Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 30
Total: 32

“Right” way to configure P10s in Xlights? – Current confg impacts Effect Assist

Started by jumblinjim, December 28, 2020, 12:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumblinjim

I upgraded Xlights November timeframe and I was forced to reconfigure controllers due to the new method of managing controllers (yes, I was late to upgrade 😊). As such I had to reconfigure a couple matrixes controlled by my F16V2s, but was not required to reconfigure matrixes controlled by several BBBs. These BBB Matrixes were, as far as I understand, also configured incorrectly, but continued to work as expected within my show. 

The BBB P10 matrix panel configured in Xlights (see CurrentConfig.jpg) has 14336 pixels and is laid out horizontally as a 2 x 14 panel.
Currently set as:

#Strings = 32
Nodes/String = 448
Strands/String = 1

Note this configuration works i.e. my show runs as expected, but my understanding (based on how the visualizer now works) I should have set this as:

#Strings = 1
Nodes/Strings = 14,336
Strands/String = 32

My problem is Xlights does not seem to allow more than 10,000 in the Nodes/String field. Is that intentional, a bug, or a bad configuration on my part?

Now since the matrix in question is managed by BBB and not F16v2's I can revert back to the way I had them configured and all is well in terms of the show working. The issue I then have is that the Morph effect does not show the matrix within the Effect Assist Window. Everything I sequence for a Morph effect still seems to work, however it makes sequencing a little more challenging.

So, bottom line I'm wondering if there is a way I can configure the matrix more properly so that the Effect Assist feature in Xlights works with BBB driven matrixes?

Thanks,
Jim

Poporacer

Quote from: jumblinjim on December 28, 2020, 12:01:38 PMI was forced to reconfigure controllers due to the new method of managing controllers
You weren't forced to do that, but if you didn't you couldn't use the new features.

Quote from: jumblinjim on December 28, 2020, 12:01:38 PMAs such I had to reconfigure a couple matrixes controlled by my F16V2s
you only had to do that if you wanted to use the Visualizer to configure your controllers and layout for you (which I highly recommend!)

Quote from: jumblinjim on December 28, 2020, 12:01:38 PMNote this configuration works i.e. my show runs as expected, but my understanding (based on how the visualizer now works) I should have set this as:

#Strings = 1
Nodes/Strings = 14,336
Strands/String = 32
No, that is not correct, nothing has really changed in how matrices are configured. You original configuration is correct. Why do you think that you need to change it? And you can't even use the Visualizer for LED panels. So I am confused where you are getting this information?

Quote from: jumblinjim on December 28, 2020, 12:01:38 PMMy problem is Xlights does not seem to allow more than 10,000 in the Nodes/String field. Is that intentional, a bug, or a bad configuration on my part?
Bad configuration, Nodes/String is how many pixels wide the matrix is, 10,000 nodes would be more than 312 panels, far beyond the capability of xLights! (for now, LOL) And if it was a Pixel Controller, those usually max out around 1500 per port.

An LED Panel is different than a Pixel Matrix. LED Controllers do not have ports. # strings in xLights is the number of controller ports, LED panel controllers do not really have ports so you configure it differently but if you are connecting to a Pixel Matrix AND want to use the Visualizer to upload your configuration then you need to properly define the # Strings/Nodes per String etc.

Yes, LED Panels and Pixel Matrices are both configured as a Matrix in xLights (since they have a very similar look and functionality) but are very different in how they are controlled and that is why they are configured differently. I think you might have misinterpreted something?

Quote from: jumblinjim on December 28, 2020, 12:01:38 PMThe issue I then have is that the Morph effect does not show the matrix within the Effect Assist Window.
It is showing on mine!

Quote from: jumblinjim on December 28, 2020, 12:01:38 PMSo, bottom line I'm wondering if there is a way I can configure the matrix more properly so that the Effect Assist feature in Xlights works with BBB driven matrixes?
So I think the problem is how you are wanting to use the Effect Assist feature? Why don't you tell us what isn't working or how you expect it to work and what you are trying to achieve?
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

jumblinjim

First, thanks for your reply.

Most certainly I was misinterpreting something. Your comments set me straight.

I can now see the matrix in the Effect Assist window. Bottom line it turns out the Effect Assist was not displaying because the horizontal matrix in question could not fit within the dimension of the Effect Assist window as it was configured in Xlights. Once I popped out the Effect Assist window and resized it, all was well. Foolish mistake on my part, and nothing to do with the settings in the Layout tab. As you referenced, I believe my confusion within the layout settings had to do with the differences between pixel and panel matrixes, and thought somehow it was the cause of the Effect Assist not displaying for the one model.

I have been set straight and believe the feature to be working as designed. Now I need to experiment. It's an effect I've never dug into before, and I'm excited to see what I can conjure.

Thanks again,
Jim

Poporacer

If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

snmpd interference with FPP by Setarcos
Today at 12:31:26 AM

FPP Connect Limiting Uploads to 16V4 by darylc
Today at 12:07:03 AM

Issues with Falcon Differential Smart Receiver v2.01 (Blue) by Poporacer
December 08, 2022, 10:03:22 PM

FPP 6.2 ColorLight Issues by dennismccreery
December 08, 2022, 08:10:07 PM

Falcon V4 Player by drpiotro
December 08, 2022, 05:29:09 PM