Author Topic: FPP 2.5 Now Available  (Read 9468 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 118
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: FPP 2.5 Now Available
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2018, 02:11:51 PM »
Seem to be having a networking issue of some sort.  Everything configured and works but after a min or two it just drops off the network (wifi).  I login to my wifi controller (UBNT cloud key).  It still sees the device but it no longer has its static ip configured for it.  I can power cycle....again it works for about a min or so and then gone.  Was just setting something up to run tests of 2.5 with an extra controller to run inside.

Is this a BBB or Pi?  If BBBlack, then I recommend a short USB extension to get the Wifi dongle away from the HDMI chip.
If BBGreen, it doesn't have HDMI so no problem.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 78
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2018, 02:16:48 PM »

Try flipping to the kernel wifi drivers.   Some devices seem to behave better with the kernel wifi drivers, other seems to behave better with the realtek.   
Dan Kulp

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 02:23:35 PM »
Sorry I didn't include more information.

Its a pi b v2 and its an edimax clone wifi (came with a pi bundle vilros).  I tried both external and kernel with same results.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 03:36:46 PM »
Sounds like your router is kicking it off the network. May need to drop that wireless dongle in the trash or swap it with something that it might work with.

Online Poporacer

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2018, 04:20:11 PM »
Dan,
Are you working on the bug with 2.5 apparent DNS issue? I can provide whatever documentation you need to verify this bug. I tried reverting to the 2.4 branch via developer page and then I had no network access at all, so I had to take my FPP down and connect it via USB to reset things.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline andyaz

• Kudos: 3
    • Bentley Lane Holiday Magic
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2018, 04:24:38 PM »
2 things.
First, I have been having the DNS issues on rPi 3 everyone is talking about. I have static IP on the wifi side (No DHCP on that network) and static ip on the wired side connected to the F16. I only have a gateway entered in the wifi side. I also note it also appears to not want to see the gateway in the test data when DNS is failed. I do a DNS update and restart and can momentarily connect to the outside world and GIT but it goes away.

Second, My FPP running my virtual matrix had to be back peddled to 2.4.2 as it does not output to the HDMI port after the 2.5 upgrade. It also started this behavior a few weeks ago in the 2.x master branch. I can restart FPP and it will send video but when the next sequence starts it goes away again.

Offline dennismccreery

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2018, 04:38:15 PM »
Dan,
Are you working on the bug with 2.5 apparent DNS issue? I can provide whatever documentation you need to verify this bug. I tried reverting to the 2.4 branch via developer page and then I had no network access at all, so I had to take my FPP down and connect it via USB to reset things.

I added a bug a while back, feel free to add to it.

https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/issues/463

Regards,

Dennis the Menace

Offline Pi37

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2018, 09:00:41 AM »
I have tried everything and still cannot get Github to connect. All my Pi's are ethernet connected Eth0, DNS is in DHCP, Ihave read the posts showing how to look at your log files and I do not understand how or what to do. The hostname is FPP should there be anything else there? When I click update DNS it shows DNS configuration saved. When I click restart DNS, nothing happens neither before or after a full reboot/power cycle. What else can I try if there is not a full image to install on the SD card?

Offline dennismccreery

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 09:07:49 AM »
I'd fall back to 2.4 using a full image load on the SD card using Etcher and then update to 2.4.2 from there.  I'd stay away from 2.5 until they resolve the DNS issue.

Regards,

Dennis the Menace

Offline Pi37

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2018, 09:39:31 AM »
I am on 2.4 not sure which assume it is 2.4.0 and cannot update to anything. I was told that the problem when using xlights thru multiple PI-caps is because I was not running 2.5. Not sure if the reason Xlights mixes up the e131 universes up and sends the wrong info back to FPP is the version. they said all of this was fixed in 2.5. So I am waiting on a way to move forward before starting a new thread.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2018, 10:11:53 AM »
So something between the base 2.4 image and the 2.5 updates seems to be causing my issue with just dropping off the network.  Been up for an hour now no issues.  Going to let it sit, and have it as a remote to play along with my show.

Version Info   
FPP Version:   v2.4
FPP OS Build:   v2.4
OS Version:   Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Kernel Version:   4.14.71-v7+
Git Branch:   v2.4
Local Git Version:   dc06c5a (Update is available) ChangeLog
Remote Git Version:   50b3a89 Preview Changes

17:10:54 up 1:13, load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00

Offline Pi37

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
So something between the base 2.4 image and the 2.5 updates seems to be causing my issue with just dropping off the network.  Been up for an hour now no issues.  Going to let it sit, and have it as a remote to play along with my show.

Version Info   
FPP Version:   v2.4
FPP OS Build:   v2.4
OS Version:   Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Kernel Version:   4.14.71-v7+
Git Branch:   v2.4
Local Git Version:   dc06c5a (Update is available) ChangeLog
Remote Git Version:   50b3a89 Preview Changes

17:10:54 up 1:13, load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00
So yours has an update available can you update? does that solve your problem? and why is mine different as I cannot update.
The only difference is Local Git Version shows Unknown

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 11:12:28 AM »
... why is mine different as I cannot update.
The only difference is Local Git Version shows Unknown

I had 3 of 7 FPPs that couldn't see Github for updates.  They could before, but stopped recently.
Changing from Static to DHCP on those 3 fixed it.

On the advice from another post, because DHCP gave them a different IP, I put in a Router entry for their MAC address to always get the same IP that I had been using as Static. After a reboot, they went back to their old IP and could still see Github for updates. (their MAC can be found under Help/Troubleshooting)

Offline Pi37

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2018, 11:35:51 AM »
That worked now everything is on 2.5 Thank you now time to set everything back up

Offline lrhorer

• Kudos: -11
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 12:13:38 PM »
Dan,

I added a bug a while back, feel free to add to it.

https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/issues/463

This seems to be more than a DNS issue.  I opened a bug back on Oct 10th:

https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/issues/426

Not only does resolv.conf get reset, but the routing table also gets completely mangled.  On my system, at least, with both wlan0 and eth0 enabled, the software insists on setting the default route on the eth0 interface.  Resetting the values on the UI doesn't seem to help.  I have to go  in and update both resolv.conf and completely rebuild the routing table by hand.  So far nothing seems to have moved forward with the ticket.

Note the UI does not allow one to specify the interface on which to set the default route.  This should not really be necessary, since the software should be able to figure out if the gateway is on the same sub-net with wlan0, then the default route should also be on wlan0, but it seems to confuse itself and always try to assign the defaute route on eth0.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:25:49 PM by lrhorer »