Author Topic: Problems testing my first sequence  (Read 393 times)

Offline jtrpop

• Kudos: 0
  • Jason Rasmussen
    • Lights On Symphony St
Re: Problems testing my first sequence
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 10:14:45 AM »
Not sure if this helps, but I was unable to play a sequence outside of testing mode directly from my Pi and picap setup until I had my soundcard setup...for some reason not having the USB soundcard properly setup caused the sequences to not run.  Might have to do with the GPIO pins that are related to the onboard sound...etc.  After the USB sound card was setup properly the sequences ran fine.  If you are trying to run the audio from the Pi as well as the sequence and you don't have the USB soundcard it seems to cause issues.  This is the second post I have come across with a similar issue.
I have a PiCap, have not set it up yet, but using it disables the onboard Pi audio and you need to use a USB sound card: https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?topic=8411.0

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 10:31:25 AM »
What is a nested port?  From watching all the how to videos online, I was under the impression that using virtual strings was the way to make multiple elements from one port.  Using the setup with two strings on port one, I was able to play a sequence from xLights.  However, I still can't get the sequence to play from the Pi itself.  Playing from xLights creates some lag because my laptop is on WiFi.

when I look at your two photos, you have Port 1 and Port 2.  But under each, you have multiple rows (windows, etc.).  I've never done that--I've just always manually entered Port 1 Start/# Nodes and Port 2 Start/# Nodes (and never needed to define my models any further in FPP).

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 12:11:10 PM »
What bwinter is calling nested ports is just virtual strings just like on the F16v2/3
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline NOLA26

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 04:42:27 PM »
I FINALLY got the sequence to play from the Pi!!  Turns out the sound output was the problem.  I went to Best Buy and got a USB sound card.  Plugged it into the Pi and ran and audio cable to a speaker and boom ...sequence played perfectly!  And the sound was output from the new card after selecting it as the default output in the settings.  I knew the pi wouldn't output the sound from the board, but never read that it would prevent the pi from playing a sequence completely.  Thank you to everyone who took the time to help me figure this out!!!