Users Online
Members: 5
Guests: 64
Total: 69

Xlights layout

Started by Adbrig4, December 01, 2020, 09:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adbrig4

Hello, does this look like a correct layout in Xlights?

You cannot view this attachment.

Poporacer

Your controller addressing is all over the place and you have a ton of overlapping channels so you will probably have problems. 
The first thing you should do is to use the tools in xLights and most of your headaches will go away. In the Controller tab, set the Vendor, Model and variant of your controller, select Auto Layout models, auto size and Full xLights Control. Then use the visualizer to put the models on the corresponding ports. Save your controllers and save your layout. xLights will manage your channels for you and you can also upload the configuration to your controller.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Adbrig4

Ok, thanks a lot. Do I need to do anything different if I'm planning on using FPP to run the show and not a full size Computer?

Thanks again, Adam.

Poporacer

Quote from: Adbrig4 on December 02, 2020, 06:37:57 AMDo I need to do anything different if I'm planning on using FPP to run the show and not a full size Computer?
Nope, except having a Pi or BB to install FPP on.

Adbrig4

Hello, can I do something like this to help spread out the power requirements alittle more? I was reading in the forum and didn't realize how much power pixels needed. Also is this layout looking better?You cannot view this attachment.

Poporacer

Quote from: Adbrig4 on December 02, 2020, 08:59:43 PMHello, can I do something like this to help spread out the power requirements alittle more?
That will work, your candy canes do not look right though and is there a reason you are using all of those Remotes instead of the onboard ports?

Adbrig4

Hello, The candy cane is just a null setup for a 8 channel relay board I've used in the ac light shows to flash and fade A/C lights. Is there a better way to do that setup? I know it sounds like most people don't use a/c lights at all after switching to pixels. 

I got nervous reading through the forum about how much power the pixels use in all white etc. My enclosure with the Falcon F16v3 only has one 29 or 30 amp 12volt power supply in it. I would have a pretty small amount of pixels around 1250 ws2811's but was looking at the math and 1250 x 0.03 = 37.5 amps at 50% brightness  and 75 amps at 100% brightness? That seems crazy to me. 

The Falcon smart receiver is a pretty good deal at $22.00 and I already had and extra power supply and a cable guard CG1500 so it seemed like and easy fix.

Poporacer

Quote from: Adbrig4 on December 02, 2020, 11:27:09 PMThe candy cane is just a null setup for a 8 channel relay board I've used in the ac light shows to flash and fade A/C lights. Is there a better way to do that setup? I know it sounds like most people don't use a/c lights at all after switching to pixels. 
There are a few ways, like channel block but if it works for you, then all good.

Quote from: Adbrig4 on December 02, 2020, 11:27:09 PM1250 x 0.03 = 37.5 amps at 50% brightness  and 75 amps at 100% brightness? That seems crazy to me. 
I think your math is off. 1250 pixels at 30MA running at 50% is 18.75 Amps and at 100% is 37.5 Amps (30 MA might be a little low but is within the range of most pixels)

If you are running at 50% then that would require 225 Watts of power so one power supply would be sufficient. But if you need more power, you don't need to add ports to "spread it out" Power injection solves that problem. Each port can "control" roughly 1000 pixels.

Quote from: Adbrig4 on December 02, 2020, 11:27:09 PMThe Falcon smart receiver is a pretty good deal at $22.00 and I already had and extra power supply and a cable guard CG1500 so it seemed like and easy fix.
And if it works for you, then that is the best way....for you.

Adbrig4

Ok, I was thinking my numbers had to be off, thanks so much for all the help. 

Adam.