Author Topic: Ray Wu source for the FirePix  (Read 12529 times)

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
Re: Ray Wu source for the FirePix
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 04:40:58 PM »
Tom,

I have some of the knock offs.  In a string of 100, I found 5 that have an excessive number of air bubbles in them (it's hard to see through them clearly).  The air bubbles don't effect the IP rating (none of the chips/LED's protruded through the molding) but made the shape slightly off.  I can still get the slip on faceted c-9 covers on, but the smooth milky white c-9 covers required that I trim a little with a razor blade to make them fit.  There were no defects found on any part of the tabs for mounting.  They all look completely formed.  I have not actually hooked them up to power yet, so I'm not sure of the failure rate.

Rich

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 08:55:39 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures.  The clear ones have the same arrow showing signal direction as the Technicolor (it's just hard to see).  Also the labeling on the chip board showing data, +, - wires can be seen through the molding (not pictured).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline zach.stoltenberg

• Where design is needed most, it is least afforded.
    • technicolor christmas
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 07:15:13 AM »
The clear version of these pixels is a "budget" option meant for indoor only.  It's a different type of plastic that is used, non-UV rated and softer.  The wire is also lighter duty and non-UV rated.  I am working on a newer "budget" node option for next season that will stay under the 50 cents a node mark but have a few more nice features.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 08:13:31 AM »
The clear version of these pixels is a "budget" option meant for indoor only.  It's a different type of plastic that is used, non-UV rated and softer.  The wire is also lighter duty and non-UV rated.  I am working on a newer "budget" node option for next season that will stay under the 50 cents a node mark but have a few more nice features.
Zach,

This is all good stuff!  Thanks for your efforts and removing one more obstacle to a successful show!

Steve
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline arw01

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 12:34:27 AM »
Revive an old thread here.

Wondering if these are the technicolor nodes everyone is having a bear of a time with from Ray this season?

Would someone happen to have a link to the TM1804 you mentioned for the megatree?  I have a little 8-9 bush in the front yard that is perfectly christmas tree shappend that I want to realy cover next year.  200 nodes just does not do it, and I'm thinking 400-600 might do it. 

On your megatrees that really can show an animated gif, or the fine spiral details from nutcracker or LSP, how many nodes do you need to get the resolution going there?

Also looking for nodes that I can put into a massive pine tree year round and preferably controllable by the falcon products.

Offline hauvega

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 05:32:28 AM »
I would kind of wait for all the problems to be worked out.  I have issues with moisture ingress. Lack of conformal coating.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 10:12:08 PM »
I would kind of wait for all the problems to be worked out.  I have issues with moisture ingress. Lack of conformal coating.

I'm currently going through my 368-pixel tree and pealing off all the silicon I tried to seal them with and then I'm going to try literally painting them with some outdoor enamel paint where the wires enter and leave the pixels.  It appears that most of my pixels are working after drying out in the garage, but I'm still pursuing a refund with Ray.  I shouldn't have to waterproof these myself and the ones that did have water ingress issues when I had the tree outside are just disasters waiting to happen.  I'm only hoping I can get a few nights out of these around Christmas Eve/Day when the forecast is calling for rain.
-
Chris

Offline hauvega

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 05:31:20 AM »
I think that the trapped moisture is not going to escape easily.  Once the electrolysis begins the deposits on the 12v pad to the data in or out pad help with conduction.  This damages the chip on the next or previous pixel. I would like to see the layout of redesigned pcb.  The 12v close to the data lines will cause failure every time moisture is present.  The moisture may also be coming in at the led. 

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
I'm using C9 covers so I don't think I have ingress around the LED in mine.  I've run the tree for probably 48 hours since I brought it into the garage and slowly, over time, more and more pixels started working again.  It's still a disaster waiting to happen, but I'll try to get it bandaid-ed for another evening or two for my kids since they were more bummed than I was when it had issues because I was expecting the problems might happen.

Offline hauvega

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »
I had the c9 covers on mine also. They were hanging cover down on some modded gutter clips.  I still had the problem.  In one of my nodes I took the pcb off I had some rust on one of the led leads.  Since I have been cutting the backs open, cleaning the top of pcb where the connections and letting dry.  I had also brushed on some thinned conformal coating.  I put some clear epoxy back in the hole.  I am plan on trying to inject some coating in some of the nodes that are not acting up to see if I can find a way to salvage what I got left.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 10:24:25 PM »
Mine are pointed upwards slightly at maybe a 30 degree angle since they are strapped to EMT conduit for my tree so that makes the C9 a tilted hat instead of a bucket as in your case.  I can see how water would seep in around the threads and fill up the C9 if they are pointed down.

Offline Timon

• Developer
    • WarrenLights
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »
I had the c9 covers on mine also. They were hanging cover down on some modded gutter clips.  I still had the problem.  In one of my nodes I took the pcb off I had some rust on one of the led leads.  Since I have been cutting the backs open, cleaning the top of pcb where the connections and letting dry.  I had also brushed on some thinned conformal coating.  I put some clear epoxy back in the hole.  I am plan on trying to inject some coating in some of the nodes that are not acting up to see if I can find a way to salvage what I got left.

If I were hanging them tip down I'd drill a very small hole in the tip to let the water out.

When did you receive your TC from Ray? There was a period of time when some didn't get conformal coated.
I think that the trapped moisture is not going to escape easily.  Once the electrolysis begins the deposits on the 12v pad to the data in or out pad help with conduction.  This damages the chip on the next or previous pixel. I would like to see the layout of redesigned pcb.  The 12v close to the data lines will cause failure every time moisture is present.  The moisture may also be coming in at the led. 

Your wish is my command. Here is the pleminary new layout.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 02:22:55 PM »
Timon's posting had the PDF as a picture...

Here it is, translated as a link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14906846/WS2811-12V1.pdf

Offline arw01

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 03:21:28 PM »
so if I read that right we have the pic at U1, three caps, a couple resistors and a mystery piece on the top left?

The caps are buffers for the signal on the data side mostly? Just curious why you need the buffer if I am correct in their function.

Offline Timon

• Developer
    • WarrenLights
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2013, 04:44:02 AM »
so if I read that right we have the pic at U1, three caps, a couple resistors and a mystery piece on the top left?

The caps are buffers for the signal on the data side mostly? Just curious why you need the buffer if I am correct in their function.

It's the LDO, filter caps plus a cap to reduce EMR on the output. Also the input and output resistors which we're missing on the original design.