Users Online
Members: 6
Guests: 48
Total: 54

ac power question

Started by Charlies lites, October 08, 2019, 08:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlies lites

I'm thinking about how to shut off ac power to my controllers during off times. I'm using a computer to output to the controllers. I have two solid state relays, 25 amps each. I mocked up a setup to test. I found that when the ssr was off there was still 25 volts going into the power supplies, I had three power supplies plugged in for the test.  My question is will that 25 v effect the power supplies in any way??  My plan is to shut off the power appx midnight and repower appx 4 o clock pm.  Thanks you for any input.  Charlie J.

jnealand

What is your motivation for turning off the power?  Just wondering as I have never done that as to me it just more work and stuff to configure and break.  Maybe I'm just lazy.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Reys Dad

I'm using z-wave outlets tied into my ADT pulse system. I use it for setting up a holiday mode (turns on controllers and turns off porch and driveway lights) also useful for controller reboots if your controllers are spread out or you're too lazy to reset something in the rain. You could setup a schedule with ADT or something similar.

Emuney18

The simplest shutoff is a timer. I don't really use them for much animated stuff anymore because I just leave them on like Jim said.  I still use them for inflatables and other static stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlies lites

I guess I'm just trying to conserve energy. I have a small timer but it is low wattage, I did not shut the power off before it was just an idea. Charlie J.

algerdes

Leaving the controllers running is just fine, and preferred in my view.  Unfortunately, in my case, there is a need to "idiot proof" everything in my show when it isn't running.  Shutting down all the power takes the "possibility" that someone would be messing with the site while no one was there.  (Out in a park, with daylight access to all walkers.)

Right now we have timers on the main lines.  I want to put in a relay system with a master control line turning them on and off appropriately.  Your mention of a power leak through the SSRs has my attention.  Any idea as to why, and a possible fix?
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Christmas 2022 Lights by ShadowLight8
Today at 05:54:00 PM

FPP and projector by morrydavis
Today at 05:42:57 PM

Remote Relay Control by MGHaff007
Today at 05:42:01 PM

E1.31 data not getting to WLED controller by morrydavis
Today at 05:41:06 PM

Does FPP include an operating NTP server? by breese
Today at 05:11:29 PM