News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15486
Latest: Cousin_Eddie
New This Month: 108
New This Week: 22
New Today: 6
Stats
Total Posts: 126958
Total Topics: 15571
Most Online Today: 108
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 4
Guests: 54
Total: 58

Getting Started - Planning for 2019

Started by FrizzleFrak, December 19, 2018, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrizzleFrak

Hello all, I am new to the forum and the hobby. I have been looking at it for years and now I finally have the time to get into it!

I am looking at controller selection for my proposed display. I am looking at the F16V3 with differential expansion or just going the F48 route. I can do either a centrally located or distributed topology. If I do central I may push the distance limits by maybe 5 ' on certain elements. I I like the idea of the V3 with differential expansion, since I can do a mix. (Let me know if I'm wrong)  ;D .

The other thing that I have a hard time visualizing is the ports and how that relates to laying out the display topology. I know 1024 pixels/port and that ports get mapped to the elements in XLights. Example being my 3 mini trees total 510 pixels, so I could put them on one port and have pixels left over for another element in that area of the display? I.e yard outlines. (Understanding that power injection or a separate power supply will be required.)  Is the port referencing just the data output?

Attached is an image of my layout from XLights and a PDF sheet of the elements with pixel counts and lengths. Trying to start off in a semi organized fashion....

Thanks in advance!
" You'd find lady luck was really a hooker and you were fresh out of cash..."

JonB256

I would recommend (as a first controller purchase) the F16v3 since you can add two Differential boards if needed.  That would give you 16 direct pixel outputs (3-wire type or 4-wire type, 8-bit or 12-bit pixel support) plus then 8 Differential outputs to 8 Differential Receivers (32 pixel outputs, support limited to 3-wire, 8-bit pixel types)

I mention the pixel "bit" levels because almost everyone here seems to use the 3-wire/8-bit pixel chips - BUT some will use the others. There are advantages to them, but for me, the cost increase isn't worth it. It may matter to Disney but not to me.
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Christmas 2022 Lights by ShadowLight8
Today at 05:54:00 PM

FPP and projector by morrydavis
Today at 05:42:57 PM

Remote Relay Control by MGHaff007
Today at 05:42:01 PM

E1.31 data not getting to WLED controller by morrydavis
Today at 05:41:06 PM

Does FPP include an operating NTP server? by breese