News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15497
Latest: packhawk
New This Month: 5
New This Week: 33
New Today: 5
Stats
Total Posts: 127092
Total Topics: 15590
Most Online Today: 98
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 4
Guests: 50
Total: 54

Using more than 3 Smart recievers

Started by John920, January 01, 2021, 10:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John920

I was wondering, I have tried yet because my show I'd still running, would it be possible to run more than 3 Smart receivers in a line. What I mean is could you have more than one receiver designated at the 'a' and copy the ports at 2 or more locations. Like having the same programed group of mini trees running in 2 spots.

Tom L

Quote from: John920 on January 01, 2021, 10:34:09 AMI was wondering, I have tried yet because my show I'd still running, would it be possible to run more than 3 Smart receivers in a line. What I mean is could you have more than one receiver designated at the 'a' and copy the ports at 2 or more locations. Like having the same programed group of mini trees running in 2 spots.
I would think its possible since the Smart receivers do not change the data on the wire in any way.  Besides the 250' total limit of cable I would guess that at some point with more than three receivers the signal will get weak enough to cause output issues with the last cards in the string.

John920

Thanks for the reply. My run is short so I hope this works. I will be testing it out in the coming months.

Poporacer

I highly doubt that you can run more than 3 receivers, I don't even know how you could configure them to do that?
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

k6ccc

Quote from: Poporacer on January 17, 2021, 06:58:17 PMI highly doubt that you can run more than 3 receivers, I don't even know how you could configure them to do that?
I think what he is trying to do is have for example, 2 A receivers, 2 B receivers and 2 C receivers.  In each case, both A receivers would receive and process the same information and light up pixel strings the same.  Same concept for the B receivers and the C receivers.  As long as the cable length is not exceeded AND there is enough signal level to drive more than three receivers, I don't see a reason that it would not work.  Interesting concept.  I don't have enough receivers to test it.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

Poporacer

I don't know how the receivers work, but pixel strings do not send the entire lighting instructions "down the line." The controller will send a package of data with "blocks" for each pixel. The first pixel on the string will receive the entire package for the string, use the first block of data and send the rest of the blocks down the line. Each pixel does the same thing strip the first block, send the rest on. So the last pixel in the string will only get one block of data. I have a feeling that the Smart receivers will do the same thing, receiver A will process the data for itself and only pass on the data for B and C. I could be wrong though. It might work if he splits the cable at the beginning and then runs it in parallel? 

@John920 Are you sure that you will always want your trees to be duplicated? Most people will have each tree individually controlled for a more robust show. Having them mirrored limits your creativity in my opinion. For example, I have candy canes that line my driveway, sometimes the right side is mirroring the left side and chasing up and back. Other times they are bouncing back and forth from the left side to the right side and sometimes each one will be a different key in the song. If they are doing the same thing all the time then it gets boring to me, but that is just my opinion.

pixelpuppy

Quote from: Poporacer on January 18, 2021, 08:35:39 AMI don't know how the receivers work, but pixel strings do not send the entire lighting instructions "down the line." The controller will send a package of data with "blocks" for each pixel. The first pixel on the string will receive the entire package for the string, use the first block of data and send the rest of the blocks down the line. Each pixel does the same thing strip the first block, send the rest on. So the last pixel in the string will only get one block of data. I have a feeling that the Smart receivers will do the same thing, receiver A will process the data for itself and only pass on the data for B and C.

Smart Receivers work more like serial DMX chains than pixel strings.   IF they worked like pixels, then you wouldn't have to set the switches to tell the receiver if its A, B, or C.  I don't have any Smart Receivers to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure you can put them in any order and they work because the whole stream is sent down the full length of the wire and nothing is stripped off.  Each device knows its address (from the dip switches) and will read its data as it passes through.  This is somewhat similar to how serial DMX works. The full data is sent all the way down the line, passing through each device.  Each devices knows its ID, so they don't have to be connected in sequential order.  And like DMX, you can have multiple devices on that chain with the same ID/Address and they should act like clones of each other.

So....I'm pretty sure you could have more than one Smart Receiver with the same ID and they would act like clones.  And that would mean you could have more than three in one chain, but with only 2 dip switches, you can only have 3 unique IDs (ID 0 is reserved for "dumb" receivers)
-Mark

k6ccc

Quote from: Poporacer on January 18, 2021, 08:35:39 AMI don't know how the receivers work, but pixel strings do not send the entire lighting instructions "down the line." The controller will send a package of data with "blocks" for each pixel. The first pixel on the string will receive the entire package for the string, use the first block of data and send the rest of the blocks down the line. Each pixel does the same thing strip the first block, send the rest on. So the last pixel in the string will only get one block of data. I have a feeling that the Smart receivers will do the same thing, receiver A will process the data for itself and only pass on the data for B and C.

I don't know either, but I happen to have a smart receiver board sitting in front of me on my desk.  Looking at the PC board, it looks like it is straight wires between the two RJ45 connectors.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

David Pitts

Quote from: pixelpuppy on January 18, 2021, 11:30:27 AM

Smart Receivers work more like serial DMX chains than pixel strings.  IF they worked like pixels, then you wouldn't have to set the switches to tell the receiver if its A, B, or C.  I don't have any Smart Receivers to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure you can put them in any order and they work because the whole stream is sent down the full length of the wire and nothing is stripped off.  Each device knows its address (from the dip switches) and will read its data as it passes through.  This is somewhat similar to how serial DMX works. The full data is sent all the way down the line, passing through each device.  Each devices knows its ID, so they don't have to be connected in sequential order.  And like DMX, you can have multiple devices on that chain with the same ID/Address and they should act like clones of each other.

So....I'm pretty sure you could have more than one Smart Receiver with the same ID and they would act like clones.  And that would mean you could have more than three in one chain, but with only 2 dip switches, you can only have 3 unique IDs (ID 0 is reserved for "dumb" receivers)

Mark is correct. You can set two to same ID and they will behave the same.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Poporacer

Quote from: David Pitts on January 19, 2021, 02:26:38 AMMark is correct. You can set two to same ID and they will behave the same.
He usually is! I wasn't sure and I was just speculating.

Thanks to both of you.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Think I found a bug/corner case...please help by breese
Today at 06:39:36 AM

Fpp 6.2 ui password by Mat-Moo
Today at 01:31:11 AM

Controller not keeping accurate time by jnealand
December 01, 2022, 09:38:16 PM

Raspberry PI 4 won't connect to WIFI by Poporacer
December 01, 2022, 07:28:48 PM

BRP Voting Plugin - Allow others to vote for your songs! by Barkers Random Projects
December 01, 2022, 07:20:53 PM

All pixels group ON effect by tkelba
December 01, 2022, 06:48:00 PM

FPP 6.2 Playlist/FPP Command/Run Script vs. Playlist/Script by richardln2
December 01, 2022, 06:16:19 PM

Help--Can't Get Sequence to Output by Oxytousc
December 01, 2022, 05:07:12 PM

Set Time/Date by breese
December 01, 2022, 04:07:57 PM

Differential Receiver Board Ports w/ F48 corrupted data by tkelba
December 01, 2022, 02:58:25 PM