News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15464
Latest: BroJam22
New This Month: 87
New This Week: 5
New Today: 5
Stats
Total Posts: 126801
Total Topics: 15541
Most Online Today: 107
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 85
Total: 93

Wiring up a boscoyo ChromaStar 23"

Started by TxTyphoon, December 26, 2018, 04:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxTyphoon

This was the first year for us to have a pixel display. We kept it simple with a single 220 degree megatree with 16 strands of 50. It was topped with a 23" ChromaStar. I also have 2 DayCor 48 pixel candy canes and a large 50 pixel arch. I'm using a F16 and FPP as a controller. I want to add 9 more stars to my display next year. The problem is the way I wired the star I have it is using 3 channels, one for each ring of pixels. This seems very inefficient. How have you wired up stars to minimize channel usage? I used a single channel on the candy canes and zig-zagged them like I did on the megatree.

Speaking of the megatree, I'm using 8 channels for it, with 2 50 strands per channel with a zig-zag. Can I reduce the channel usage on it too by combining more strands? Say 4 or 8 strands of 50 per channel? Any down sides? How would it impact the sequences I've already done? I'm using Vixen BTW.

Any other tips or tricks?
Brian

jnealand

Do not confuse a channel with an output / port.  Terminology can be important when you are asking for advice.

A channel is something that can be turned on and off and (usually) dimmed. 

A port or output is something you connect to. 

A string (logical) is what is connected to a port and can be made of multiple physical strings. 

A strand is a change in direction of a string in a megatree or matrix.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

TxTyphoon

Thanks! That's a good point. I've tried to updated my OP below to reflect the proper terms and added some detail for clarity...
This was the first year for us to have a pixel display. We kept it simple with a single 220 degree megatree with 8 strings (2 strands of 50 @5v). It was topped with a 23" ChromaStar. I also have 2 DayCor 48 pixel candy canes and a large 50 pixel arch. I'm using a F16 and FPP as a controller. I want to add 9 more stars to my display next year. The problem is the way I wired the star I have it is using 3 outputs on the F16, one for each string (40,30,20) of pixels. This seems very inefficient. How have you wired up stars to minimize channel usage? I used a single output on the candy canes and zig-zagged them like I did on the megatree. I'm using a total of 14 outputs on the F16 (8 for the tree, 3 for the start, 1 for the arch, and 2 for the candy canes)

Speaking of the megatree, I'm using 8 outputs for it, with 2 50 pixel strands per string with a zig-zag per output. Can I reduce the channel usage on it too by combining more strings/strands? Say 4 or 8 strands of 50 per output? Any down sides? How would it impact the sequences I've already done? I'm using Vixen BTW.

P.S.  As I have thought about this more I think I understand how to do it. I'll mock it up in Vixen and report back. I think I can just treat the star as a string with 3 strands and power inject each strand independently.  Then in Vixen I can tie each strand to the star element I have defined.