Users Online
Members: 5
Guests: 65
Total: 70

5V and 12V question

Started by Poporacer, August 20, 2019, 10:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poporacer

I don't think this should be a problem, but I wanted to be sure.
I have an F8PB controller that is going to be running several 12v Pixels. I want to run some 5V pixels from the same controller. I think this could be accomplished if I follow this:

The F8PB will be connected to the 12V power supply for power and pixel power for 12V strings
I will need to tie the negative lines from both power supplies together.
The output from the controller for the 5V strings will only be connected to the Data line on the 5V strings
The V+ and V- on the 5V strings will connect directly to the 5V power supply.

Am I correct? Any issues that you can see?
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Bwinter

Controller should connect both Data and GND (to your 5V strand).

Poporacer

If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

dx9s

I too was wondering about mixed strands and the data line.

(for 5V)
* 0V / Ground (Vss/Vee) is always ground
* +V (Vdd/Vcc) whatever the power rail is named out to string is +5 volts
* Data must be between Ground and +V and assuming it switches between both those rails.

**HOWEVER**

(for 12V)
* 0V / Ground is still ground
* +V is now +12 volts
* Data is switched between what? 0V and 5V or 0V and 12V ?! Makes sense to keep this 5V, but I am NOT sure.

After reading your comments, I believe Data is always limited to 5V !? Can anybody confirm this? I will use a scope to verify operating voltage range for the data line when in 12V mode.

I ordered (will receive today) a bunch of 12V strands, but have spied a 5V matrix for decent price. Operating from same controller will require a separate (external) power rail and tying the ground point together.

--Douglas 'dx9s' Marsh

pixelpuppy

Quote from: dx9s on November 18, 2019, 10:48:16 AMAfter reading your comments, I believe Data is always limited to 5V !? Can anybody confirm this? I will use a scope to verify operating voltage range for the data line when in 12V mode.

All ws2811 pixels run at 5v internally.  The 12v pixels include either dropping resistors or a voltage regulator to drop the supply voltage from 12v to 5v before it feeds the ws2811 chip.  This also means that the data signal is only 5v even if the supply is 12v.
-Mark

dx9s

Thanks for the confirmation. What you say makes sense and I was THINKING that was the case -- confirmation is always a safe bet.

--Douglas 'dx9s' Marsh