Total Topics: 15791
Most Online Today: 32
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 27
Total: 27

Why Can't I Make PIxels Flash from xLights in FPP Bridge Mode?

Started by Gary, October 04, 2019, 01:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

I was running FPP (originally set up from bbb-fpp-20170920.img, but unknown how many upgrades I did to that version, though) on my F16-B outputting to its own strings and to Pixelnet back in December 2018. After properly/gracefully shutting it down at the end of last year, I brought out my F16-B a few weeks back and it didn't boot properly; the blue heartbeat LED was flashing faster than usual. I saw the fast heartbeat in the past, and was solved by restoring my SD card from a backup. Unfortunately, that didn't work after several tries. I have a spare F16-B with the same setup and I tried booting it up with the same fast heartbeat. It seemed odd that the FPP image on two separate F16-B controllers went bad, but oh well.  ::)

In order to get my controllers working again, I needed to start back from scratch using bbb-fpp-20170920.img and re-configure its settings (For some reason, I got an error when trying to import the settings backup I made last year, but I opened the file up in Notepad and deciphered its contents and manually re-entered them).

I also upgraded from xLights 2018.39 to 2019.54.

From initial testing, things seem to be working so far (I can control pixel strings on the F16-B by playing a FSEQ file, the sound works, etc.), but for some reason I can't get Bridge Mode to run pixels when I turn on the Output to Lights option (i.e. the Yellow lightbulb button in the toolbar) in xLights. I went into the Setup tab in xLights to change the values in the Port column to the IP address of my FPP like I have in the past when I've switched between my two F16-B controllers or if DHCP issued a different IP address, etc.  The "Bytes Transferred" heading for Bridge Mode is showing nothing underneath, whereas the number used to steadily increase in the past. When I turn on the Yellow lightbulb in xLights, the small blue LED on my F16-B's WiFi dongle starts to flash much faster, so I guess it's  receiving some sort of data. I even installed FPP 3.3 onto one of my F16-B controllers with the same result, plus some other annoyances such as sometimes needing to click about 10 times on a menu in order to open it up... but not always?

Is there something different with the newer versions of FPP or xLights? This was pretty straight-forward in the past, unless my memory is failing me and I forgot an important (and perhaps simple) step?

JonB256

I'm running a recently updated Master Branch (all of v3.3 plus a few new changes) on a Pi4 master and a BBB in Bridge Mode.

I setup output on the Master to use DDP Raw Channel to the IP address of the BBB.
Then went to test mode on the Master and started test mode.
Initially, I saw nothing. Then I clicked on "Live Update Stats" and then saw Packets and Bytes changing.

Then I went to xLights and made sure "something" was pointed to that BBB's IP address (again, in DDP)
From a loaded sequence, clicking the Light Bulb got instant data on the BBB
From the Test program, enabling Output to Lights got instant date on the BBB

If you aren't using DDP to a Bridge Mode FPP, you should. It is WAY more efficient compared to E1.31.

Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

Gary

I'm at work now and will take a look when I get home.

Any comment about why I sometimesneed to click so often on the menus for them to open?

Gary

Quote from: JonB256 on October 04, 2019, 05:44:53 AMI'm running a recently updated Master Branch (all of v3.3 plus a few new changes) on a Pi4 master and a BBB in Bridge Mode.

I setup output on the Master to use DDP Raw Channel to the IP address of the BBB.
Then went to test mode on the Master and started test mode.
Initially, I saw nothing. Then I clicked on "Live Update Stats" and then saw Packets and Bytes changing.

Then I went to xLights and made sure "something" was pointed to that BBB's IP address (again, in DDP)
From a loaded sequence, clicking the Light Bulb got instant data on the BBB
From the Test program, enabling Output to Lights got instant date on the BBB

If you aren't using DDP to a Bridge Mode FPP, you should. It is WAY more efficient compared to E1.31.
Looking at this at home now, I don't think your suggestions about DDP apply to me because I have only one Standalone Player; I don't have Master or Remote Players.

Also, clicking the Update button or turning on the Live Update Stats checkbox doesn't do anything. Using Tools | Test doesn't make any pixel strings hooked up to my F16-B light up or increase the packet count on Bridge Mode.

Gary

Well, it looks like I finally got it to work. It looks like both a combination of removing and re-adding the same info E1.31 on the Setup tab in xLights, along with closing and re-opening xLights got it to work. I wonder if something got "broken" during the upgrade process as the method to enter the info is a bit different now compared to the old version.

As they say, when in doubt, reboot. In this case, when in doubt, close the program and open it back up again.  ::)

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Warning/Error: Network incomplete frames hit 250. by JonD
February 06, 2023, 04:10:22 PM

F16V3 with 2 expansion boards at 40 fps MAX PIXELS per output? by tbone321
February 06, 2023, 10:51:55 AM

F48V4-NS at 40 fps using all 48 pixel output ports? by Poporacer
February 06, 2023, 10:27:09 AM

Unable to update RPi 5.5 to latest version by JonB256
February 05, 2023, 07:23:16 PM

help getting started, next step? by rayster
February 05, 2023, 04:24:09 PM