_Heavy__1_inch_Poly/index.html

It is very similar to Nylon if fact I thought is was Nylon. Behaves the same as Nylon when you burn the whole.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 03:16:40 PM »
Just make sure you don't order is current c9/c7 covers - they are the push on type - he has the new version which screw on to the threaded part of these new nodes.

Myk

With the webbing in place, will there be problems in getting the covers securely on?  Would the threaded covers be more or less likely to have problems over the push-on type?

Also, are the current nodes threaded? ...which is why you say not to get the push-ons?  Or will both cover types work and you are suggesting the threaded is just 'better' than push-on.

What is the consensus here about covers?  When I look at them I think they dim the light a lot, but I can also see an advantage in "softening" the harsh LED light.  but... with animated effects, do the covers hurt the crisp effects?

just not sure that 20% additional cost will improve the tree... or be something that sits in a box unused.

thx for your comments!
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »

Myk

With the webbing in place, will there be problems in getting the covers securely on?  Would the threaded covers be more or less likely to have problems over the push-on type?

Also, are the current nodes threaded? ...which is why you say not to get the push-ons?  Or will both cover types work and you are suggesting the threaded is just 'better' than push-on.

What is the consensus here about covers?  When I look at them I think they dim the light a lot, but I can also see an advantage in "softening" the harsh LED light.  but... with animated effects, do the covers hurt the crisp effects?

just not sure that 20% additional cost will improve the tree... or be something that sits in a box unused.

thx for your comments!

i think they would look good on eaves. More traditional look. I like flex strips for the accurate vertical spacing, One advantage of strings is you end up with a bigger tree. my 120 nodes was 14 feet with 1.3" spacong. using 4" spacing with 120 nodes on a string it would be over 40' tall.
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 03:25:40 PM »
I have some of the Techni-Color or FirePix nodes. If you are going to use them for a megatree I would suggest zip ties to mount them on banding material like Monkhouse. If you did use the burn method the hole would have to be big enough for the threaded part to go into the hole. Then I would use the slip on covers.

I think regular TM1809 nodes, burn method and slip on covers is the best way to go. And the cheapest.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:31:41 PM by David Pitts »

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »

Myk

thx for your comments!

i think they would look good on eaves. More traditional look. I like flex strips for the accurate vertical spacing, One advantage of strings is you end up with a bigger tree. my 120 nodes was 14 feet with 1.3" spacong. using 4" spacing with 120 nodes on a string it would be over 40' tall.
I plan to use my existing 1-1/2" steel pipe, winch and crown from my original tree -- so I was going to request that Ray change the spacing. 

Instead of the current 85pixels from the old smart strings and their 3" spacing, I'm going to tighten it by using 100pix and 2.5" spacing.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 03:33:12 PM »
I have some of the Techni-Color or FirePix nodes. If you are going to use them for a megatree I would suggest zip ties to mount them on banding material like Monkhouse. If you did use the burn method the hole would have to be big enough for the threaded part to go into the hole. Then I would use the slip on covers.

I think regular TM1809 nodes, burn method and slip on covers is the best way to go. And the cheapest.
"Cheapest" is good... but my season using the IP66 nodes still leaves me frustrated.  I want to turn a fire-hose on my display and know that it will continue to shine lights for months!  :)

I did have some IP68 nodes in the display, and had problems with them too -- even to the point of shorting out with a smoke plume right in front of my face. :(

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 03:35:41 PM »
We here in Colorado do not have as much moisture problems. It is a very dry snow in Nov and Dec with no rain.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 03:52:11 PM »
We here in Colorado do not have as much moisture problems. It is a very dry snow in Nov and Dec with no rain.
It only rains here on Christmas...  3 times.  every time.

Offline garhett

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 07:38:40 AM »
a member over at LSH is going to try to set up a group buy with Ray in the coming weeks if anyone is looking for stuff

http://www.lonestarholidays.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7370

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »
Wow, I go on a two week vacation and this board gets all kinds of active.

1. David has the link right for the type of strapping I used.

2. I would not burn holes for these nodes (Technicolor/Firepix).  I would ziptie them.  The hot nail did not make a big enough hole for the base of these.  It's a lot of extra work to get the hole sized right.

3. I would not recommend using the 3/4" strapping if you are burning holes through it (not enough material left around the sides).  But it would be a good dimension if zip tying.

4. The C-9 push on covers look nice on these strips and stay on well.  However, I would not use the covers in conjunction with strapping.  The weight of the cover will cause the straps to twist around.  You could use covers if using a stiffer material like the emt conduit that Sean uses and zip tying to it.  Personally I like the look of my megatree without any covers.  Save the money for other items.  I do use covers for my house outlines and window frames.  I like the more classical look there.

5. the 100 count lights from Ray are $55 but there is also a close knock off on his site that are clear color for only $40.  These use the same exact mold as the others (I have both kinds).  You have to put your own 3 prong plugs on(not included) but save $15. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100pcs-DC12V-WS2811-LED-pixel-node-with-transparent-wire-with-good-cold-resistance-ability/701799_825504922.html

Rich

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 09:47:12 PM »
Wow, I go on a two week vacation and this board gets all kinds of active.

1. David has the link right for the type of strapping I used.

2. I would not burn holes for these nodes (Technicolor/Firepix).  I would ziptie them.  The hot nail did not make a big enough hole for the base of these.  It's a lot of extra work to get the hole sized right.

3. I would not recommend using the 3/4" strapping if you are burning holes through it (not enough material left around the sides).  But it would be a good dimension if zip tying.

4. The C-9 push on covers look nice on these strips and stay on well.  However, I would not use the covers in conjunction with strapping.  The weight of the cover will cause the straps to twist around.  You could use covers if using a stiffer material like the emt conduit that Sean uses and zip tying to it.  Personally I like the look of my megatree without any covers.  Save the money for other items.  I do use covers for my house outlines and window frames.  I like the more classical look there.

5. the 100 count lights from Ray are $55 but there is also a close knock off on his site that are clear color for only $40.  These use the same exact mold as the others (I have both kinds).  You have to put your own 3 prong plugs on(not included) but save $15. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100pcs-DC12V-WS2811-LED-pixel-node-with-transparent-wire-with-good-cold-resistance-ability/701799_825504922.html

Rich
Great info, Rich!

Offline tmcteer

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »
  The so called knockoffs's...I like the clear moulding so to see what's going on inside. The question quality control.

Tom