Author Topic: FPP 2.5 Now Available  (Read 7372 times)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 71
FPP 2.5 Now Available
« on: November 22, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »

New Features
* Detect if SD card does not have expanded filesystem and display action banner to do something with it
* Ability to create a new partition in unused space (instead of expanding into it) to allow creating a FAT or BTRFS partition for storage.
* Allow setting a "First Controller ID" setting for LOR output
* Scheduler allows scheduling playlists across midnight

Bug Fixes
* Fix FPD channel range detection
* Use FPP for default MQTT client ID
* Add warning/info about requiring gateway address
* rpi_ws2811 needs to not crash if only one string is defined
* Update playlist UI to add duration of sequence only entries
* Send plugin callbacks earlier to prevent sequence/media being out of sync at start
* Output processors were called twice
* Pause entry paused for unpredictable amounts
* Fix some issues with FPP connect upload from xLights of sequences with strange characters/spaces

Upgrade instructions
If you have a system running 2.1 through 2.4, you can go to the FPP about page (about.php) and click on the "Manual Update" button. At that point, a big green "Upgrade" bar should appear. You will get all the improvements above except those marked with the "requires re-imaging" notes on the release note for all the versions is upgrading through.  *Note:* there are a LOT of changes in this release.  The "Upgrade" button may take several minutes.

Images will be made available in a few days.   Using the 2.4 image and doing the updates is the best option at this point.

Dan Kulp

Offline SethOF

• Kudos: 0
Re: FPP 2.5 Now Available
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 10:03:45 AM »
Thanks for your work

Offline LedNutter

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 11:22:05 AM »
A MASSIVE thank you from me to.  :)

Offline esset

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 12:46:28 PM »
Thank you for the updates and great work.
But I have some trouble with the update, not sure if the problem is on my side.Same for all my 2.1 devices (v2.1-1-geb54c002)

Stopping fppd... ========================================================================== Pulling in updates... Can not access github, unable to pull git updates ========================================================================== Restarting fppd... ========================================================================== Update Complete.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 01:37:05 PM by esset »

Offline gocats7

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 09:12:43 PM »
Seems to be some issue with DNS.  After upgrading from 2.4.2, fpp couldnt resolve github when trying to do a manual update so I went to terminal and there was no dns resolution, but I could hit things via IP  which confirms internet connectivity.  Rebooted, no change.  I have static network settings so I went and clicked update dns then restart dns (made no changes) and from terminal DNS worked.  Rebooted, it didnt work again so I repeated steps and it then worked again. 

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 09:58:56 PM »
Thank you for the updates and great work.
But I have some trouble with the update, not sure if the problem is on my side.Same for all my 2.1 devices (v2.1-1-geb54c002)

Stopping fppd... ========================================================================== Pulling in updates... Can not access github, unable to pull git updates ========================================================================== Restarting fppd... ========================================================================== Update Complete.
I had the exact same issue. I did a fresh install of FPP and powered up via the usb lead which worked awesome. First time ever using it via USB. It refused to update or allow me to ping anywhere. Only after I had assigned a static IP, configured DNS, rebooted and ran via an actual ethernet connection to the router rather than usb to computer could I do the updates. Thanks heaps to Benslights at ACL for hooking into my screen via zoom and getting me sorted.

It would appear updates can't be done when connected to http://192.168.7.2 via USB

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 116
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 09:56:18 AM »
I've never bothered to try it, but you might be able to get Updates from 192.168.7.2 if you set up a Static Route on your Router or computer.

Offline blackramair

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 10:09:32 AM »
I was able to upgrade with no problem but on 2.5 no plugins will install and the script browser takes me to a blank page.

UPDATE: a second reboot brought the scripts and plugin install functions to work again
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 12:44:47 PM by blackramair »

Offline jtrpop

• Jason Rasmussen
    • Lights On Symphony St
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 10:16:05 AM »
Last night I did one minor scheduler change I've always done before with no issue, and my entire schedule disappeared! Rebooted, nada, upgraded to 2.5, nada, so manually recreated. Thanks for the past midnight scheduler fix. Nothing tested on 2.5 yet and I go live tonight so fingers crossed!

Offline mac50

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »
I was able to upgrade with no problem but on 2.5 no plugins will install and the script browser takes me to a blank page.
Same here on the pi3 but works on PB

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 11:09:03 PM »
I am at v2.5 now. When I upgraded the master, it would not play. With static E0 address, could not access github. With dhcp worked fine, playing and github. I do not use wireless. I did a workaround and went dhcp, and set the router to assign the ip.
This is not a big priority, but is it an issue? I did'nt have that problem on v2.4. By the way remotes worked fine on v2.5 with static addresses.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 11:30:27 PM by aknflyer »

Offline dennismccreery

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 11:45:42 PM »
Seems to be some issue with DNS.  After upgrading from 2.4.2, fpp couldnt resolve github when trying to do a manual update so I went to terminal and there was no dns resolution, but I could hit things via IP  which confirms internet connectivity.  Rebooted, no change.  I have static network settings so I went and clicked update dns then restart dns (made no changes) and from terminal DNS worked.  Rebooted, it didn't work again so I repeated steps and it then worked again.

I had the same issue with the BBB version of 2.5.  Noticed that my show wasn't starting tonight (ran fine for the past two nights) and I went to the Status page, it was showing the wrong date/time (20 days before now).  Checked DNS settings, they looked okay (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  Could ping the primary DNS ( 8.8.8.8 ) just fine.  Went to the Help/About page to see if there were any patch updates, saw this message:

FPP Manual Update

Stopping fppd...
Pulling in updates...
Can not access github, unable to pull git updates
Restarting fppd...
Update Complete.

Tried restarting DNS, then restarting network, no joy.  Then rebooted and it's still the same, can't seem to access the network even though ping works fine.  Here's the syslog messages around the time that the date/time changed:

Nov 20 09:25:01 FPP CRON[6613]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Nov 20 09:35:01 FPP CRON[14187]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Nov 20 09:39:01 FPP CRON[17230]: (root) CMD (  [ -x /usr/lib/php/sessionclean ] && if [ ! -d /run/systemd/system ]; then /usr/lib/php/sessionclean; fi)
Nov 20 09:39:12 FPP systemd[1]: Starting Clean php session files...
Nov 20 09:39:14 FPP systemd[1]: Started Clean php session files.
Nov 20 09:45:01 FPP CRON[21818]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Nov  3 10:17:15 FPP kernel: [   10.722407] musb-hdrc musb-hdrc.1: Babble
Nov  3 10:17:15 FPP kernel: [   10.726466] musb-hdrc musb-hdrc.1: Babble
Nov  3 10:17:15 FPP kernel: [   10.730525] musb-hdrc musb-hdrc.1: Babble

Not sure where to go from here.  Tried powering the system down and then up again, still the same.  Seems it can no longer get to the internet DNS.  Here's what I see from the shell:

fpp@FPP:~$ ping 192.168.29.1                                                                                                                                                     
PING 192.168.29.1 (192.168.29.1) 56(84) bytes of data.                                                                                                                           
64 bytes from 192.168.29.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.823 ms                                                                                                                     
64 bytes from 192.168.29.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.931 ms                                                                                                                     
64 bytes from 192.168.29.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.963 ms                                                                                                                     
64 bytes from 192.168.29.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.903 ms                                                                                                                     
^C                                                                                                                                                                               
--- 192.168.29.1 ping statistics ---                                                                                                                                             
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3004ms                                                                                                                   
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.823/0.905/0.963/0.051 ms                                                                                                                               
fpp@FPP:~$ ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 ( 8.8.8.8 ) 56(84) bytes of data.                                                                                                                                     
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=24.2 ms                                                                                                                           
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=44 time=24.4 ms                                                                                                                           
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=44 time=17.6 ms                                                                                                                           
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=4 ttl=44 time=22.7 ms                                                                                                                           
^C                                                                                                                                                                               
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---                                                                                                                                                 
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3004ms                                                                                                                   
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 17.639/22.253/24.418/2.751 ms                                                                                                                             
fpp@FPP:~$
fpp@FPP:~$ ping www.google.com
ping: www.google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution   

Looks like my system's resolv.conf is getting wiped somehow:

fpp@FPP~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat: /etc/resolv.conf: No such file or directory                                                                                                                                 
fpp@FPP:~$

Appears to be similar to the problem discussed in this thread: https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7847.15.html

I'm attaching my ZIP'ed log files.

Regards,

Dennis the Menace
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 12:08:18 AM by dennismccreery »

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 11:50:55 PM »
See my above post for a fix. Use your router to assign a static ip. Set your player to dhcp. That should get you going.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 116
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 06:03:18 AM »
While all my other FPPs are running v2.x-Master without any issues, I had an F8-PB (pocket beagle) running v2.4 so I upgraded it to v2.5

After that, it also could get no connection to Github for anything. DNS entries were 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1

Ended up Reimaging to v2.4. Upgraded to v2.5 and it did it again.

Moved it to 2.x-Master and is now seeing Github.

Offline gocats7

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 08:11:22 AM »
See my above post for a fix. Use your router to assign a static ip. Set your player to dhcp. That should get you going.
I can confirm that switching fpp to dhcp for both ip and dns does resolve the issue for me (up to you if you want to reserve it).  After reboots resolution works as expected versus when ip/dns are statically configured i had to restart DNS to get resolution to work after a reboot.  So far so good on 2.5 otherwise and this is certainly a minor issue.