News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15532
Latest: travispauley
New This Month: 40
New This Week: 28
New Today: 6
Stats
Total Posts: 127446
Total Topics: 15647
Most Online Today: 74
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 64
Total: 67

Wireless output to Diff Expansion

Started by b0nafide, November 14, 2020, 04:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0nafide

Hello all,

I'm having trouble figuring this out, so I thought I'd reach out to you all for some advice.

I currently run my main display on at the front of my house with an F16v3. I use a differential expansion board plugged into the main board within the box and then run a 100 foot CAT5e cable to the rear of my house where I have the receiver board which is then plugged into the lights on my rear fence. If possible... I'd like to get rid of the CAT5e cable but I'm not entirely sure how that'll look...

Any way to run it via WiFi? I guess I'll need some RaspPis to do that?

Any suggestions?
- b0nafide

pixelpuppy

You correctly referred to the cable as Cat5e and not "Ethernet".  I thank you for that because its not Ethernet even though many people call it that.  But unfortunately that also means it can not be easily replaced with a WiFi connection.

Diff Receivers use RS485 serial protocol.  They do make rs485 wireless transceivers, but the Diff Receivers use 4 pairs of the Cat5 to carry 4 separate RS485 streams.  So you would need 4 pairs of rs485 transcievers.  Its not impossible, but probably a lot more involved than you were hoping.  Certainly not as easy as slapping in a WiFi bridge.

With that said, you could replace the Diff Receiver with a couple RasPi's and 2-port PiCaps or a single 4-port Kulp K4 and run those as wireless FPP Remote players
-Mark

b0nafide

Thanks for writing back....

I don't have piles of lights in the rear of the house (only 300ish)... So I could easily get away with a single PiCap, I guess. It's not entirely necessary to have them hooked up to the front house sequence either... I like it as a matter of convenience more than anything. 

Okay, so add a single PiCap and a single RaspPi as an FPP remote... should work?
- b0nafide

pixelpuppy

Quote from: b0nafide on November 19, 2020, 06:04:21 PMOkay, so add a single PiCap and a single RaspPi as an FPP remote... should work?
Yes it should work as long as you have WiFi access in both the front and back of your house.   Its what I do.

If you don't already have a spare Pi and PiCap lying around, I would suggest getting the Kulp K4-PB instead.  It has twice as many ports for about the same price.  https://kulplights.com/product/k4-pb/
-Mark

jnealand

Rather than trash my old original pixel tree I put it on my back deck.  I use a PiZeroW and a PiCap to run the tree and a 50 pixel star.  It's a just for fun thing for the neighbors and us.  Runs as a remote to my regular show and I just import the effects from my newer trees to that one old small tree.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5