Users Online
Members: 4
Guests: 52
Total: 56

Lights stopping @ 50 pixels

Started by akakfreeman, November 09, 2020, 03:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akakfreeman

I'm sure I've done some setting wrong, but I've got some snowflake props wired together on the same port. Each snowflake has 48 pixels, but I'm only getting the first 50 pixels to light up!

Previously I tested the same set of snowflakes (8) plus a star on the same output and all the props lit up just fine with power injection. I'm assuming I messed up some setting, but can't figure out what's wrong.

12v Power Injection looks good. I've got power from the controller for the first 48 pixels, then I inject 12v but still just getting 48 pixels on the first snowflake + 2 more pixels on the next snowflake. I've moved the power injection around to different places and still measure good power, so I don't think it's lack of power.

I looked at the Falcon controller settings for the port configuration and the counts look correct to me (see attachment).

Not sure if I have something wrong with some other settings? Universes?

Tips on what I should check for?

You cannot see attachments on this board.

k6ccc

A little more detail please.
What kind of controller?
How are you trying to test? (i.e. from the test page of the controller, or from something else via E1.31, something else).
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

akakfreeman

Controller is Falcon F16v3. I've tried testing from the test page of the controller as well as outputting from Xlights directly.

The other ports are outputting more than 50 pixels. I've swapped other props after the first snowflake and still only the next 2 pixels light up.

Poporacer

Is there a reason you are configuring Virtual Strings for each model? You should typically only have a a virtual string if the model has a different attribute than the rest of the models connected to that port. There is a limitation on the number of virtual strings the F16 can handle, I don't know the number. You might have exceeded the limitations.  I would HIGHLY recommend letting xLights manage your controller to save you some headaches.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

akakfreeman

Doh! Just checked things again and I had this string plugged into the wrong port! Once I fixed that all is well.

But, I'm intrigued by your recommendation to let xLights manage the controller instead of using Virtual Strings for each model on this port. Can expand on what you mean?

Poporacer

It will sound like a lot of steps but it isn't that bad. On your Controllers Tab in xLights, enter the Vendor model and Variant for your controller. Uncheck individual Universe sizes if it is checked. Set the Start Universe to the number you want (I suggest starting each controller on an increment of 100, so controller 1, start at Universe 1, controller 2, start at Universe 101, etc.) Set Channels per Universe to 510 or 512. Then check Auto Layout Models, Auto Size and Full xLights Control.
Once you do that, then go to the Visualizer and make sure the models are on the correct port and in the correct order. You will probably get a few errors on the way, that is expected. Once that is done, save the controllers tab and the Layout tab. 
Then Click on the Upload inputs and the the outputs. Your controller will now be configured.
If you change anything on your layout, add/delete or modify anything, you don't have to assign start channels or anything in the layout, just go to the Visualizer and assign them how you want it and upload. You really won't need to look at your controller again.

pixelpuppy

Quote from: Poporacer on November 09, 2020, 09:56:26 PMI suggest starting each controller on an increment of 100, so controller 1, start at Universe 1, controller 2, start at Universe 101, etc.

I agree with that thinking.  But I'd also like to point out that it is not required to start at universe 1.   If starting each controller on increments of 100, might I suggest this slight modification:
Controller 1 starts at 101,
Controller 2 starts at 201,
Controller 3 starts at 301,
etc. 

Either way works, I'm just offering a slightly different way that might be a little bit more intuitive for humans  ;)
-Mark

Poporacer

Quote from: pixelpuppy on November 10, 2020, 09:50:40 AMEither way works, I'm just offering a slightly different way that might be a little bit more intuitive for humans  ;)
Yeah, but I have seen a bunch of humans that have a desire to start at 1 since that is how they learned to count, LOL (I personally start at 101 and agree that for me it is more intuitive)

jnealand

I used display zones for my starts, 100 for my house mounted props on an F16 then 150 for a Picap with a window matrix and 160 for another picap and 170 for another picap.  200 is for controllers in my front yard, 300 is my side yard.  etc with back yard and P5/10 matrices.

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

akakfreeman

Thanks for the tip on configuring XLights controller settings. As you pointed out, I've had to adjust the start channels multiple times and I kept thinking there has to be a better way! Turns out there is! I'll experiment with that.

Thanks for all the comments! It's great to have all your support!

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

WiFi RGB Light Bulbs (Wiz or phillips) by smoothsa
Today at 02:42:13 PM

Email Setup 6.1 by jem5136
Today at 08:16:21 AM

Sequencing timing... by JonB256
Today at 06:47:30 AM

Pi Top on sale by JonB256
Today at 06:42:14 AM

K16a-b FPP setup by Dunkelzahn
September 26, 2022, 10:59:22 PM