Author Topic: Problems testing my first sequence  (Read 389 times)

Offline NOLA26

• Kudos: 0
Problems testing my first sequence
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:15:17 PM »
I have one string of 50 2811 pixels with a Pi and Picap.  I have a sequence done with two strings of 25 pixels.  Sequence plays fine in xlights.  I send the sequence to fpp and upload the controller config.  For some reason not all models export all the time.  If I resend the files from xlights, the models will be there.  I play the sequence from the status page of fpp and the sequence looks like its playing on the status page, however the lights are doing their own thing.  Not the right colors or effects.  The audio from the Pi is nothing but static, kind of like fax or old 56k modem sounds.  The test page on fpp doesnt work either.  Not sure what would cause the sequence to upload and the mp3 uploads but neither play like they should.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Problems testing my first sequence
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 09:43:18 PM »
With a PiCap installed and configured, onboard sound is disabled to make the Pixel output work.

Thus, if you try to play sequence and music, it either skips or crashes.

Get a USB sound dongle (Sound Blaster 3 recommended) and try again.

Offline NOLA26

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »
Ok Ill try one.  I was able to get a sequence to play by using xscheduler, and sound was coming from my laptop.  The sequence kinda skipped a little bit but I assume that was because my laptop was on wifi.  Still working on getting the sequence to play on the Pi as a stand alone player.

Offline NOLA26

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 07:50:00 AM »
I'm running into another issue that I can't figure out.  When I sent to config from xLights to the PiCap, not all channels and ports are imported.  Also, depending on if I right click on the universes in setup - Upload to Controller- Output- FPP Capes/ Hats- PiHat.  I get the configs on port 2 to upload but nothing on port one.  Channels 1-451 are not loaded.  But, if I use the tools on xLights and use the FPP Connect and tick the upload controller config and upload models, I get completely different models that upload.  I get some of the channels on port 1 to upload but not all.  Nothing I do uploads all models and channels.  I also cant play a sequence from the FPP without using xSchedule, and even then it doesn't work all the time.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 81
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 10:37:50 AM »
Not sure what you are trying to upload from xLights, but some options/thoughts:

1) From the "setup" panel, the right click ->hat ->pihat stuff - this uploads the stuff for the "Pixel Strings" page.  This basically goes through your models that are in the range for this controller and if there is a Port set (must be 1 or 2 for the Pi Cap), it will create a virtual string for it and stick it on the right port.  If there are things missing, check to make sure you have ports assigned. (and ws2811 protocol)

2) From the FPP Connect - this will upload the various e1.31 outputs.  That said, I think there is a bug in that it should NOT be uploading universes that output to itself.  I need to check that, although maybe that's what you think are missing?   

Dan Kulp

Offline NOLA26

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 08:28:53 PM »
I went in and reconfigured the PiCap port assignments and double checked that I had no overlapping channels.  I have uploaded the config to the PiCap and FPP two times and these are the two different outcomes I got.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 09:06:38 PM »
I recall seeing there are problems with FPP connect and the Picap so I would just enter all the config info in manually and move on with your testing.  don't let this upload issue slow you down.  Come back and test that again in future.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
I went in and reconfigured the PiCap port assignments and double checked that I had no overlapping channels.  I have uploaded the config to the PiCap and FPP two times and these are the two different outcomes I got.

Youre entering the config manually, or uploading the config from xlights?

Offline NOLA26

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 10:41:46 PM »
Uploading from xLights

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 11:32:22 PM »
Uploading from xLights

Since its pretty straight-forward, Ive always entered manually in port 1 and port 2.  It appears that you have nested ports under eachIve never done that, nor seen it.  Maybe just try removing those, and simply have two rows (port 1 and port 2)?

Offline cheecheman

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 08:11:07 AM »
Do you have the universes set up on the picap and what start channel is on xlights for your first model that might be what holding you up

Offline NOLA26

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 08:12:57 AM »
What is a nested port?  From watching all the how to videos online, I was under the impression that using virtual strings was the way to make multiple elements from one port.  Using the setup with two strings on port one, I was able to play a sequence from xLights.  However, I still can't get the sequence to play from the Pi itself.  Playing from xLights creates some lag because my laptop is on WiFi.

Offline NOLA26

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 08:14:11 AM »
Yes the universes are set up and the start channel is 1 in xLights.

Offline cheecheman

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »
Maybe change from multicast to unicast

Offline Crunchy005

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 10:06:42 AM »
Not sure if this helps, but I was unable to play a sequence outside of testing mode directly from my Pi and picap setup until I had my soundcard setup...for some reason not having the USB soundcard properly setup caused the sequences to not run.  Might have to do with the GPIO pins that are related to the onboard sound...etc.  After the USB sound card was setup properly the sequences ran fine.  If you are trying to run the audio from the Pi as well as the sequence and you don't have the USB soundcard it seems to cause issues.  This is the second post I have come across with a similar issue.
Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with PiCap - Running 2 strings with a lotal of 550 pixels for first year.