Author Topic: Strange output on my P10 panels  (Read 502 times)

Offline mwestling

• Kudos: 0
Re: Strange output on my P10 panels
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 08:15:22 PM »
It is strange. I can set the second row Int the diagram to be output 1 which is plugged into the top row and it happens there. I can set the second row in the diagram to be output 2, plug it into the third row and it happens there. It seems to be following whatever output is for the second row in the diagram. It is almost as if something in regards to the second row in the diagram is generating that output. Even if I change the output port, it still happens. Even if I set the second row output port to be 6 and plug it into another row, it happens. I even tried to daisy chain the first row and second row off one input, the second row in the diagram is wonky. BTW, when I say diagram, I am referring to the picture in the LED Panel setup screen in FPP.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 205
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 11:31:29 PM »
I'm going to have to defer to Dan on this one, maybe he can take a look at your RGB screenshot and see if it tells him what kind of panels they are and if they will work with the BBB code.
-
Chris

Offline mwestling

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 11:53:49 PM »
Preface this message with the fact that I am about a 12 pack into my frustration so if I slur while typing, please forgive me.

After going roundy round with this thing, I finally grabbed some cables I have for a totally different device, but uses the same connectors, etc. and I started swapping cables one by one. Come to find out, of the three cables I bought from a reputable vendor for our addiction, all three were exhibiting the same behavior. I have not torn them down to figure out what and why, but it is working now. My cable plan is not optimal and what I want, but for now at least I have gotten past the row 2 gremlin.

I am not going to mention the vendor, because it probably isn't his fault and how can you expect a vendor to test every single innocuous item such as a cable. However, I am going to look into this once get some rest knowing that it is working, I will dig into what I found with the cables and let you know what to look for.

All, THANK YOU for your patience and understanding. I hope that this will help someone else that is beating their head on their panel to not overlook something that could be as simple as brand new cables. Now, on to figuring out how to make this thing go blinky in Vixen, but that will be a whole new saga. (I have to use Vixen because the rest of my 39 songs are sequenced in it)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 119
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 10:39:53 AM »
I didn't like those cables to begin with!!!   I make my own.

Offline mwestling

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 10:50:11 AM »
JonB, do you have a BOM for the connectors and cable? I would like to order some to have on hand.

Offline mwestling

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »
Ok, so here is the resolution to my dilemma:

The panels I purchased apparently are a low cost, semi-outdoor panel in that they are extremely bright, but not waterproofed. They are part number MST PH10-4S180301-5500 P10(3535)16X32-4S-M2.1

These panels are 1/4 Scan panels which mean they are not like most of the standard panels that most of our addiction dealers sell which are 1/8 scan panels. These are however the same pixel dimensions (16X32). The mounting holes on these panels also do not match up with most others so the panel connectors from Boscoyo Studios do not work out of the box and you will have to adapt them to work or make your own mounts.

The physical build, setup and wiring is the same as most other panels. However, you have to use a BeagleBone Black (Wired or Wireless) to drive these because at this time, the FPP for the Rasberry Pi does not have a setting for 1/4 Scan panels. I used a BeagleBone Black Wireless (BBBW) and an Octoscroller from (P10 Scroller) from DIYLEDExpress.

The setup in FPP that got mine working is similar to others, with the exception of how you configure the Led Panel. From the fresh install of FPP on the BBBW I set the time & date, network settings, and then the LED Panel. In the LED Panel screen, I setup the number of panels, the outputs, panel numbers, and orientation normally, but the different settings are the Single Panel Size, which has to be set to 32x16 1/4 Scan ABCD. From here, testing seemed to work until I tried to display text or shapes. At that point they looked like Klingon symbols. To fix this, I had to set the Panel Interleave to 8 Pixels Zig/Zag and Voila, it looked like it should. One thing I did notice though is that some fonts will display some weird artifacts around each letter but that was easily fixed by using some other fonts. The default Arial font and size had artifacts.

From here I setup the Channel Inputs so I can drive this from Vixen, setup the panel in Vixen normally and all is well. Yes, I do have it set to Unicast for now so I can test and will try moving to Multicast once I get a chance to change everything and test them if my router will let me do that. (Different post, but I am using a home quality router for now)

I have attached some screen shots of my panels and setup.

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 78
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »

Just a note:  if you want slightly faster refresh rates and you have a bunch of extra longer cables, you could move the BBBW toward the middle more and use 6 outputs on the octo with 3outputs driving 2 panels each and 3 driving one.   That would boost the refresh a bit and reduce some flicker if you happen to see any.

That said, if it's working and you don't see any flicker, then leave it. :)

Dan Kulp

Offline Stormyblade

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 04:43:19 AM »
JonB, do you have a BOM for the connectors and cable? I would like to order some to have on hand.

Ebay is your friend here -- I bought a 50' roll of 16-pin flat ribbon cable and several of the female connectors to make my own ribbon cables. Oh, and a small vise to press the connector together smoothly and evenly. Total cost: < $40.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 06:29:22 AM »
I used Amazon because I was in a hurry

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E57QQVG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JDBZWJG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They actually sent wider ribbon cable than needed, so I have to peel off some strands.

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 4
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »
Now, this may get me some "hate mail" but I don't understand why people continue to use the Pi and PiMatrix combination to control LED Panels.
I still have one panel driven by a Pi 2 and a Pi Matrix hat. It is on the "upgrade" list, though. :)
No hate mail, but a question.  Can you expand on that and give preferences (both for large and small arrays).  You are far more experienced with panels so I'm trying to learn.  I have a 3W x 2H P5 matrix and a 4W x 3H P10 matrix that are both driven by ColorLight cards that in turn are each driven by a Pi 3B, which is operating in Bridge mode being driven by LOR S5.  I initially drove the panels with a Matrix PiHat, and tried the ColorLight as much as anything to learn.

BTW, I also built all my cables other than the about 1 foot cables that came with the panels.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O9Y8X6G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E387HSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 04:10:56 PM »
My experience with the PiMatrix was that the RasPi3B+ seems "too fast" for my panels. (older P10 8:1 scan). They were just glitchy and flickering and hard to watch. Nothing tamed them.

The PiMatrix had been usable with a Pi3B and even a Pi2B.

The Beaglebone (Black, Green and Black Wireless) and an Octoscroller have been good and Dan Kulp has made them very good now. More panel types supported and more total panels supported.

But, my favorite setup is a RasPi3B+ driving a Colorlight board. (I admit to zero experience with Linsn)
I like it for sheer capability and panel support, plus it just seems to refresh more smoothly. My only measurement is "eyeball" though.

Offline Charles Belcher

The 4 led's do not flash on install
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 06:29:50 PM »

I followed these instructions in order to upgrade my old BBB to the new 2.4 image.  When I apply power, the 4 little led's never flash.  The one blue power led in between the cat 5 connector and the 5v barrel connector does stay on constant.

I have tried it several times all with the same failure.
Running FPP on BBB micro-SD
[/size]

Using the micro-SD card for the FPP OS means that the USB slot must be used for either a USB flash drive or you must connect a USB hub if you need to attach other USB devices.

[/size]
    • Write FPP BBB SD disk image to micro-SD card using "Win32 Disk Imager"
        • Extract the .img file from the FPP BBB SD image .zip file
        • Insert a 2GB or larger micro-SD card into your computer
        • Run the Win32 Disk Imager application
        • Select the correct disk drive letter for the micro-SD card.  NOTE: Double-check that this is the correct drive letter as the Win32 Disk Imager will overwrite any data if you select the incorrect drive letter
        • Select the extracted .img file
        • Press "Write" and wait for the image to be written to the micro-SD
        • Disconnect power from the BBB if it is powered up
        • Insert micro-SD card into the BBB
        • Insert a USB flash drive for FPP storage.
        • Hold the Boot Button (S2) on the top of the BBB (near the micro-SD slot) and while holding the button, connect power to the BBB.  Continue holding the S2 button until the blue LED's start to flash. (Some users have reported not being required to do this step if they have been using the BBB already booting off the micro-SD card)
        • The BBB should boot up running FPP off the micro-SD.  The boot process will automatically resize the main disk partition to fill up the micro-SD card, and this will automatically reboot.  The whole process should take under a minute and then FPP will be up and running.
        • Once the BBB has rebooted, FPP will be automatically started.  All further interaction with FPP will be via the web UI accessible via http://fpp/
      One of the 2018 "AllStars" on The Great Light Fight

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 6
      « Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 10:47:36 PM »
      It does not require holding down the button now. Just have the image file on the sd card and it will upgrade.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
      « Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 06:03:01 AM »
      It does not require holding down the button now. Just have the image file on the sd card and it will upgrade.

If you have installed a Version 2 image of FPP, this is true. It included a new bootloader that booted from uSD by default.
      If you still have a Version 1 or no FPP installed yet, holding down the button will still be needed.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
      « Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 07:41:53 AM »

You still have to do it the first time on V2.x if you haven't done it at least once.  After that its not needed.
      -Mark