Users Online
Members: 12
Guests: 68
Total: 80

Halloween 2019, something a little different

Started by nickd, November 11, 2019, 09:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickd

I used Falon Player for a little Halloween show triggered by the doorbell.  There are 4 speakers, one for each pumpkin and a large one for the music.  The speakers for the pumpkins were right behind each one, which really helped create the illusion each pumpkin was talking.  I had one amplifier that was fed into 4 relays that connected to each speaker, giving me faux multichannel audio.  I had a single channel in Xlights that dictated which relay/speaker was on.  I also had a single channel for volume.  Both of those channels were fed into an Arduino via serial.  I wanted to ensure only one relay was ever open as to not damage the amplifier and put that logic in the Arduino.  In the future, I will probably incorporate that logic into Falcon Player somehow.  I didn't have a ton of time this year to put it all together, so will probably add some more elements next year.

CaptainMurdoch

Awesome.  How did you integrate it with the doorbell?
-
Chris

nickd

I didn't get the doorbell triggering working as well as I wanted, so manually triggered this year.  Next year I am planning on using an ESP32 with an optocoupler hooked up directly to the doorbell chime.  With the Falcon's new command interface, this should be easy.  There is also the outside chance, Google releases an local API for the Nest, but I am not holding my breath.