News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15497
Latest: packhawk
New This Month: 5
New This Week: 33
New Today: 5
Stats
Total Posts: 127083
Total Topics: 15590
Most Online Today: 98
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 89
Total: 92

form factors of pixels

Started by Ulan, December 11, 2019, 06:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulan

A general question, but does anybody have any strong opinions on the form factor of the pixels?

Bullets or Squares or these flat ones have any pro's or con's?

I was thinking square's for things against the house because they look flatter, not sure if they would fit into a prop like a Boscoyo snowflak, and bullets for things like mega trees.

Any opinions?

Emuney18

I use square nodes on my mega tree strips because they roll up tighter for storage. The square nodes don't fit into as many props as the bullets. So when in doubt I buy the bullets. Even against a house there's not much difference between the square and bullets.  The flat ones you linked I use are from Ray. I use this with a c7 size around my windows, wrapped around porch poles and on my bushes. I use that same thing with a C9 size for my house outlines.   There is another version that looks more like an old school string of C7 lights that is not a square base but the bigger round old school look. I use those on a pine tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnealand

There is no standard or best practice that I have ever seen and I have been using pixels for 7 yrs.  I use squares in my Boscoyo snowflakes because they are designed for them.  For every thing else I use bullets and I like the fact that I do not have to deal with different pixels for different props and I can move any string to any other string and they work the same.  The less little things I have to remember is the best practice for me because you will be surprised at what you will forget from one season to the next.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

aknflyer

Whatever you do, if they are to be placed outside, do not try the IP67 square pixel with wires comming out the sides, some refer to them as "animal pixels". I made this mistake and everytime it rained, water would get inside the jacket and take days to dry out.
I changed them all to IP68 square pixels, all is good. The old ones show corrosion on the circuit boards inside the jacket on some of the pixels. The spares will be repurposed for indoor window outlines.

Ulan

I may purchase the props i want to use and test before I make a bulk buy of pixels.  It would be nice to use only squares.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Emuney18

You can ask the places you get the props what they will work with.  I will say that often times the squares are too big to fit pixels closely which is why the bullets are much nicer and more versatile.  Whatever you do, make sure you have 1 connector type you use. I have 2 because I started with 1 and am slowly switching to another.  As Jim said, it's so much easier if you only have to remember one thing and not 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnealand

I suspect that if you try to use all squares we will see you posting advice to some future noob on why that was not a good idea.  But if it floats your boat, go for it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Think I found a bug/corner case...please help by breese
Today at 04:19:41 AM

Fpp 6.2 ui password by Mat-Moo
Today at 01:31:11 AM

Controller not keeping accurate time by jnealand
December 01, 2022, 09:38:16 PM

Raspberry PI 4 won't connect to WIFI by Poporacer
December 01, 2022, 07:28:48 PM

BRP Voting Plugin - Allow others to vote for your songs! by Barkers Random Projects
December 01, 2022, 07:20:53 PM

All pixels group ON effect by tkelba
December 01, 2022, 06:48:00 PM

FPP 6.2 Playlist/FPP Command/Run Script vs. Playlist/Script by richardln2
December 01, 2022, 06:16:19 PM

Help--Can't Get Sequence to Output by Oxytousc
December 01, 2022, 05:07:12 PM

Set Time/Date by breese
December 01, 2022, 04:07:57 PM

Differential Receiver Board Ports w/ F48 corrupted data by tkelba
December 01, 2022, 02:58:25 PM