Members: 3
Guests: 64
Total: 67

Testing with Renard

Started by FIRECOP252, September 27, 2014, 11:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: FIRECOP252 on September 29, 2014, 06:13:25 AM
I know this sounds goofy but I have always had issues with the whole RS232 and 485 stuff.  I am thinking maybe this is a connection issue with my dongle.  Riddle me this...I have a dongle that says USB to 485 but the end of it looks more like a DB9 port connection which I am assuming is more to do with RS232.  Could it be that I am trying to output RS232 with this dongle and I need RS485?  Or am I way off base? 

Did your USB RS485 dongle come with an adapter that plugs into the DB9 and provides a breakout?  A lot of these adapters have a breakout board so that you don't have to use a cable with a DB9 connector with them.  Here's an example:  http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/USB-2.0-to-RS%252d485-DB9-Serial-Adapter-Converter-for-PTZ-Dome-Camera.html

I don't know if the controller you are using can take RS485 on a DB9 or if it is the same pinout, you may need to make a custom cable.  Can you post info on the specific model of USB dongle that you are using?
-
Chris

Materdaddy

Quote from: FIRECOP252 on September 29, 2014, 06:13:25 AM
Hey Mindtrik and Matt

I did reboot twice just to make sure after all my USB were plugged in.

The "act" which I was assuming meant Active IS checked.

As for the 4 port hub, I was kind of thinking along those lines Matt but just wasnt sure since it was Linux and wanted to be clear on that.

I am pretty familiar with the SS Renard stuff and I even double checked my shunts for different variations of hook up.   I even hooked the SS board up to a regular COM on my PC and ran a sequence through Vixen just to make sure the board was working properly  (never know after being put up for a year)  had no issues with that board cycled fine.

I know this sounds goofy but I have always had issues with the whole RS232 and 485 stuff.  I am thinking maybe this is a connection issue with my dongle.  Riddle me this...I have a dongle that says USB to 485 but the end of it looks more like a DB9 port connection which I am assuming is more to do with RS232.  Could it be that I am trying to output RS232 with this dongle and I need RS485?  Or am I way off base? 

Thanks for you guys help in this....was pretty down about the show this year and the FPP got me excited again and is getting me going.  Cant wait to see it work with the Renard!!!!
Act does mean "Active".

If the adapters says RS485, it's RS485.  The connector used is completely different than the physical medium used.  You can put RS232 or RS485 on a DB9/DE9 cable, or Cat-5, or just stranded wire, etc.  I found it easier to try variants of A/B and ground using an adapter like Chris linked you to.  If you have one of those, maybe cutting a cat-5, connect one end to your renard SS controller and the other you'll be able to easily swap into the screw terminals.

Quote from: FIRECOP252 on September 29, 2014, 06:37:54 AM
Also another item....Could I not just plug into the Cat5 Slot in the PI to get a signal since I am going from 485 to 485(I am assuming 485 is the cat5 signal,I might be wrong though) or is that plugin only for internet purposes?

Also do I NEED a powered USB hub using a B...I got it because I thought I read somewhere here about the 1 amp the PS carries and you need more with multiple USBs?   Just curious.

Like Dave already mentioned, the RJ45 jack on the Pi is for Ethernet, not RS485.  Don't plug in your SS to that jack.

FIRECOP252

Capt,

That is the exact one I have here I am using.   Now the pinout I am using is the one I got off the DIYC website.  Is there a different pinout that  might be used?  right now I am using the orange and orange/white on the ground and the blue on A and the blue/white on B....any suggestions?
LANCE

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: FIRECOP252 on September 29, 2014, 08:05:39 PM
Capt,

That is the exact one I have here I am using.   Now the pinout I am using is the one I got off the DIYC website.  Is there a different pinout that  might be used?  right now I am using the orange and orange/white on the ground and the blue on A and the blue/white on B....any suggestions?

I may have to defer to someone with more Renard knowledge (and that will be easy since I know virtually nothing about it).

Is the diagram similar to this one?

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Wiki_-_RS485_to_Renard_Connection.jpg

What color is the first wire on the RJ45, is it orange or orange/white?

If the fourth wire on your RJ45 is blue, then that would indicate your wiring is correct according to that diagram.  If the fourth wire on your RJ45 is blue/white then you should try swapping the blue and blue/white on the RS485 adapter.

Sometimes I have seen pre-made cables with the color and white/color swapped, so orange & white/orange were swapped, blue and white/blue were swapped, etc..

Is there any way for you to test that dongle on Windows using xLights or your sequencer to confirm that things are wired up correct before you try to get FPP working?
-
Chris

FIRECOP252

Capt.

That is the exact dongle I have except made by Hexin.   For some reason I can not get it to work even when using vixen but I have another USB to serial converter and I plugged this into it http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:RS232_modded_DE9-R45_adapter.jpg
and I have no issues controlling using vixen with it.  Not sure what the deal is with the Hexin one.  I have used it many times before on my PCs but now it will not recognize it in the USB port for some reason.  I have changed PCs since the last time I used it but I just went to the website and redownloaded the driver for it thinking that might be it.   May have to order another one. 

I have double checked the pinout wiring and I am just like the diagram says both oranges as grounds and the blue/white is A and the blue is B.  Also checked the factory end of the cable and the colors are correct.  Lost now.
LANCE

CaptainMurdoch

You lost me.

Does the USB dongle that works with Vixen work with FPP when you plug it into the Pi?  You may need to reboot and check the Renard config since it could come up as a different port if you just plug it in after having had the other dongle plugged in.

If that dongle does not work in FPP, it might not be supported under Linux.  If it doesn't work, can you go to the File Manager in FPP and go to the Logs tab and click the 'zip' button to download the logs zip file.  Attach that .zip file to a post here and we can take a look at the logs to see how it detected the dongle.
-
Chris

Materdaddy

Quote from: FIRECOP252 on September 29, 2014, 09:34:48 PM
Capt.

That is the exact dongle I have except made by Hexin.   For some reason I can not get it to work even when using vixen but I have another USB to serial converter and I plugged this into it http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:RS232_modded_DE9-R45_adapter.jpg
and I have no issues controlling using vixen with it.  Not sure what the deal is with the Hexin one.  I have used it many times before on my PCs but now it will not recognize it in the USB port for some reason.  I have changed PCs since the last time I used it but I just went to the website and redownloaded the driver for it thinking that might be it.   May have to order another one. 

I have double checked the pinout wiring and I am just like the diagram says both oranges as grounds and the blue/white is A and the blue is B.  Also checked the factory end of the cable and the colors are correct.  Lost now.

Don't rely on colors unless it matches on the RJ45 end as well as the DB9 screw terminal end.  You can't guarantee that the orange and orange/white are on pins 1&2 like the diagram you're going off of.  You need to check both ends of the cable.

Other than that, I'd say get the logs like CaptainMurdoch suggested and we'll take a look.  If it works in Vixen, it should work on the FPP.  Most of the USB->RS485 drivers I've encountered that have drivers for Windows are based on one of a couple of chipsets that are all supported in linux: Prolific, FTDI, and CP210x cover pretty much all I've seen in the DIYC communities.

FIRECOP252

Quote from: CaptainMurdoch on September 29, 2014, 09:54:55 PM
You lost me.

Does the USB dongle that works with Vixen work with FPP when you plug it into the Pi?  You may need to reboot and check the Renard config since it could come up as a different port if you just plug it in after having had the other dongle plugged in.

If that dongle does not work in FPP, it might not be supported under Linux.  If it doesn't work, can you go to the File Manager in FPP and go to the Logs tab and click the 'zip' button to download the logs zip file.  Attach that .zip file to a post here and we can take a look at the logs to see how it detected the dongle.

The dongle that I linked to in my previous thread will work with my Vixen.  It is a USB to serial cable I had laying around and the DB9 to RJ45 i converted like in the link in my previous thread.  I have a dongle just like the one you put a link to and have tried it several times over the last 2 years when using vixen and it worked but for some reason I can not get that one to work with either the FPP or Vixen.  So in short I can get 1 dongle to work with Vixen to verify it is not the controller(trying to narrow down the culprit) and the dongle you show will not work at all. 

Here is the zip file from FPP.  Hope this helps.  Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for trying to solve this for me you guys.

[attachment deleted by admin]
LANCE

FIRECOP252

QuoteDon't rely on colors unless it matches on the RJ45 end as well as the DB9 screw terminal end.  You can't guarantee that the orange and orange/white are on pins 1&2 like the diagram you're going off of.  You need to check both ends of the cable.

Matt,

Did double check and everything looks correct as far as the orange and blue wires on either end of the dongle and rj45 and DB9 screw terminal end.   Dont understand why this dongle isnt working with either the PC or the FPP.  It worked fine last year when I used it the only difference is I changed home computers but I did download the software for this dongle to the new computer.
LANCE

FIRECOP252

So is what your saying is that I might have a dongle that is not supported by the PI....One other question I have, If both of these USB-Serial cords have a disk for the driver could this be the reason it is not working with the PI because they need the driver?  Just a thought.
LANCE

Materdaddy

Quote from: FIRECOP252 on September 30, 2014, 06:21:19 AM
The dongle that I linked to in my previous thread will work with my Vixen.  It is a USB to serial cable I had laying around and the DB9 to RJ45 i converted like in the link in my previous thread.  I have a dongle just like the one you put a link to and have tried it several times over the last 2 years when using vixen and it worked but for some reason I can not get that one to work with either the FPP or Vixen.  So in short I can get 1 dongle to work with Vixen to verify it is not the controller(trying to narrow down the culprit) and the dongle you show will not work at all. 

Here is the zip file from FPP.  Hope this helps.  Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for trying to solve this for me you guys.

What I can tell from your log:
* At some point you had a dongle plugged in and recognized by the Pi because we only populate the list in the UI when there's something detected.  You wouldn't have been able to configure the Renard device on ttyUSB0 without something there
* Your latest start of FPPD didn't find ttyUSB0, meaning it's no longer there.  Either it wasn't plugged in, wasn't working, or was given another entry (like ttyUSB1).
* Something on your USB bus wasn't properly "talking" with linux.  When it started up, it tried talking to a device on "usb 1-1.3.3" and there were errors.  This could be that your dongle isn't supported, is broken, or maybe you have too many USB devices plugged in.  Is the 4-port hub you mentioned using a powered hub, or unpowered hub?

FIRECOP252

The 4 port is a powered hub.....saw somewhere when I bought it about power for the PI and needed to be powered hub so that's what I got.  I would assume the hub is working since my flash drive for sequences and stuff is reading?  Just trying to cover all my bases.

It's funny you say that the dingle might have worked at some point  because I thought it recognized it on my pc at one point

somewhere in the Show-me State

LANCE

Materdaddy

The hub appears working, I was just wondering if it wasn't providing enough power, but that's probably not the issue here, since it's a powered hub.

For a way to double check that the dongle is working at all, can you do the following?

Boot the Pi with the dongle plugged in.
With the dongle plugged in, SSH to the device and run: "sudo lsusb -vv > /home/pi/media/logs/lsusb.log"
Unplug & re-plug the dongle 3 or 4 times (so it creates kernel entries in the logs).
Download the ZIP of the logs like you did before and attach them here.

This way I can see if there's anything going on with the dongle each time you plug it in as well as what the USB stack sees.

If you need help SSHing to the Pi, let me know.

FIRECOP252

Quote from: Materdaddy on September 30, 2014, 10:18:58 AM
The hub appears working, I was just wondering if it wasn't providing enough power, but that's probably not the issue here, since it's a powered hub.

For a way to double check that the dongle is working at all, can you do the following?

Boot the Pi with the dongle plugged in.
With the dongle plugged in, SSH to the device and run: "sudo lsusb -vv > /home/pi/media/logs/lsusb.log"
Unplug & re-plug the dongle 3 or 4 times (so it creates kernel entries in the logs).
Download the ZIP of the logs like you did before and attach them here.

This way I can see if there's anything going on with the dongle each time you plug it in as well as what the USB stack sees.

If you need help SSHing to the Pi, let me know.

Uh...Yea I think I will  :-[ I dont even know what SSHing is. :o  I sure do appreciate you and Capt's help.

By the way is there a list of the supported dongles for the PI?  If so I will order a new one from Amazon if there is one that is suggested.
LANCE

FIRECOP252

Ok....Dont know if this is it BUT... if a dongle says its USB 2.0 and you powered hub is a 4 port USB 3.0 hub does that mean the 485 dongle wont work with it? 

Could this be the culprit?
LANCE

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

BBB running 3-4 seconds ahead by MATTS
Today at 06:20:53 PM

Setting up new Falcon f16v4 noob question by Scouser10231
Today at 03:45:54 PM

Sequence freeze by jnealand
Today at 02:51:04 PM

Raspberry PI 4 won't connect to WIFI by jnealand
Today at 02:46:23 PM