News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.3 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.3

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15658
Latest: CharlieOhio
New This Month: 8
New This Week: 2
New Today: 2
Stats
Total Posts: 128426
Total Topics: 15790
Most Online Today: 50
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 26
Total: 28

Power supply question - Meanwell vs standard.

Started by anthmillward@gmail.com, January 15, 2020, 07:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthmillward@gmail.com

What suggestions do you make on psu's?  Besides being thinner, do the Meanwell power supplies warrant their more than 50% higher price than the standard psu. Are they more dependable, etc?  I'm sure this is just opening a can of worms, but if you have multiple years of experience with different power supplies I think your input would be very valuable.

rstehle

No doubt Meanwell Power Supplies are very good units.  I, for one, have always used the generic power supplies found on eBay or Amazon.  So far, I have never had one fail.  Since they are only used about 5 weeks in a year, I can't justify spending the extra $$.  (but then, I am cheap). YMMV

JonB256

When a new person asks, especially if I think they will ask me for more help later, I always steer them toward the Meanwell. They are "better" I suppose.  If they ask what I recommend, I say Meanwell. If they ask what I use, I am honest. Their decision after that.

I only have one Meanwell. A very nice little 5vdc supply used for a P10 panel.

Otherwise, all cheap clones. No failures in over 10 years, though some are only 4 years old.
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

CaptainMurdoch

I'll add on more decision point to the mix which you may or may not be concerned about.

I am planning to install permanent pixels on the house this year using J-channel.  To power these, I'll have some 12V power supplies in an upstairs bedroom closet with cabling strung through the attic.  In this situation, I plan on using actual UL listed power supplies, not the cheapest power supply I can find.  I may even go the route of using PC power supplies with adapters to break out the 12V lines.  For this situation, inside the house and powered more than the normal 4-6 weeks per year, I want the 'safest' power supply I can find.
-
Chris

K-State Fan

I have switched to all meanwell power supplies just to standardize my setup.  They do have a 3 year warranty but I have never had one replaced. 

The only failures I have had with the generic power supplies is the fans.

jnealand

I have used generic power supplies for years and never had a failure.  In the last year I bought a few meanwells just because of the new thinner style.  I have also bought a couple of used HP 750? watt server power supplies and they worked well this last season.  Think of it this way a Lexus and a Ford Focus will both get you where you want to go but with different styles and cachet and money.  Probably other differences to, but you get the picture.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Unable to update RPi 5.5 to latest version by JonB256
Today at 07:23:16 PM

help getting started, next step? by rayster
Today at 04:24:09 PM

Warning/Error: Network incomplete frames hit 250. by darylc
Today at 04:06:58 PM

F48V4-NS at 40 fps using all 48 pixel output ports? by darylc
Today at 03:59:37 PM

F48v4NS - Pi or No Pi? by joeyblasko
Today at 09:15:33 AM