Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 63
Total: 71

Differential expansion board port 2 issues

Started by ebrown19721972, October 12, 2020, 08:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebrown19721972

I have an F16v2 connected to a differential expansion board via 40 pin ribbon cable that goes out to 4 receivers. When testing today, I noticed one of the receivers was not controlling the lights. I had power to the receiver and verified the string was in working order. I changed the cat5 cable but that did not help. I verified the cat5 cable that I was using was good. I then switched two of the cat5 cables on the expansion board and the receiver that was not working began working on the new port off of the expansion board but the other one I switched with did not work. It appeared that port 2 on the expansion board was bad. For the heck of it, I pulled the ribbon cable cable off of the expansion board and placed it on the other other slot of the expansion board. After doing this port 1 of the expansion board would not work but port 2 now worked.
I am wondering if my ribbon cable is bad? I did not have an extra to try so I just ordered 2 more from David. Anyone have any ideas on what may be the issue? Thanks,
Eric

ebrown19721972

I did more testing and output B does not work no matter what. It doesn't matter if I change the ribbon cable to the other slot. All other outputs work on the expansion board. I see nothing wrong with the RJ45 port either. Thanks

tucsonlights

I know this is from 2 months ago but its probably the rs-485 chip on the expansion board. I had a similar issue. I swapped that out and no issues

algerdes

I have now run into symptoms just like this.  3 different outputs, across 3 different expansion boards.  I have a spare board and will swap the RS 485 chips on the bad outputs.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

ebrown19721972

Quote from: tucsonlights on December 15, 2020, 10:56:40 AMI know this is from 2 months ago but its probably the rs-485 chip on the expansion board. I had a similar issue. I swapped that out and no issues
I just now saw this. Thanks for the info